Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2013, 08:36 AM

852 posts, read 1,357,412 times

Advertisements

I wanted to know from some of you that live (or have lived) in Chicago, whether it's advisable to stay in Evanston even though I plan to spend most of my time in Chicago. While I'm there, I'd like to go to Wrigley Field for a game and one of the roof tops for a second game. Of course, we also plan to visit a few of the museums and other sites. A few questions. What is going on from May 17-20 that has caused hotels on Michigan Ave to double in price? Due to the hotel prices, we've booked a room in a bed and breakfast in Evanston. It looks like we can take the purple line from Evanston to Wrigley? How long will this take and is it safe? How about heading back at night on the purple line? If I had to pick between Wrigely or the roof top, which should I choose? If you had to pick the top 2-3 attractions, what are they? Lastly, any great Chicago food near Wrigely Field? Is there anything to do in Evanston? Finally, any other advice you have for a newbie would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 08:59 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,849 times
Not sure what's going on that weekend, but yes the purple line is safe (although you would switch to the red line at the Howard stop - the purple line stops at Howard on the weekends).

When you want to head downtown for museums/etc, you might want to use Metra instead of CTA to save some time. The UP-N line has three stops in Evanston. See metrarail.com

Old 04-13-2013, 09:53 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,456 times
The Red Line stops right at Wrigley Field (Addison Stop) and goes to Howard where you change for the Purple Line to Evanston. The Art Institute is quite impressive as is the Shedd Aquarium. The architectural boat tour on the Chicago River at Michigan Avenue is also worth doing.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:00 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
In order of importance -- rooftops cannot hold a candle to the appeal of being inside the ballpark. If you can score tickets in the main grandstand behind the first or third base line it is truly one of the most up lose experinced one can have in any major outdoor sports arena anywhere. Rooftops are sorta unique but unless you go with a big group of friends / coworkers most of the appeal is lost.

Second staying in Evanston will add lots of needless travel time and require you to be tied to a schedule that plops you back in Evanston when things are shutting down up there but still hoping in Chicago...

If you have the money to stay in Chicago I would strongly recommend doing so. If you want to take your chances with those airbnb places that is a whole other ball of wax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago