Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2013, 12:21 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
I agree with much of it, but...

Slide 11 says no alternate side of the street parking and that is untrue in the winter here. You do have to move your car because they want to clear the snow. This only applies if there are more than 2 inches of snow, I think. Essentially, street cleaning means some sides of the street are not available for parking as well. Admittedly, mostly I see this in the burbs. I don't know if the city has a similar restriction.

TPT CHICAGO: Parking FAQs

Quote:
What do “Alternate side street cleaning rules” mean?

These rules refer to the time of day and days of the week when the streets are cleaned. During these days/times, one side of the street will not be eligible for parking. Often—though not always—parking will be allowed during all other days/times.
City of Chicago :: Street Sweeping, Street Sweeping Schedule or Mechanical Street Sweeper

Quote:
Chicago uses mechanical street sweepers that operate year-round except during inclement winter weather.

To ensure curb-to-curb street cleaning, temporary parking restrictions are posted the day before the work is scheduled to begin on any street. Some arterial streets have permanently posted signs that specify a once-per-week period when parking is prohibited for street sweeping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 02:10 PM

541 posts, read 912,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Sure, but you are smart with that. A lot of people, when they see anything, will just make assumptions. I even ran into some people from Connecticut last month who basically told me they thought snow was a normal thing to see in Minnesota even in June. Even though there's almost never been any snow in June in Minnesota, people see what they want to see and make wild assumptions.

I think for people adverse to cold weather, they stay away from the midwest and much of the northeast.
When I actually looked into it, the Northeast and Midwest are really no different winter wise save for ~3-8 degrees on average and precipitation variances.

Slightly colder in Chicago than NYC, yet less snow than NYC. They both get ****ty wind chills, regardless. Not as if people are still in shorts in Manhattan when the wind chill makes it feel like 15 degrees and out in Chicago theyre bundled up like eskimos when its 15.

When it comes down to it, winter is winter and both of theirs suck.

Theyre both cold, gloomy and snowy. Theyre also both mild and sunny at times as well. The mix of urban and winter is drab too.

I entirely believe that bit about Minnesota and snow in June. People are just ****ing morons. Theres really no other explanation.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
Chicago seems affordable, esp when buying while still being a real major city that offers a lot so what's the catch? Is it the Midwest location and colder weather? I don't use NYC for all it has so it's not really worth it for me to stay in the area. The Chi seems like a nice alternative.

I tell people Chicago is affordable, and they look at me like I got six heads.

Then I tell them im from NY.

Its all relative to where youre from.

Even compared to Upstate NY, Chicago is at most, the same COL, and at least, cheaper.

If youre coming from Dallas, Chicago may seem expensive.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
Socially conservative, traditional, most people identify as Christian, people are obsessed with college sports and drinking beer, people adhere to fairly traditional gender roles and expectations, racism, etc. Before anyone pounces on me, I'm not saying these things are as strong in Chicago as they are in rural areas of the Midwest or South, or even compared to the national average, but compared to cities on the coasts it's very Midwestern here. Ask anyone who has moved here from a place like NYC, Boston, Seattle, SF, LA, etc., and they'll tell you they had to adjust to the culture.

You just described the Northeast.

This is the biggest ****ing fallacy. I just simply do not get it.

I know tons of conservative, traditional (provincial) ******** Italians (not even limited to them) where im from in NY that are semi-religious or devout, obsessed with the Yankees (among other teams) and drinking.

I wouldnt say theyre racist, but they do make subtle racist jokes.

Lets just say, if im black, I dont wanna live in Boston or anywhere really in the Northeast. Its not as if its the exact opposite of Chicago here.

The opposite in my mind would be a place like Seattle or Portland.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:25 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Cool timelapse video of a few parts of Chicago:

Second City on Vimeo

Old 05-17-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
Okay, whatever. My point was that Chicago is Midwestern and has Midwestern culture. Boston is not and does not. I thought this was pretty simple, really. Anyone who has visited both (let alone lived in them) would understand this and not really need it to be explained.

The only difference between "Midwestern" culture and "Northeastern" culture (as someone from the Northeast) is friendliness.

Theyre both still predominantly white, provincial, traditional, and religious.

Rural areas are conservative. Urban areas are liberal.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:26 PM

Maybe its just because the flagship famous "live and let live" liberal neighborhoods of America are in coastal cities like NYC, LA, SF, etc.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:29 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post

Rural areas are conservative. Urban areas are liberal.
Yep, just look at how conservative Vermont is and how liberal Omaha is.

Oh, wait...

Old 05-17-2013, 03:31 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Cool timelapse video of a few parts of Chicago:

Second City on Vimeo
I always love watching time lapses of cities. I was watching one last week on Paris, absolutely breathtaking.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:28 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,634,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I agree with much of it, but...

Slide 11 says no alternate side of the street parking and that is untrue in the winter here. You do have to move your car because they want to clear the snow. This only applies if there are more than 2 inches of snow, I think. Essentially, street cleaning means some sides of the street are not available for parking as well. Admittedly, mostly I see this in the burbs. I don't know if the city has a similar restriction.

TPT CHICAGO: Parking FAQs

City of Chicago :: Street Sweeping, Street Sweeping Schedule or Mechanical Street Sweeper
so theres only street cleaning in the winter when theres snow? they dont do it ery week all yr like here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago