Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 07:09 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,217,266 times

Advertisements

So I am at a place that I need to decide where I want to move so that I can leave Atlanta by January of next year. My options right now are between Dallas and Chicago.

I'd much rather come back to my hometown of Chicago. I miss the city, the beauty of it, all the things there is to do, the urban scape. The job market is really good in TX. My immediate family moved to Dallas three months ago without jobs and found work literally in a few weeks. My mom is really pushing for me to come to Dallas. So far, from everything I've researched about Dallas, it sounds exactly like everything I don't like about Atlanta and has nothing going for it except a good job market. She talked to my grandmother in Chicago today and told her that I want to go back to Chicago. My grandmother told my mom that there are no jobs in Chicago and the ones there are, aren't paying well.

How true is this? Is the job market in Chicago as bad as my grandmother is making it out to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 07:13 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,104,142 times
What are you looking for?

Old 04-09-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
What are you looking for?
I'm looking to transition into project management and find work as an associate/assistant project manager.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:10 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I'm looking to transition into project management and find work as an associate/assistant project manager.
Job market isn't that bad. Ideal? No. But what industry are you looking into?

I think the job market in Chicago is pretty solid for college educated folks who have good experience. I think in regards to manufacturing and more labor intensive types of jobs, it really is not too good.

I really think its worth it to come back if you love it here.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:13 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Job market isn't that bad. Ideal? No. But what industry are you looking into?

I think the job market in Chicago is pretty solid for college educated folks who have good experience. I think in regards to manufacturing and more labor intensive types of jobs, it really is not too good.

I really think its worth it to come back if you love it here.
What about recent college grads with little to no experience? You know, someone in an age range that's more likely to up and move to Chicago than a middle aged person with good experience and an established life? The market seems to suck for them..

Old 04-09-2013, 09:15 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,104,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
The job market is okay right now, particularly if you have a degree.

That said, project management is either a position hired internally from existing sme's or hired externally from someone wih extensive experience in project management. Might be hard to find a job in a new city 'transitioning' into a project management role if you don't have experience and credentials.

That said, you should look into professional associations like PMI to help your search.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
What about recent college grads with little to no experience? You know, someone in an age range that's more likely to up and move to Chicago than a middle aged person with good experience and an established life? The market seems to suck for them..
It's why I said college degree WHO HAVE good experience.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
The job market is okay right now, particularly if you have a degree.

That said, project management is either a position hired internally from existing sme's or hired externally from someone wih extensive experience in project management. Might be hard to find a job in a new city 'transitioning' into a project management role if you don't have experience and credentials.

That said, you should look into professional associations like PMI to help your search.
Thanks! I am currently preparing to enroll in a PMI course so I can prepare for the exam and also become a PMI member. They have many opportunities to gain hands-on experience which I plan to take complete advatage of. Hoping to able to sit for the exam before the end of July.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:20 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
It's why I said college degree WHO HAVE good experience.
Well, I guess that's good for older people who are getting laid off. However, not for my generation.

It kinda would be nice if so many people weren't getting laid off and the job market was good for the "inexperienced" though.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Well, I guess that's good for older people who are getting laid off. However, not for my generation.

It kinda would be nice if so many people weren't getting laid off and the job market was good for the "inexperienced" though.
Ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: