Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 07:59 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Ha, that crossed my mind, too. I'd want to make sure my car was a cheap beater if I was going to leave it at the Joliet Metra station (or any station, really) overnight every night, though.
Exactly. Definitely do that because not only for the sake of thinking of what happens if it gets stolen, but also just the fact you probably won't be using it too much. It might suck in the winter though.... I don't know if this is possible in Joliet, but I think some villages it is possible with a permit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 08:00 PM

Yeah, I don't have a car in Chicago...and I never have. I almost never need one because it's so walkable in many areas and the public transit has great coverage mostly (not perfect of course). The people I know who do have cars...most of them ended up selling them because they barely used them. Honestly. If you live in the more urban parts (which is many)..you don't need one. The only reason I would ever own a car here is if I all of a sudden got a job in the burbs where I needed a car to get to work (i.e. not accessible by metra easily) and I didn't want to move from my current place.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:00 PM

9 posts, read 12,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
What kind of emergency would that be? Plenty of people live in the South Loop and other downtown Chicago areas without a car at all. At least you'd have one you could get to by train, or drive home after work if you wanted it for the weekend or something. You'd also have the bonus of not having to pay to park it in South Loop. (I have no idea if there is free legal overnight parking at the Joliet station, though.)
I'm not one of those "OMG without my car I cannot live, not even for a 2 block drive" people. But taking the train to the suburbs 95% of the time isn't practical because the office is not walkable from the station.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan. View Post
I'm not one of those "OMG without my car I cannot live, not even for a 2 block drive" people. But taking the train to the suburbs 95% of the time isn't practical because the office is not walkable from the station.
I think you missed what I said. I was saying to leave a car at the Metra station in Joliet.

For example)

1) Take train to Joliet
2) Drive from Joliet to work place
3) End of work...drive from work place to metra station in joliet and leave car at the station.
4) Take train back to Chicago

But it's a suggestion that's 50% "out there" but maybe possible..maybe. Kind of a weird one. I think in some villages some people do it, but who knows. There could also be a nearby parking area where you could pay a small fee per month to use it too..just throwing out ideas if you really, really want this job.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:12 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,205,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The only reason I would ever own a car here is if I all of a sudden got a job in the burbs where I needed a car to get to work
That's precisely the only reason I own one. I would gladly get rid of it otherwise.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:54 AM

9 posts, read 12,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I think you missed what I said. I was saying to leave a car at the Metra station in Joliet.

For example)

1) Take train to Joliet
2) Drive from Joliet to work place
3) End of work...drive from work place to metra station in joliet and leave car at the station.
4) Take train back to Chicago

But it's a suggestion that's 50% "out there" but maybe possible..maybe. Kind of a weird one. I think in some villages some people do it, but who knows. There could also be a nearby parking area where you could pay a small fee per month to use it too..just throwing out ideas if you really, really want this job.
I understood you. And it's something to consider.

I was just speaking that generally, taking the Metra from the city to work in the suburbs isn't as feasible as, say, taking Metra from the suburbs to work in the city.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:26 AM

[quote=Evan.;29338667
I was just speaking that generally, taking the Metra from the city to work in the suburbs isn't as feasible as, say, taking Metra from the suburbs to work in the city.[/quote]

Yes, I agree with you.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:07 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The service on either the Rock Island or Heritage Corridor line out of Joliet is not really worth the hassle -- the timetable has just three inbound trains on the Heritage Corridor leaving Joliet at 5:45. 6:25 & 7:05 with arrivals at Union Station 65 minutes later and corresonding inbound trains at 4:50, 5:25, and 6:12 PM -- nothing would work for reverse commuters...

Rock Island has schedule that might accomodate the rare reverse commuter but with only two options that might work -- leave LaSalle at either 6:20 or 7AM to arrive Joliet at 7:23 or 8:10AM

Old 04-29-2013, 02:39 PM

102 posts, read 132,680 times
Quote:
Hmmm. That's a good point. I only picked south loop because it's close to I-55. 40 minutes isn't ridiculous, but any amount of traffic could really balloon that number.

I might need to rethink this job. It's a good start to get a foot hold in the area, but maybe living in the city is just too impractical for this job location. I really don't know what to think. Maybe I'll get lucky and not get an offer, that way there is no decision to make. :/
Quote:
What's it like when it snows?
It was pretty bad when it snowed, I remember not getting home until after 7pm. I recommend taking I-57 versus I-55, it's a little faster, no tolls(I-355) and much much much less traffic. You have to remember that area isn't a large employment center like the west burbs are so there is virtually no traffic each way. You might only hit a bit of traffic on I-80. In the morning the traffic is north bound on I-57 and afternoon it's south bound, which is the opposite direction of your commute.Traffic will not be an issue for you, I'm saying 40 minutes during rush hour.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:38 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,205,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
It was pretty bad when it snowed, I remember not getting home until after 7pm. I recommend taking I-57 versus I-55, it's a little faster, no tolls(I-355) and much much much less traffic. You have to remember that area isn't a large employment center like the west burbs are so there is virtually no traffic each way. You might only hit a bit of traffic on I-80. In the morning the traffic is north bound on I-57 and afternoon it's south bound, which is the opposite direction of your commute.Traffic will not be an issue for you, I'm saying 40 minutes during rush hour.
I agree that 57/80 is a better way to go, but it's still 54 miles from South Loop to Millsdale. That means to do it in 40 minutes he'd have to average 81 mph, including the portion on the streets of the South Loop itself, through the Stevenson / Dan Ryan interchange, and after he gets off the highway at Millsdale. That's not happening.

With no traffic he's looking at an hour at least, and during rush hour maybe an hour and 15 if there are no accidents or bad weather. It's doable, but will suck.

Last edited by ChiNaan; 04-29-2013 at 03:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago