Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 11:03 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,179,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
How much would you guys consider to be a "few" neighborhoods??

B/c i can think of SEVERAL neighborhoods in Chicago where crime is a real issue, and some more neighborhoods where crime is still a moderate concern.
When the word "dangerous" is used (as it is in this thread title), people are usually talking more specifically about violent crime rather than crime in general. While it can (and does) occur anywhere, in Chicago it's most heavily concentrated in Austin and Englewood, and some of their bordering neighborhoods. Pretty much anywhere else it's probably within a standard deviation of the national mean.

Relative to the rest of the first world, I'd say our entire nation has a problem with violent crime, and it doesn't appear our lawmakers have any desire to address that anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 11:13 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,764,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
When the word "dangerous" is used (as it is in this thread title), people are usually talking more specifically about violent crime rather than crime in general. While it can (and does) occur anywhere, in Chicago it's most heavily concentrated in Austin and Englewood, and some of their bordering neighborhoods. Pretty much anywhere else it's probably within a standard deviation of the national mean.
Very much so. Well at least 6 months ago, 75% of the homicides in Chicago from 2007 were committed in only 25% of the 77 community areas. I calculated that the other 75% of community areas in Chicago basically have a similar homicide rate as NYC and Los Angeles. I should recalculate that to today..

Quote:
Relative to the rest of the first world, I'd say our entire nation has a problem with violent crime, and it doesn't appear our lawmakers have any desire to address that anytime soon.
Sad isn't it?

Old 04-26-2013, 11:18 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,374,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Very much so. Well at least 6 months ago, 75% of the homicides in Chicago from 2007 were committed in only 25% of the 77 community areas. I calculated that the other 75% of community areas in Chicago basically have a similar homicide rate as NYC and Los Angeles. I should recalculate that to today..
I don't see how that is any different than any other big city in the country. I would wager NYC, LA, BOS, SF, DC all roughly have 75% of their homicides in 25% of the land area/neighborhoods.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
I don't see how that is any different than any other big city in the country. I would wager NYC, LA, BOS, SF, DC all roughly have 75% of their homicides in 25% of the land area/neighborhoods.
When did I ever say in my post that it was different than any other big city? I was merely bringing up a statistic for Chicago.

And sure, we should calculate what it is for the other large cities in the US if we can like NYC, LA, etc. It would be interesting to see which cities in the US, at least for homicides, are more spread out than others on average.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
When did I ever say in my post that it was different than any other big city? I was merely bringing up a statistic for Chicago.

And sure, we should calculate what it is for the other large cities in the US if we can like NYC, LA, etc. It would be interesting to see which cities in the US, at least for homicides, are more spread out than others on average.
You didn't say it, but often times people on this forum use the crutch of "Chicago's murders are concentrated in certain areas (south side/west side)" and while that may be true, it is true of almost all US cities.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
You didn't say it, but often times people on this forum use the crutch of "Chicago's murders are concentrated in certain areas (south side/west side)" and while that may be true, it is true of almost all US cities.
First of all, as I do that too, it's not meant to differentiate it from other cities. The point of bringing it up is to tell people who think all of Chicago is a rampant war zone that they will probably not run into any serious crime if they stay away from those areas, especially if they're just visiting for a few days. The media portrays Chicago sometimes as a dangerous hell hole, and the point of bringing it up is to educate the people ignorant to this fact we're bringing up.

Also, I would wager that some cities are more spread out than others, but usually they're the more dangerous mid sized cities and not necessarily the large ones.

Another dimension to this is proximity to "good" neighborhoods. Some are better than others about this. You can easily walk into Tenderloin (which is overrated for "danger" on another note IMO) in San Fran from a good neighborhood if you aren't careful, and I guess the same is true if you're walking from say Hyde Park, but some cities are better at segregating the violence via location than others too.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
First of all, as I do that too, it's not meant to differentiate it from other cities. The point of bringing it up is to tell people who think all of Chicago is a rampant war zone that they will probably not run into any serious crime if they stay away from those areas, especially if they're just visiting for a few days. The media portrays Chicago sometimes as a dangerous hell hole, and the point of bringing it up is to educate the people ignorant to this fact we're bringing up.

I understand, maybe I give people too much credit; I would assume any intelligent person would understand that the violent crime in Chicago (or any other major city) is concentrated to specific areas.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I understand, maybe I give people too much credit; I would assume any intelligent person would understand that the violent crime in Chicago (or any other major city) is concentrated to specific areas.
My experience is that people listen a lot to the media and even the ones who are aware of this general statistic for large cities sometimes throw it out for Chicago whether they're just visiting here or just moving here.

Even some people who live here, outside of the general Loop, NNS, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Lincoln Square areas and Englewood, Humboldt Park, etc don't have a huge clue ...sometimes. I know someone who's lived here for 20 years and thinks Ashburn is as dangerous as say..Englewood.

Also, people on the outside tend to generally listen to the media and think ALL of the south side is bad and I've met many residents here who think the same thing.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:44 AM

5,523 posts, read 13,888,388 times
Quote:
I think people who have little experience with big cities (most of the American population) don't realize how segregated crime tends to be in Chicago (and other cities).

Old 04-26-2013, 12:00 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,179,284 times
Quote:
I don't see how that is any different than any other big city in the country.
It's not. That's part of the point being made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago