Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2008, 06:49 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,215,264 times

Advertisements

I hear that slang that guy posted too.

Maybe you guys are just too old.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:59 PM

33 posts, read 115,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
No that was Chicago slang to the fullest. Same with other long list the other guy posted up before him. Me n my boys use those words everyday.

also, don't forget "square", which means cigarrette. A common term u'll hear at parties when someone wants a cigarrette is "bum a loose square?" Also, Joe is jus a different pronounciation of the word "yo", when me n boys write each other, we spell at as "jo". It's got more lisspy sound to it too, more like "jsshhyo", instead of a hard "j", if i had to spell it out. Also get rid of the "h" in jus about every word that uses it. Everything these two dudes above stated tho is real Chicago talk.
Yea all my guys smoke squares. I just didnt know if that was Chicago slang or if everybody says it. But I was thinking bout adding it to the list. I just wasnt too sure if we was the only ones who smoked squares. Well I should say "they" cuz I personally never smoked a cigarette in my life. I keep it strictly weed.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:06 PM

668 posts, read 2,350,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMeBitches View Post
Yea all my guys smoke squares. I just didnt know if that was Chicago slang or if everybody says it. But I was thinking bout adding it to the list. I just wasnt too sure if we was the only ones who smoked squares. Well I should say "they" cuz I personally never smoked a cigarette in my life. I keep it strictly weed.
yeah i was wonderin too for while, but I been around the block a couple times n I ain't seen nobody anywhere else ever use the word squares. jus people here in chicago, so im thinkin it's safe to add to the list. n yeah, i love my bud too.

also, another word i hear round here that I jus remebered was "slippin". This might be more widespread, but it means like "u messin up", kinda like trippin. like "man u slippin (up)" or "I'ma catch u when u slippin". Jus another one ta add ta the list i guess.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:00 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,964,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
Well I guess the median would be it's Chicago hood slang. Each hood in each city got's there own slang. like "dun" in NYC or "mane" in memphis for example.

And "square" is not hood slang, everybody says "square", same with not using the "h" in words and replacing "th" with "d".

But on a different note, my dad loved to use the word "jagoff" when driving, that's where u hear the word the most.
Oh, I understand that all too well, the people (particularly the younger ones) here in NYC often use a lot of the words that are coined as 'hood' slang on a regular basis, so it's not restricted to just those areas.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:05 AM

245 posts, read 694,919 times
Many years ago I worked with a guy from SoCal. The company we worked for decided to sponser a softball team. This guy was all excited and bragged about how good he was.

The first day of practice he shows up at the field with his mitt. I told him he wasn't going to need it. You should have seen the look on his face when the 16" ball came out. He was sure it was some kind of trick we were playing on him. He almost fell down laughing when the pitcher lobed the ball over the plate (slow pitch).

Does anybody call 16" softball style of play, Clincher? That is what I always called it. Did you know softball was invented in Chicago?

A few other terms, how about a Den (like a family room). My grands used davenport for sofa but a friend from Canada calls a sofa a chesterfield. I think both terms are brand names. What about cashbox for toll booth. I gave an out-of-town friend directions once and said "you get off right after the cashbox". I had to explain I meant toll booth.

I love local slang so here is one from Michigan that cracked me up...tourists are called Fudgies. Don't know how wide spread it is however.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:32 PM

456 posts, read 1,572,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
It's funny when you're away from Chicago for a long time and you come back to visit family, you're hit with all the slag you sort of forgot about. My cousin's favorite word has to be "jag off." He said it in reference to his neighbor one Christmas visit and I just died laughing. I totally forgot about the term and suddenly had childhood memories of the adults in the family, doing the gossip thing and complaining about the "jag off down the street".
Ah, I guess now that I think about it..jagoff really is Chicago slang. Probably explains the weird reactions I got from my friends when i said it out here (Denver)

Old 11-20-2008, 04:07 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,657,030 times
Cigarettes were called "squares" in white neighborhoods in Chicago 50 years ago. I remember a little corner store at Cicero and Quincy where I used to get "squares"; we'd smoke in the gangway before school down the block at Resurrection.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:20 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,644,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Cigarettes were called "squares" in white neighborhoods in Chicago 50 years ago. I remember a little corner store at Cicero and Quincy where I used to get "squares"; we'd smoke in the gangway before school down the block at Resurrection.
I like that one. If I still smoked, I'd use it regularly.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:46 PM

668 posts, read 2,350,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
yeah everybody i know says squares.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:16 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,447,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I like that one. If I still smoked, I'd use it regularly.
I prefer "a smoke." But "square" still does beat asking for a "f a g!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago