U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 04:29 PM

61 posts, read 89,158 times

Advertisements

Hello Chicago! I have family living in 300 block of north Parkside Ave, which I believe is in south Austin? Can any kind city dweller please confirm for me what the crime is like there? I was informed my grandson witnessed a "shootout" in the neighborhood (yesterday I believe). Please, tell me everything, good and bad. Thank you and stay safe all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 05:26 PM

28,441 posts, read 71,005,190 times
Good? It was probably dirt cheap -- here is a place listed for sale nearby: 311 N Parkside Ave, CHICAGO, IL 60644 | MLS# 08183403 | Redfin It is also pretty close to Green Line stop at central, so I suppose if they need to get to the Loop it would under 30 minutes. It is also quick El ride to Oak Park and its glories, heck it is less than half a mile, they could walk.

Bad? Crime map: City of Chicago Data Portal Crime Map Not good, though it looks like things are even worse a litte further to the north...

Schools are some of the worst I have ever seen -- shocking. DOUGLASS ACADEMY HIGH SCHOOL: School Profile

Old 05-08-2013, 06:02 PM

Thank you for your post! The crime map was a little confusing to me. I didn't see North Parkside on it, but I am not familiar at all with Chicago streets. The transportation was attractive to them, so the older children can get to jobs, etc. The younger kids go to private school. They lived on S. Vernon prior to this, and prior to that in Humboldt Park area. So, Oak Park is a good place? My son-in-law is an Urban Ministry Prof and they have always worked with inner city youth, but I have never been comfortable with them living in Chicago. Sorry, don't mean to offend in any way, but it just seems like folks are sometimes held hostage in their own homes, and I worry about them being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Well, I am small town, and walk without fear about town wherever I want. Thank you again. I'm glad to have found this forum, I'm learning lots.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:42 PM

10,238 posts, read 18,742,495 times
That neighborhood is a horrible slum. It was nice long ago though, my old stamping grounds. Oak Park is OK though but the town has always been noted for a stuffy, holier than though attitude which is evidently still going strong.

My cousin Francie not long off the boat from Armagh got the bejesus beaten out of him in a tavern at Parkside and Madison. Back around......1962. He was quite the lady's man, looked like Errol Flynn. Acted like him too. Which led to the beating.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:28 PM

Well, thanks posters for not sheltering me from the truth Can't think where they've lived that I didn't have misgivings, but when I heard Austin, well that gave me pause. I really know so little about the different neighborhoods though. I really appreciate the info, and I'm reading other posts in this forum too. It makes me realize that people do manage to thrive there, and are in love with the city.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:37 PM

14,798 posts, read 19,003,355 times
Austin IS one of the worst, if not THE worst neighborhood in Chicago. However it's also the biggest neighborhood by population. Some areas might not be as bad...in some bad neighborhoods it tends to be block to block sometimes. BUT on average Austin is pretty bad now.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:17 PM

6,021 posts, read 13,539,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Good? It was probably dirt cheap -- here is a place listed for sale nearby: 311 N Parkside Ave, CHICAGO, IL 60644 | MLS# 08183403 | Redfin It is also pretty close to Green Line stop at central, so I suppose if they need to get to the Loop it would under 30 minutes. It is also quick El ride to Oak Park and its glories, heck it is less than half a mile, they could walk.
*Sigh*, that house has so much going for it, other than its location...

On the the other hand, you could give me that house for free and renovate it and I still wouldn't take it. A close friend of mine lives near Central and Division and I DESPISED waiting for the bus over by Central and Lake. It was a rare trip when I didn't see a cop car parked outside that corner store or something dramatic didn't crop up. I decided it would be more pleasant, albeit a longer trip, to just take the bus-got sick of seeing some of these idiots act like fools.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:22 PM

Anyone else want to comment on my original post? Anyone actually living in the 300 block of North Parkside ave? I go to school with a couple "kids" from Chicago who sure didn't think much about that neighborhood. I keep hearing about the "block to block" thing, but how in the world do people get safely from their block without going into these other blocks to get anywhere? I am trying to understand, I swear. I know I sound scared to death, and I do tend toward being overly cautious, but I've actually driven to Chicago a couple times by myself to visit them in the other neighborhoods I mentioned that they used to live in. I really have been enjoying this forum and appreciate how you "regulars" help out. Thanks to everyone.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:20 PM

837 posts, read 781,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firststop View Post
I keep hearing about the "block to block" thing, but how in the world do people get safely from their block without going into these other blocks to get anywhere?
Um. They don't. What you get in low real estate costs you pay for in safety. There are some neighborhoods in the city where you can walk from block to block knowing you won't get targeted by a gang banger if you're not wearing the wrong color scheme that day. Then there are neighborhoods like this one where people shoot their guns for sometimes no reason at all. If you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, that's too bad for you.

If you're concerned about their safety, you should recommend they move to a better neighborhood with still affordable options. They may not get an entire house for $60,000, but it might be saving them a break in or assault. There's not much you can do to keep them safe where they are except to tell them to lock their doors and stay inside. Which is a sad way to live in a city that has so much to offer.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:27 PM

6,353 posts, read 5,154,974 times
There are beautiful houses in every ghetto neighborhood, and there's always an urban pioneer who buys one...and then can't live in it and can't sell it. Austin is about as bad it gets in Chicago, and the fact that the 300 block of N. Parkside looks pretty in Google Street View only means that it used to be nice. Give it another 50 years...maybe.

I don't think you'll find any City-Data folks on that block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or