U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 05:55 PM

811 posts, read 1,644,683 times

Advertisements

Chicago has come to be associated primarily with crime. Of course part of this is political, with Obama and the strict gun laws, however even aside from that, it is really exaggerated. It's the 3rd largest city in the country, but it not in the top ten for most violent. Even when it comes to murder (worse cities include: Miami, Detroit, New Orleans, Philly, Atlanta, DC, etc). Not to mention the crime that DOES exist, is concentrated in areas that are easily avoidable by transplants and visitors. I am not saying that crime does not exist in Chicago, it does and the level is very sad...however the crime rates make this automatic Chicago=violence reputation undeserved.

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1. Detroit - The 10 Most Dangerous U.S. Cities - Forbes (as much as I hate Forbes' lists)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 06:09 PM

3,719 posts, read 6,901,752 times
I know right, its so exaggerated their...i know a lot worst cities.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:19 PM

7,306 posts, read 5,540,179 times
Rod Blagojevich — Governor from 2003 through 2009, when he became the first Illinois governor in history to be impeached. Convicted of numerous corruption charges Monday, including allegations that he tried to sell or trade President Barack Obama's old Senate seat.

George Ryan — Governor from 1999 through 2003. After leaving office, was convicted of racketeering for actions as governor and secretary of state. In November 2007, began serving 6 1/2 years in federal prison.

U.S. Rep. Dan Rostenkowski — Pleaded guilty to corruption charges and left office in 1995. Served 17 months in prison, but was pardoned by President Bill Clinton. Rostenkowski was a representative from 1959-95.

U.S. Rep. Mel Reynolds — Convicted of misconduct with a 16-year-old campaign volunteer and resigned in 1995. Served more than two years in prison. Later convicted on federal wire and bank fraud charges and sentenced to more than six years in prison. President Clinton commuted that sentence.

Dan Walker — Governor from 1973-1977. Pleaded guilty to bank fraud and other charges in 1987 related to his business activities after leaving office. Spent just over a year and a half in federal prison.

Otto Kerner — Governor from 1961-1968. Resigned to become judge, then was convicted of bribery related to his tenure as governor. Sentenced to three years in prison.

William G. Stratton — Governor from 1953-1961. Indicted after leaving office on income-tax evasion charges but was acquitted.

Lennington Small — Governor from 1921-1929. Indicted while in office on embezzlement charges but was acquitted.

Joel Matteson — Governor from 1853-1857. After leaving office, a Sangamon County court ruled that he owed the state more than $253,000 in connection with a scheme to pay government contractors. His property was sold at auction.

Secretary of State Paul Powell — Roughly $800,000 was found stuffed in shoe boxes Powell's home after he died in 1970.

Auditor Orville Hodge — Pleaded guilty in the 1950s to embezzling more than $1.5 million from the state while in office. He used the money to buy two planes, four automobiles and homes in Illinois and Florida.

Attorney General William Scott — Convicted of tax fraud and spent a year in prison in the 1980s. Was Illinois attorney general from 1969-80.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:23 PM

4,076 posts, read 9,927,043 times
^^^-Chicago, not the state of Illinois sir, and by crime I'm sure he wasn't really taking about city corruption

Old 04-28-2013, 06:31 PM

577 posts, read 637,623 times
Also, not sure that people are going to be too worried about someone who was governor in the 1800s

Old 04-28-2013, 06:37 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,010,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post

Joel Matteson — Governor from 1853-1857. After leaving office, a Sangamon County court ruled that he owed the state more than $253,000 in connection with a scheme to pay government contractors. His property was sold at auction.
I personally lose sleep every night over how this injustice has tainted my Chicago living experience, and wishing I lived in the South with its impeccable history of honest politics and social justice.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:43 PM

6,690 posts, read 8,069,030 times
Every city I've lived in has been classified as violent so I don't pay any attention to what the news say or what people think.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:32 PM

811 posts, read 1,644,683 times
Darn, I had posted this in one of the general forums to get replies from people who are not in Chicago, since the point is that other cities are worse. I guess the mods moved it.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:29 PM

122 posts, read 242,469 times
Here we go again comparing cities with smaller populations to Chicago with millions of more people.
Crime was at its peak in Chicago in the 80s and 90s like most big cities. The media is playing the Chicago card now and on average we have 400 plus less homicides

Old 04-28-2013, 08:34 PM

413 posts, read 756,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
Chicago has come to be associated primarily with crime. Of course part of this is political, with Obama and the strict gun laws, however even aside from that, it is really exaggerated. It's the 3rd largest city in the country, but it not in the top ten for most violent. Even when it comes to murder (worse cities include: Miami, Detroit, New Orleans, Philly, Atlanta, DC, etc). Not to mention the crime that DOES exist, is concentrated in areas that are easily avoidable by transplants and visitors. I am not saying that crime does not exist in Chicago, it does and the level is very sad...however the crime rates make this automatic Chicago=violence reputation undeserved.

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1. Detroit - The 10 Most Dangerous U.S. Cities - Forbes (as much as I hate Forbes' lists)

The violent crime rate for Chicago, reads N/A in that table in Wikipedia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago