Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 10:09 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,903,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
Who does Chicago have to compete with?
Minneapolis right now is the only thing and really, it's not even close even though Minneapolis has some good stuff going on.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:30 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
Who does Chicago have to compete with?

Kansas City?
St.Louis?
Detroit?
Des Moines?

Let's get real here.
Actually, as far as intellectual draw, Chicago's only large competition is Minneapolis. But then these are two very differently sized cities. Minneapolis has a lot of things going for it, but if it were the size of Chicago, I imagine the situation would be very different.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:04 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,247,739 times
At one time or other I lived in Mpls and in Chi; the two are very different. I've been in many of the so called 'big' cities in America, including LA, and I still prefer Chicago. In my opinion it is easier and more convenient to shop and do things in Chicago than it is in other large cities. One of the things I really appreciate is Chicagoans, by and large know their 'hoods, and can tell strangers "how to get there" by street, train, or bus.

Chicago is the only place place I ever lived where neighborhood is a foreign language.
"Is X still in Garfield Park?"
"No. It's Back of the Yards." .

Old 05-27-2013, 07:23 AM

12 posts, read 20,151 times
Quote:
Chicago is the next Detroit
You haven't been to Detroit, have you?

Old 05-27-2013, 03:16 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,912,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Here's the office locations of some investment banks: [actual list snipped]
That's an impressive list but you have to go pretty far down on it (William Blair I think) to find a headquarters.

Have you ever worked in an investment bank outside the headquarters? The branch offices are mostly sales offices. The decisions get made, and the big paychecks get paid, at the headquarters.

I love Chicago but I don't want to say it's something that it's not.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:56 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,903,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
That's an impressive list but you have to go pretty far down on it (William Blair I think) to find a headquarters.

Have you ever worked in an investment bank outside the headquarters? The branch offices are mostly sales offices. The decisions get made, and the big paychecks get paid, at the headquarters.

I love Chicago but I don't want to say it's something that it's not.
The ones here are really not sales offices, trust me. I have friends working in these places (and other financial industries) and they're far from glorified sales people. Also Nuveen Investments is HQ'd here..my friend is friends with the CEO who lives in the burbs. There are other places HQ'd here too that I am not listing. This was just for one category. You could list other companies such as Morningstar as well. I have friends at Deustsche Bank too and again, none are sales. They're all financial analysts and stuff like that.

Financial Companies/Banks HQ'd in Chicago area:
* Discover Financial (Riverwoods)
* Northern Trust
* Morningstar
* Nuveen Investments
* William Blair
* Citadel LLC
* GTCR
* Madison Dearborn Partners
* HSBC Finance (Mettawa)
* CNA Financial
* AllState Insurance (Northbrook)
* BMO Harris Bank
* TransUnion
* BrainTree
* Experian (US HQ I believe...in Schaumburg)
* Ariel Investments
* William Stein
* Lake Capital
* Guaranteed Rate
* Guggenheim Partners
* Incapital
..etc

http://www.investopedia.com/financia...t-bankers.aspx
Quote:
Chicago is sometimes considered America's third financial center. In the finance world, Chicago is best known for the Chicago Board of Trade and the Chicago Mercantile Exchange. These exchanges specialize primarily in commodities and derivative contract trading. However, Chicago is also the third-largest city in America, and many investment banking employers have offices there. A quick survey of some of the major investment banks indicated that Goldman Sachs (NYSE:GS), Morgan Stanley (NYSE:MS), Lazard (NYSE:LAZ), Deutsche Bank AG (NYSE:DB) and Greenhill and Co. (NYSE:GHL) all have offices in Chicago.

Chicago is less expensive than other major financial centers and was ranked the 50th-most expensive city in the world. The taxes are a bargain compared to New York or California as well. Illinois imposes a state income tax rate which is set at a flat 3% of net income.

Last edited by marothisu; 05-27-2013 at 05:06 PM..

Old 05-27-2013, 09:04 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times
I can't believe "broadrippleguy" hasn't chimed in yet. His Mom must have disconnected his internet connection. You regulars know who he is. LOL

Old 05-28-2013, 10:54 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,672,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I can't believe "broadrippleguy" hasn't chimed in yet. His Mom must have disconnected his internet connection. You regulars know who he is. LOL
Unfortunately, he has been banned.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:32 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,742,002 times
High wages here attract some of the best blue collar people; building tradesmen, machinists, tool makers, mechanics. Talent chases money in the blue collar world too.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:07 PM

5,975 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
High wages here attract some of the best blue collar people; building tradesmen, machinists, tool makers, mechanics. Talent chases money in the blue collar world too.
True,

Interestingly enough, its these highly skilled manufacturing jobs which require a lot of training, despite the decline in manufacturing jobs in the long term, are the jobs that companies are having a hard time finding qualified people for. And they pay well too.

But that wasn't what my generation was encouraged to go into, as not following a four year university path was/is considered an embarassment - so now theres a shortage, because people have been looking down upon trade schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago