Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 07:21 PM

425 posts, read 431,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
I need some advice.

Here's my situation:

I don't care whether my commute is 20 minutes or 40 minutes to the Loop, as long as I can sit and get some work done with the time.

I currently live in the suburbs and I have a large affordable home, a backyard with bunnies and birds, parks and tot lots aplenty, stellar schools k-12, a walkable downtown with tons of boutiques bars and restaurants, a park district that directs endless community-building events, a well-stacked library, a clean public pool, a friggin' waterpark, a free zoo, a local outdoor French market, nature preserves, festivals, parades, wide streets, fresh air, safety in public and considerably lower prices paid (tax+price) for goods and services versus the city of Chicago. I should also mention that while living in the suburbs I have developed this strange feeling that comes over me every time I pay my property taxes or shop at a local store. I get the feeling my tax dollars are actually improving my local community.

Can anyone sell me on the advantages of a city neighborhood over my suburb? What could convince me to move back to the city? I'm <30 with a wife and young child.

Thanks in advance for your help!
I laughed and then I smiled. Thanks. And congrats on your beautiful life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 01:18 AM

526 posts, read 1,058,189 times
Quote:
I need some advice.

Here's my situation:

I don't care whether my commute is 20 minutes or 40 minutes to the Loop, as long as I can sit and get some work done with the time.

I currently live in the suburbs and I have a large affordable home, a backyard with bunnies and birds, parks and tot lots aplenty, stellar schools k-12, a walkable downtown with tons of boutiques bars and restaurants, a park district that directs endless community-building events, a well-stacked library, a clean public pool, a friggin' waterpark, a free zoo, a local outdoor French market, nature preserves, festivals, parades, wide streets, fresh air, safety in public and considerably lower prices paid (tax+price) for goods and services versus the city of Chicago. I should also mention that while living in the suburbs I have developed this strange feeling that comes over me every time I pay my property taxes or shop at a local store. I get the feeling my tax dollars are actually improving my local community.

Can anyone sell me on the advantages of a city neighborhood over my suburb? What could convince me to move back to the city? I'm <30 with a wife and young child.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Well I hope your suburb is not in Cook County. Your tax dollars would be going to line pockets before it was ever put back into the Chicagoland economy.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:39 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,573,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I do say so. Uptown has many more, faster Lake Shore Drive express bus options than Lincoln Park. I would walk to the end of my block, hop on an express bus, and it would stop once more before hopping on Lake Shore Drive at Irving park Road. It was very very fast, assuming Lake Shore Drive wasn't a parking lot.

My apartment to my office via the 147 takes 20 minutes tops every morning. I really love living in Uptown...Marianos across the street, tons of interesting food, and transit galore but the schools just aren't up to snuff and I can't afford a large enough place in a neighborhood with nice schools.

Like I mentioned earlier, my wife can't drive and I hate to drive so walkability is paramount and frankly finding a desirable/walkable place whether it's the city or the suburbs isn't cheap. You really aren't saving much if any money moving from uptown/edgewater to an inner ring suburb...although you do get the better schools.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:15 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
My apartment to my office via the 147 takes 20 minutes tops every morning. I really love living in Uptown...Marianos across the street, tons of interesting food, and transit galore but the schools just aren't up to snuff and I can't afford a large enough place in a neighborhood with nice schools.

Like I mentioned earlier, my wife can't drive and I hate to drive so walkability is paramount and frankly finding a desirable/walkable place whether it's the city or the suburbs isn't cheap. You really aren't saving much if any money moving from uptown/edgewater to an inner ring suburb...although you do get the better schools.
This is going to be tough, but not impossible. Knowing what I know about you (which is limited to your posting here), I think a good spot for you might be eastern Oak Park, where you can catch a price break compared to the areas west of Ridgeland. You don't feed in to crime hysteria, and seem comfortable around some urban grit. Southern Evanston could be an option too, but it's more expensive and the schools aren't as good as many in eastern Oak Park. The most walkable part of Oak Park is probably near Lake Street and Harlem Ave., though.

There are many other walkable pockets around the suburbs if you can use Metra for commuting, but they often correlate with expensive housing--and I wouldn't want to live in ANY of them without at least having the option for automobile use on an occasional basis. While they are expensive areas, I still find that the single-family houses are less expensive than they would be in the nicer city neighborhoods with "good CPS schools". You might catch a break living in a Jefferson Park bungalow and going with a more affordable Catholic school option, but that's not for everyone.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:40 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,341,904 times
Quote:

What's your budget? There have been several cute little homes in downtown Wheaton that have come to market lately for around $250k. Not cookie cutter, but plenty of historical charm:

407 E Liberty Dr WHEATON, IL 60187 | Redfin << this is Red Grange's boyhood home
447 Delles Rd WHEATON, IL 60187 | Redfin
222 W Illinois St WHEATON, IL 60187 | Redfin

Only problem is that they are snatched up so quickly. You'd really have to have one in the chamber and your finger on the trigger. A new Mariano's just opened up in downtown Wheaton, so you'd be able to continue walking there for groceries. There's also a Metra stop and plenty of restaurants, shopping etc. to keep you busy.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:43 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,163,893 times
Quote:
What's your budget? There have been several cute little homes in downtown Wheaton that have come to market lately for around $250k. Not cuttie cutter, but plenty of historical charm:
I always thought the term was "cookie cutter" home.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
What's your budget? There have been several cute little homes in downtown Wheaton that have come to market lately for around $250k. Not cuttie cutter, but plenty of historical charm:
I would pay money to see a reality show about AleKing adjusting to Wheaton. I just don't see it happening.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:54 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,573,940 times
Quote:
This is going to be tough, but not impossible. Knowing what I know about you (which is limited to your posting here), I think a good spot for you might be eastern Oak Park, where you can catch a price break compared to the areas west of Ridgeland. You don't feed in to crime hysteria, and seem comfortable around some urban grit. Southern Evanston could be an option too, but it's more expensive and the schools aren't as good as many in eastern Oak Park. The most walkable part of Oak Park is probably near Lake Street and Harlem Ave., though.

There are many other walkable pockets around the suburbs if you can use Metra for commuting, but they often correlate with expensive housing--and I wouldn't want to live in ANY of them without at least having the option for automobile use on an occasional basis. While they are expensive areas, I still find that the single-family houses are less expensive than they would be in the nicer city neighborhoods with "good CPS schools". You might catch a break living in a Jefferson Park bungalow and going with a more affordable Catholic school option, but that's not for everyone.

Nice post and you mentioned a lot of the places i'm thinking about a few years down the road. (might actually be the first person in the building to sell for a profit since the market crash ) We lived in Evanston (main east of chicago) and loved it but prices are pretty high there at this point. As far as walkability, we don't need to be tripping over restaurants and bars but a nice grocery store and a cafe are a must for sure.

Quote:
I would pay money to see a reality show about AleKing adjusting to Wheaton. I just don't see it happening.
The homes look nice and affordable enough but a hyper conservative religious hamlet isn't our thing and it's hardly walkable.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:59 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,341,904 times
Quote:
Why, politics? I mean people here don't really wear their beliefs on their sleeves or anything. There is a healthy mix of people anyway, especially downtown. Everybody enjoys a nice indie coffee or tea shop, open-air cafes and the ability to walk to Mariano's. Pretty wide appeal.

Quote:
The homes look nice and affordable enough but a hyper conservative religious hamlet isn't our thing and it's hardly walkable.
Why do you say it's not walkable?

Old 08-06-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
407 E Liberty Dr WHEATON, IL 60187 | Redfin << this is Red Grange's boyhood home
447 Delles Rd WHEATON, IL 60187 | Redfin
222 W Illinois St WHEATON, IL 60187 | Redfin

Only problem is that they are snatched up so quickly. You'd really have to have one in the chamber and your finger on the trigger.
In fact, all three have their statuses listed as "contingent" already. Dey gone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago