Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 01:27 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times

Advertisements

Hundreds of service workers strike in Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 01:32 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I don't agree with increasing it to $15 (although I am sure those businesses could) but certainly a bump could be made. Life is expensive nowadays!

Old 04-26-2013, 01:33 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
The jump is quite a bit, and I do see where they're coming from, but realistically.....if this increase happens, don't be surprised if some companies actually fire some workers. There are a lot of companies out there, when faced with having to pay more money in a situation like this, that will let a few people go even if they're profitable.

I think it would also cause a psychological ripple of sorts into others. Some other people might say "Wait a minute, I do ____, ____, and ____ and barely get paid more than a cashier at McDonald's!?"

Old 04-26-2013, 01:36 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
the inspiration:

McJobs Should Pay, Too: Inside Fast-Food Workers' Historic Protest For Living Wages - Sarah Jaffe - The Atlantic

Old 04-26-2013, 01:38 PM

I worked at a Panera/St. Louis Bread in high school...and I was a short order cook for an outdoor pool at a country club in college one summer and it was busy all the time in both jobs and it wasn't easy, but it's far from the "most difficult" job I've had. The hardest thing about either of them was the fact I had to be in a cabana behind a grill for 8 hours a day even when it was 95 F out for that college summer job. I would have loved to be inside with A/C.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I worked at a Panera/St. Louis Bread in high school...and I was a short order cook for an outdoor pool at a country club in college one summer and it was busy all the time in both jobs and it wasn't easy, but it's far from the "most difficult" job I've had. The hardest thing about either of them was the fact I had to be in a cabana behind a grill for 8 hours a day even when it was 95 F out. I would have loved to be inside with A/C.
The thing is the MOST people can do those jobs, meaning most people have the basic skills to carry out those jobs. However, most people do not have the skills to carry out more professional skills.

I work for a large agency, and I am pretty sure most people here could easily take orders as a cashier or assemble a cheesburger. But not everyone can do what we do here, without extensive training or a certin type of critical skill.

Fast food chains jobs don't require an enormous amount of specific skills nor are they skills that are highly valued.

I say bring it up to $10.50 an hour.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
The thing is the MOST people can do those jobs, meaning most people have the basic skills to carry out those jobs. However, most people do not have the skills to carry out more professional skills.

I work for a large agency, and I am pretty sure most people here could easily take orders as a cashier or assemble a cheesburger. But not everyone can do what we do here, without extensive training or a certin type of critical skill.

Fast food chains jobs don't require an enormous amount of specific skills nor are they skills that are highly valued.

I say bring it up to $10.50 an hour.
Yes. EXACTLY. 100% agree. I hate to use this word, but I was pretty disposable when I had my high school/first summer after college jobs. But now? Most people cannot do software development at the level that I do now period and the people who can take years of training to get to a decent level...and that is why I have a good salary (as well as the fact that I bring in revenue but that's another story).

Old 04-26-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Yes. EXACTLY. 100% agree. I hate to use this word, but I was pretty disposable when I had my high school/first summer after college jobs. But now? Most people cannot do software development at the level that I do now period and the people who can take years of training to get to a decent level...and that is why I have a good salary (as well as the fact that I bring in revenue but that's another story).
I worked at Potbelly's for a couple of years in college so I know what you mean. It's exhausting, but it's a different type of exhaustion, more physical. At work it tends to be more mental.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
I worked at Potbelly's for a couple of years in college so I know what you mean. It's exhausting, but it's a different type of exhaustion, more physical. At work it tends to be more mental.
Oddly enough, my first month at my first office job was more exhausting to me - because it was so mentally draining. I would come home for the first month at 5:30pm and fall right to sleep for 2-3 hours. I never had that with the fast food jobs back in the day. I have many friends who have told me the same thing

Old 04-26-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Oddly enough, my first month at my first office job was more exhausting to me - because it was so mentally draining. I would come home for the first month at 5:30pm and fall right to sleep for 2-3 hours. I never had that with the fast food jobs back in the day. I have many friends who have told me the same thing
You do have a point. I take more naps now then ever with my job. There are some weeks we I am drained and have nothing left. Sounds a lil dirty that last sentence, but you know what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: