Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 09:45 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I don't mean to be nit-picky but the area had a sizable and growing African-American population before the Cabrini homes were built. I think we're just on different sides of the half-empty half-full debate. The neighborhood is unusual for Chicago because it didn't "flip" rapidly and it was mixed white/black for a few decades as its black population grew. They didn't move there for the projects, they lived in the regular housing that was there, and a few black families still do. Watch Coolie High.
It appears you are right, as African Americans are listed here, though I'm not sure to what extent there was a black population. Would like to read more about it if you have a link. I've never understood it to have been a siginificantly black area before the projects.

Cabrini-Green

I've seen Cooley High, or at least part of it. From what I remember it was literally showing life in Cabrini, no? The exteriors I remember from that area looked like they were shot down Larabee. It was made in the 70s anyway; the row homes were built in 45.

From Wiki: "Monte based the film on his experiences from attending the real-life Cooley Vocational High School (which is no longer standing) that served students from the Cabrini–Green public housing projects in Chicago. While the film was set in and around Cabrini–Green, it was primarily filmed at another Chicago-area housing project. Monte has said that he wrote the film to dispel myths about growing up in the projects: "I grew up in the Cabrini–Green housing project and I had one of the best times of my life, the most fun you can have while inhaling and exhaling".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 02:35 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
It appears you are right, as African Americans are listed here, though I'm not sure to what extent there was a black population. Would like to read more about it if you have a link. I've never understood it to have been a siginificantly black area before the projects.

Cabrini-Green

I've seen Cooley High, or at least part of it. From what I remember it was literally showing life in Cabrini, no? The exteriors I remember from that area looked like they were shot down Larabee. It was made in the 70s anyway; the row homes were built in 45.

From Wiki: "Monte based the film on his experiences from attending the real-life Cooley Vocational High School (which is no longer standing) that served students from the Cabrini–Green public housing projects in Chicago. While the film was set in and around Cabrini–Green, it was primarily filmed at another Chicago-area housing project. Monte has said that he wrote the film to dispel myths about growing up in the projects: "I grew up in the Cabrini–Green housing project and I had one of the best times of my life, the most fun you can have while inhaling and exhaling".
Some of that area became Jeff Fort territory in the 1970s

The Chicago Crime Scenes Project: 1970s

Old 06-17-2013, 05:15 AM

87 posts, read 309,201 times
Are there any housing projects left in Chicago that are even remotely as bad as Cabrini Green was?

Old 06-17-2013, 08:01 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat2d Bald Dude View Post
Are there any housing projects left in Chicago that are even remotely as bad as Cabrini Green was?
Not sure, you should drive around and report back.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:08 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
It was still fully dangerous 10 years ago in 2003? I thought the danger around Cabrini Green pretty much came to a screeching halt around 1999 or 2000.
Many of the high rises still had population in 2003. It was still pretty sketchy, even though demolition was in full force at that time, I believe. I lived in "Ranch Triangle" at the end of 2003, and there was definitely some criminal activity going on south of us in Cabrini.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:09 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,395,465 times
Quote:
no

Old 06-17-2013, 10:56 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post

Cabrini-Green

I wish I had more information but I can't even remember where I read about this. I know The Gold Coast and the Slum talks about it. Coolie High has a few scenes in the neighborhood around the projects, and there's a scene in a restaurant that I believe is still standing on Orleans Street.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,581 times
I understand the towers are demolished, but is the "Cabrini Green" sign still standing anywhere?

Old 07-08-2017, 07:49 PM

195 posts, read 214,785 times
No it was near the Lincoln Park area. Lincoln Park is now a good area. It was run by Gangster Disciples. In 2000 Robert Taylor Homes with Gd's running section A and I believe it was P Stones running section B, was demolished. Cabrini Green was demolished in 2010. Larry Hoover who started GD' s was indicted in 1996, Gustavo Colon of Latin Kings was indicted not long after. This spread gangs into rival gang territories, whichnincreased the violence. Also they continue to indite gang leaders. So now instead of a structured gang, it's basically like just groups of friends running the gangs. Unstructured, unorganized, and no one to check members if they do something really stupid

Old 07-09-2017, 01:12 AM

195 posts, read 214,785 times
The next new Cabrini Green is becoming the Parkway Gardens homes which is basically Black Disciples headquarters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago