Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 04:12 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,942,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I suppose that if you had your Dunkin Donuts receipt and showed it to the store management and the receipt showed you'd only been away from the lot for about 5 minutes ... you could have avoided the boot fee. On the other hand, are you certain the person whom you paid had permission to boot the car in the lot, and take your money?
I had a friend have this happen at Division and Ashland. Showed the reciept to the store and they took it off. Think about all the coffee and crappy donuts you could have gotten for 140 bucks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 06:05 PM

103 posts, read 224,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
How? You parked where you shouldn't have ... once you finished patronizing Dunkin Donuts. I believe there are signs in that lot, a camera and someone standing around watching for people doing what you did. How would you like to own a business where your parking lot was full of cars parked by people who were shopping/walking elsewhere? I suppose that if you had your Dunkin Donuts receipt and showed it to the store management and the receipt showed you'd only been away from the lot for about 5 minutes ... you could have avoided the boot fee. On the other hand, are you certain the person whom you paid had permission to boot the car in the lot, and take your money?

I should have called the police. I dont undertstand how a private company can screw with your car like that. I will never patronize that Dunkin Donuts ever again.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:23 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,657,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanTheman88 View Post
I should have called the police. I dont undertstand how a private company can screw with your car like that. I will never patronize that Dunkin Donuts ever again.

Like they care. Listen, you wanted to use their lot for free parking and you had to pay. Big time. It never occurred to you that in a crowded neighborhood with little parking the owners of the lot would protect their interest?

Old 06-11-2013, 06:26 PM

There is a big difference between parking in their lot and going to another store and then leaving. I ate at that Dunkin Donuts for 20 minutes and then stopped in another store for 5. I understand that that is technically against their rules, but it is still crap.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:28 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,375,450 times
Quote:
There is a big difference between parking in their lot and going to another store and then leaving. I ate at that Dunkin Donuts for 20 minutes and then stopped in another store for 5. I understand that that is technically against their rules, but it is still crap.
Did you tell the owners you would be gone for 5 minutes? Once you leave their property, how are they to know how long you will be gone?

Old 06-11-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Did you tell the owners you would be gone for 5 minutes? Once you leave their property, how are they to know how long you will be gone?
the guy who booted our car knew exactly how long we were gone when we came back 5 minutes later. He is a private company, he is lucky I didn't punch him in the face when he was putting his dirty thief hands all over my car.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:13 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,657,030 times
Quote:
the guy who booted our car knew exactly how long we were gone when we came back 5 minutes later. He is a private company, he is lucky I didn't punch him in the face when he was putting his dirty thief hands all over my car.
You're probably the lucky one, some of those towing company guys are tough customers. You could've been knocked on your backside and then arrested to boot (pun intended).

What's interesting is your lack of a feeling of responsibility. You took a chance and you lost, take it in stride. That's life in the big city.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:44 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,069,949 times
Quote:
But at the end of the day you do realize that he was doing exactly what he was legally hired to do, and you were doing exactly what the signs in the parking lot say not to do, right?

Old 06-11-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You're probably the lucky one, some of those towing company guys are tough customers. You could've been knocked on your backside and then arrested to boot (pun intended).

What's interesting is your lack of a feeling of responsibility. You took a chance and you lost, take it in stride. That's life in the big city.
I am taking it in stride, it's not even the money that bothers me, its the idea that these guys hide in parking lots just waiting for someone to step away for 5 seconds so they can go messing with people's cars and then rob them. This is blatant theft from this private booting company, plain and simple, and I'm upset the city allows it.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
But at the end of the day you do realize that he was doing exactly what he was legally hired to do, and you were doing exactly what the signs in the parking lot say not to do, right?
Oh please, who even knows where those signs are. I know it will fall on deaf ears, but I am contacting the local alderman and writing a letter to Dunkin Donuts HQ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago