Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 02:54 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Someone should make a poll to test if the city or suburbs have more and better quality entertainment options.
I think 90% of suburbanites would even admit that Chicago is stronger for this. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that they were moving to the burbs because of the superior entertainment options, unless they were talking about pimped out "home theater" they wanted to build in their basement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 03:02 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,065,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Me too. And then I look up their tour schedules to see where they're playing in the area, and it's nearly always in the city. The same may or may not be true for the music you like. I was just sharing my experience.

If you look back, you'll see that the post I was responding to (and agreeing with) was one saying that "convenience" is subjective and largely dependent upon lifestyle. I don't mind at all that some people find the suburbs to be more convenient for the things they're into. I'm just not one of those people.
Honesty though, I go out to the movies a lot more often than concerts. And there is a state of the art AMC movie theater with IMAX just ten minutes away from me.. It is like a half hour bicycle ride at most.

On opening night of Man Of Steel, IMAX tickets were quickly sold out at Navy pier but they were readily available at the AMC by me.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
On opening night of Man Of Steel, IMAX tickets were quickly sold out at Navy pier but they were readily available at the AMC by me.
Now THAT is something that I've actually heard of city dwellers driving out to the burbs for... High end movie theater experiences. Though you can get them in Chicago, the tickets can be hard to get for popular block busters.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:41 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Even if I were to have kids I would not want my social life to center on them.
You don't really get much of a choice in this matter unless you have a very loving spouse or you have a lot of money to blow on sitters.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
You don't really get much of a choice in this matter unless you have a very loving spouse or you have a lot of money to blow on sitters.
I hear ya. And the problem is also that friends with kids don't tend to go out as much either, so even if you are free your friends may not be.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:17 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
I was afraid that would be true, but I've found it doesn't have to be. My daughter is in bed and asleep by 8:30-9:00 every night, which is plenty of time to meet some friends for a beer or something. My wife and I both go out individually once or twice each week and get a babysitter once a week so we can go out together. One benefit of keeping in touch with our friends is that it gives us a lot of free babysitters when we need them (we're lucky to have some great friends). We've also become friends with the parents of some of our daughter's classmates, so our social life is stronger than ever.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:26 PM

896 posts, read 1,399,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I think 90% of suburbanites would even admit that Chicago is stronger for this. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that they were moving to the burbs because of the superior entertainment options, unless they were talking about pimped out "home theater" they wanted to build in their basement.
Chicago definitely has more entertainment options and variety if you are into select things like restaurants, bars and live music. There is no question about that. I like that the city has these options especially compared to other major cities. The first thing I noticed when I visited here is that you can go out until you 60 here, well not really. But my point is it seems like after a certain age you just do not go out in other cities. I remembered visiting Chicago and coming back to Detroit feeling like the scene was inmature. But , the fact Chicago has so much of the same thing can be overwhelming.

I think I have been to about three restaurants in my five years in Chicago. It can be a little much and on the nightlife option, I am glad there is variety as I get bored easily.

However, I would like to go to place where I feel like a regular not necessarily a typical bar and not feel like stranger walking in the first time.

I miss that genunie open friendliness. It seems like Chicago people have to warm up to you and I can of find that odd in a so called social city.

If Oak Park maybe had one or two more places that had a DJ, nice lounge, and dancing. I would be in heaven. There is quite a few young singles out there and couple without kids that I think this would work. Also, , I am the type once I find a couple a nice places I pretty much stick to them do not care so much about variety as much.

I think this happens in Chicago to believe it or not.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:48 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Now THAT is something that I've actually heard of city dwellers driving out to the burbs for... High end movie theater experiences. Though you can get them in Chicago, the tickets can be hard to get for popular block busters.
I'll definitely be doing the same as a city resident. There are some nice theaters in the burbs, one in particular that I really want to visit -- Hollywood Blvd Cinema in Woodridge. I made a thread earlier about another one opening up in Arlington Heights which I think will be another nice theater.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:55 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Sorry for your deficient childhood but in my suburban neighborhood I spend quite a bit of time socializing with friends that live nearby. Further I have volunteered for things related to the park district, library, school board, village government and other civic activities that are the domain of corrupt politicians in Chicago.

The alleged "spontaneity" of city life is more a function of folks that due to age / lack of career / no family are likely to do "down for anything" and "responsible for nothing" -- hardly something to be proud of!
Get over yourself. People who choose to not have kids and live in the city are not somehow less than you, which is what you imply when you say they are living a life that they shouldn't be proud of.

You shouldn't be proud of the fact that you can't seem to grasp that people have different preferences than you, and therefore you have no grounds to say that their love for the spontaneity is only "alleged" (implying that it doesn't really exist.) For them, it is quite real.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:38 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
People should get over saying "get over yourself". But it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago