Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 02:38 PM

936 posts, read 3,190,782 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Sorry for my million questions and thanks in advance for any help you can provide. It will be my first trip to Chicago. Is there a train with a frequent timetable that goes from Ohare airport to downtown? Any advice on better alternatives? Also, I have to be back at Ohare on a Saturday morning for a 6:40 am flight. Based on your experience of OHare, if I'm staying in downtown, how early should I leave downtown to safely make my flight? Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 02:44 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,949,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
Is there a train with a frequent timetable that goes from Ohare airport to downtown?
Yes

Old 05-10-2013, 02:52 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
Hi all,

Sorry for my million questions and thanks in advance for any help you can provide. It will be my first trip to Chicago. Is there a train with a frequent timetable that goes from Ohare airport to downtown? Any advice on better alternatives? Also, I have to be back at Ohare on a Saturday morning for a 6:40 am flight. Based on your experience of OHare, if I'm staying in downtown, how early should I leave downtown to safely make my flight? Thanks all!
1) Yes, there is a train that goes from O'Hare to the Loop. The Blue Line. Follow the signs down to Baggage Claim and then you'll see some signs that say "Trains to the City"..follow those signs to the train terminal. Get on the train that everyone else is on or someone tells you to get on. There's no way to mess up going in the wrong direction - it only goes in one direction.

Then just ride that all the way down to the Loop..you'll have to know what stop to get off at of course.

2) I would suggest taking a cab if your flight is at 6:40am. If you can check in online beforehand then yeah. A cab ride from the Loop to O'Hare will probably take around 20-25 minutes maybe. I have had flights at that time before (even before) where it's actually still half busy at 5:30am. It will probably cost you like $40 total. If you don't want to do that, then the train ride from the Loop is like 45-55 minutes (plus you might have to wait when you get to the station). I guess since it's a Saturday and the bars here close at 4am and 5am...you might be riding with some late night partiers maybe.

I guess it depends on where you're staying but 6:40am flight...I would get there around 5:30am or 5:40am. That means you should be on the train itself at like 4:35am-4:45am maybe?

3) Please, please, please make sure you get OUT of the Loop when you're there. Why? The Loop is the Central Business District. There is some tourist stuff there but it is in way the most vibrant, exciting part of the city. If you want to see the vibrant areas of the city, get out of the area. Visit areas like River North, Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park, etc if you have time...in the least get to River North/Streeterville/Magnificent Mile/Gold Coast. They are right across the river and bridges

Old 05-12-2013, 06:28 AM

126 posts, read 207,927 times
Default If you take the blue line back to O'Hare

Make sure you get on the right train.

The blue line is a U shaped route, with one leg at O'Hare, the other leg in a western suburb (Forest Park?) and the middle of the U in the loop. Trains run both ways through the stations. If you get on the wrong train you'll end up going to the wrong place.

Just to make it more confusing, both legs of the route have stops on Western Ave. But one is a few miles north of the other.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:21 AM

928 posts, read 1,713,236 times
Have you never heard of Google? It's an amazing website that has a cool mapping feature that not only gives you maps of more or less any address you enter, it provides accurate directions, including routes using public transportation, AND it comes with times! Very, very easy to use. I suggest you check it out.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:25 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,692,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Have you never heard of Google? It's an amazing website that has a cool mapping feature that not only gives you maps of more or less any address you enter, it provides accurate directions, including routes using public transportation, AND it comes with times! Very, very easy to use. I suggest you check it out.
actually Google Transit would probably be better. it helped me out..

Transit ? Google Maps

i used OHare and Downtown Chicago for source and destination

Last edited by Slipperman; 05-12-2013 at 07:33 PM..

Old 05-12-2013, 08:56 PM

23 posts, read 53,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
actually Google Transit would probably be better. it helped me out..

Transit ? Google Maps

i used OHare and Downtown Chicago for source and destination
Interesting, never seen this before. Although regular google maps has much more functionality and is more user friendly imo. Is this an intern project or something, I don't see the point. Regular google maps is already excellent for public transit directions.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:05 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckc View Post
Interesting, never seen this before. Although regular google maps has much more functionality and is more user friendly imo. Is this an intern project or something, I don't see the point. Regular google maps is already excellent for public transit directions.
This is the same thing as the Directions on Google Maps. Look up anything..It reroutes you to Google maps and all it does is chose the public transit option for you. It's no different than using Maps and choosing the transit option yourself.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:27 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Blue Line

Old 05-13-2013, 03:58 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,536 times
The Blue Line subway is the fastest and cheapest way from the airport. If you have to be on a plane at 6:40 AM you might consider a taxi because you need to be at the airport by about 5AM which means that you would have to catch the Blue Line at about 4AM. It is safe but the trains are less frequent (15 mins as opposed to 5 minutes wait) and the Kennedy usually does not jam up until after 6AM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago