Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 02:10 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Well I was kidding about it.

I feel if you have lived here 5+ years and embrace Chicago culture and really appreciate the city and don't live in a bubble here, I think it's more than fair to consider you a Chicagoan.

However if you were raised here from childhood to adulthood and move elsewhere, I think it's safe to say that you will always be a Chicagoan.
But regardless I don't consider the OP a Chicagoan. Not now, not ever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 02:44 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
I recently learned that if I want to be considered a true Chicagoan, I have to stop calling that place where you get your drivers license the DMV.
Really? Everyone I know calls it that, but it may more due to the Simpsons/Patti & Selma than anything related to Chicago.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:48 PM

486 posts, read 863,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Not if you're going to say "y'all"! It's "you guys"! Also, somebody posted on page 1 about "kiddy corner". That's wrong it's "kitty corner". Otherwise, yeah, if you've lived in Chicago awhile and have gotten to know the city warts and all, I'd call you a Chicagoan. I may have given up my rights, now that I live in Elgin, but both parents were born in Chicago and I had grandparents living in Bucktown in the early 1900's.
[quote=mjtinmemphis;29260160]
Quote:
Originally Posted by key4lp View Post
Walking to the right on a busy street is the only thing that I do that you listed above.

I'm a vegan so I would never eat Italian beef American beef or Chinese beef!
I hate the cubs!
Forest preserves are Parks. Get it right!!!
R Kelly is the only celebrity I can name from Chicago.
What's a gang way again?
Kiddy corner??? Your kidding me...right? Lol.
Chicago has many beautiful parks. Forest Preserves are exactly what they sound like: dense forested
areas that are preserved around an urban and suburban setting.
Gang way...look it up or ask a Chicagoan.
And if the only Chicagoan you know of is R Kelly you must be very young.

Additions: Instead of saying do you want to come with me you say "You want to come with?"
How many people remember the front room?

Old 04-23-2013, 02:53 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Really? Everyone I know calls it that, but it may more due to the Simpsons/Patti & Selma than anything related to Chicago.
Everyone you know in Illinois calls it the DMV? I've only heard it called the Secretary of State office here, which I find to be bizarre. I've also lived in states where it is called the BMV and the Tag Agency, though.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:55 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key4lp View Post
Additions: Instead of saying do you want to come with me you say "You want to come with?"
God damn I hate that one, also. It, too, seems to be an Upper Midwest thing and not just a Chicago thing.

Repeat after me, people:

"Do you want to come?" is acceptable.

"Do you want to come with me/us?" is acceptable.

"Do you want to come with?" is not. You sound like a moron when you do this. Please stop it. Thank you.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:56 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
But regardless I don't consider the OP a Chicagoan. Not now, not ever!
Lol

Old 04-23-2013, 02:57 PM

928 posts, read 1,713,441 times
Yeah, it's called the DMV in California. (Makes sense they'd call it that on a TV show whose writers and producers live in So Cal.) Apparently I'm supposed to call it the "Secretary of State" in Illinois. That just doesn't feel right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
God damn I hate that one, also. It, too, seems to be an Upper Midwest thing and not just a Chicago thing.

Repeat after me, people:

"Do you want to come?" is acceptable.

"Do you want to come with me/us?" is acceptable.

"Do you want to come with?" is not. You sound like a moron when you do this. Please stop it. Thank you.
Heh. I said "Wanna come with?" to someone, was looked at strangely, then told "You've been in the Midwest for too long."

Old 04-23-2013, 03:03 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Yeah, it's called the DMV in California. (Makes sense they'd call it that on a TV show whose writers and producers live in So Cal.) Apparently I'm supposed to call it the "Secretary of State" in Illinois. That just doesn't feel right.
Maybe. But that is how I have always heard it called in my 33 years of driving in this area.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:09 PM

928 posts, read 1,713,441 times
Oh, well then nuts to that! DMV it is! Not that I was going to stop calling it that anyway.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:13 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
After living in Chicago for 5 years am I officially a Chicagoan?

I love living here but I don't have the life experiences that natives have with growing up here. All my local friends tell me that I'm beginning to act like the natives.

How do "yall" all feel about transplants being identified as Chicagoans.
No, you are not a Chicagoan. You only get that label if you had to suffer growing up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago