Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 06:44 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
It is true that the NHL and Chicago Blackhawks are old school in actually cross promoting the enjoyment of their sport in tradtional bars / taverns unlike weenies that run other sports. Here is the full list of "official sports bar partners" of the Blackhawks...

Official Blackhawks Bars - Chicago Blackhawks - Fan Zone
Yeah Milwaukee actually has a "Official Blackhawks Bar" but it's probably not as fun as it would be if I were down in Chicago. I wonder what makes a bar an "Official" hawks bar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 10:06 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Yeah Milwaukee actually has a "Official Blackhawks Bar"
I never understood why milwaukee/wisconsin doesn't have a pro hockey team....but maybe I just am misinformed about any sort of hockey culture there.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:35 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,222,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I never understood why milwaukee/wisconsin doesn't have a pro hockey team....but maybe I just am misinformed about any sort of hockey culture there.
Bill Wirtz didn't want a team there.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:11 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Mostly lack of market support...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The Admirals have produced a pretty decent AHL experience -- Milwaukeehockey.com - Milwaukee Admirals AHL hockey

Minnesota has had ups & downs with its NHL franchises over the years, the widely held theory is that the realtively long schedule tends to stretch the budget of the small market advertisers who cannot afford to cough up the kind of sponsorship money as those in more metropolitan areas. Despite the Twin Cities and surrounding parts of Wisconsin compromising the 15th largest metro region, many of the small businesses of the area have a very small town mindset and folks on the Badger side if the river do not respond to the same pitch as those on the Gopher side... There is also a theory that folks in MN & WI would rather be outside skating on their own rinks or hunkered down in a tree stand waiting for a buck than watching TV...

The Wirtz theory would fit given the extreme clout he had with League organizers but the NHL has some pretty ruthless marketing people and if they could track down owners with deep pockets / advertisers that wanted to sponsor games in Milwaukee there is no doubt that they would gladly award a franchise. The city is 28th largest in the nation -- for comparison Columbus OH, home to the Blue Jackets, is 15th. The "metro region" is more ambiguous with Milwaukee's at 39th (though that arguably includes some areas more aligned to Chicago area sport/media) while Columbus' is 32nd....

Last edited by chet everett; 06-21-2013 at 07:27 AM..

Old 06-21-2013, 07:59 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,205,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I wonder what makes a bar an "Official" hawks bar?
Probably paying some sort of fee and/or doing promotion at the bar. It doesn't really matter, though, as pretty much any sports bar in the metro area is a Blackhawks bar during game time when the team is in the finals. If I were staying in Naperville and wanted to watch the game I'd probably just go to a sports bar out there rather than coming into the city. A sports bar is a sports bar, as long as you have a big TV, good food and beer, and lots of cheering fans, right? There are lots of bars worth coming into the city for, but sports bars aren't among them, IMO.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:15 AM

Default Obviously not a hockey fan...

For folks unfamilar with perhaps the fastest, most emotionally charged professional sport it may seem that a "sports bar is a sports bar" but beleive me places that are fine for football, basketball or baseball may SUCK for hockey fans.

The relative lack of time outs, especially in the event of a close game / OT means having staff that blocks ones view trying to bring out the next round can RUIN the experince far more easily than the relatively languid pace of other sports.

If one has ever experinced the raucous cheers of The Mad House on Madison or other hockey venues, especially in Original Six markets, the degree to which "up" moments are met with explosive cheers and bad calls / blown plays are met with derision is orders of magnitude more enthusiastic than any other sport. Truly hockey fans are more like the global soccer / football fanatics than other US sports supporters. (I have watched cricket with friends / coworkers that have played the sport in their native country and its pace is nothing like other sports...). While nothing can substitute for the blast of the locomotive air horn at United Center having a siren circling the faces of patrons at true hockey bars comes close.

For these reason, as well as committment to the kind / quantity of large HD TVs that truly make hockey a different viewing experience than years past I strongly recommend seeking out a REAL hockey bar and the closer one can get to the United Center for a home game the more intense the experience will be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Probably paying some sort of fee and/or doing promotion at the bar. It doesn't really matter, though, as pretty much any sports bar in the metro area is a Blackhawks bar during game time when the team is in the finals. If I were staying in Naperville and wanted to watch the game I'd probably just go to a sports bar out there rather than coming into the city. A sports bar is a sports bar, as long as you have a big TV, good food and beer, and lots of cheering fans, right? There are lots of bars worth coming into the city for, but sports bars aren't among them, IMO.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:25 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,598,333 times
I realize that being irrationally contradictory at any cost is your schtick, Chet, but ChiNaan was essentially just agreeing with what you said here:

Quote:
Hockey goes together with beer and big screen TVs better than any other sport. Every wing store / scantily glad barmaid place / national generic sporstbar / eatery will be exploiting that fact and the game is on national broadcast NBC so even mom & pop dive bars will be acceptable viewing.
You'd be taken more seriously here if you only argued with people when they disagree with you.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:33 AM

Default Nice selective EDIT!!!

See how uch difference a little CONTEXT makes --
Quote:
Hockey goes together with beer and big screen TVs better than any other sport. Every wing store / scantily glad barmaid place / national generic sporstbar / eatery will be exploiting that fact and the game is on national broadcast NBC so even mom & pop dive bars will be acceptable viewing.

That said the experince among true hockey fans is worth the little bit of effort to find a REAL hockey bar where they do stuff like sound the siren for home goals. More fun with a home crowd!

If you wanna stay near Naperville you can help support the family of a former Blackhawk star --

Chelios Pub and Grill - Aurora | Urbanspoon

It is nice enough sports bar and the Chelios family are a local hockey dynasty.

The traditional ne plus ultra of Chicago hockey fan's is on Taylor St:

Hawkeye's Bar & Grill is located in the heart of the historic Little Italy district in Chicago

You can count on all the HD TVs being tuned to the game.

Fairly close to UC are two newer places that actaully have really good food, air conditioning that actually will keep the place cool with the heat and humidity-- expect an awesome atmoshere. These are upscale places that take reservations and the expectation is that if you reserve a table you will be eatings a meal and have a crowd:

Market Bar Chicago

Park Tavern - Near West Side - Chicago, IL

It is true that the NHL and Chicago Blackhawks are old school in actually cross promoting the enjoyment of their sport in tradtional bars / taverns unlike weenies that run other sports. Here is the full list of "official sports bar partners" of the Blackhawks...

Official Blackhawks Bars - Chicago Blackhawks - Fan Zone

If you are a wretched human being that is rooting for the team with the yellow B at center ice I hear there is a semi-official group of Beantowners that gather at Brendan's in Lakeview...

Old 06-21-2013, 03:05 PM

125 posts, read 172,524 times
If you decide to stay in Naperville, hit Foundry. Place is RIDICULOUS. My sister lives out that way and I have been a few times.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:33 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
The only place I've been in Naperville is peanuts, I don't know how good it is during a hawks game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago