Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 10:24 AM

830 posts, read 1,727,696 times

Advertisements

First off, I never went to U of C. I think most Chicagoans know that U of C is a great school (though they don't know the extent), but I really don't think the rest of the country is quite aware. Most EDUCATED Americans when they think of the "best" schools, they think of the Princeton, Yale, Harvard, Stanford, MIT, Columbia, etc. I don't think they lump U of C with them despite its high rankings. I know ratings have to be taken with a grain of salt, but they are still a good guide.

I just recently checked out the US News and World Report:
1. Harvard
1. Princeton (tie)
3. Yale
4. Columbia
4. U of C (tie)
6. MIT
6. Stanford (tie)

On global rankings (not from US News), U of C consistently ranks within the top 10 for all world universities (the rank is a little better on US News).

So why don't people (in Chicago and across the country) seem to realize how highly ranked it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 10:33 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default All about frame of reference...

Among the top 25 Universities in the world I really don't think too many people would be able to name the two Canadian schools, the Swiss school, the school in Scotland, the one in Australia, or the one in Hong Kong.

http://www.usnews.com/education/worl...s-in-the-world

Does it really make any difference? There are idiot kids / parents taking on six-figures of debt to major in fields that literally have ZERO employment prospects, some are going to those top 25 schools. Is it any dumber / smarter to major in something with no chance of getting a job from a less prestigious school?

There are lists of the "best value" schools and "most in demand majors", I suspect there are few people aware of those ratings either....

Last edited by chet everett; 06-22-2013 at 11:56 AM..

Old 06-22-2013, 10:33 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,598,333 times
Everyone I know realizes how highly ranked it is. Certainly people in Chicago do.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:37 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,503,046 times
I think anyone who does research would know. Off the top of their head, I can expect someone not to because it isn't as notorious as a Stanford, MIT, Yale, Harvard, Princeton. You hear about those schools in the news, media, and movies a lot -- references to them. With U of C, you don't hear about it as much. I personally know it's on the same level as those ivy league schools -- but because it's not in the Ivy League or as notorious as Stanford, it doesn't come up as much.

In the education world, I think most people know how good U of C is.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:55 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,861,166 times
I agree that it doesn't have the same reputation with the general population that Harvard or Stanford do. I went there for grad school (and a similar level school for undergrad) and I observed that the undergrads seemed to be a somewhat "self-selected" bunch. They seemed nerdy and lacking in social skills compared to a Stanford or Harvard.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:06 AM

955 posts, read 1,831,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Does it really make any difference? There are idiot kids / parents taking on six-figures of debt to major in fields that literally have ZERO employment prospects, some are going to those top 25 schools. Is any dumber / smarter to major in something with no chance of getting a job from a less prestigious school?
Chet, you are a ray of sunshine in almost every thread.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Among the top 25 Universities in the world I really don't think too many people would be able to name the two Canadian schools, the Swiss school, the school in Scotland, the one in Australia, or the one in Hong Kong.

World's Best Universities; Top 400 Universities in the World | US News

Does it really make any difference? There are idiot kids / parents taking on six-figures of debt to major in fields that literally have ZERO employment prospects, some are going to those top 25 schools. Is any dumber / smarter to major in something with no chance of getting a job from a less prestigious school?

There are lists of the "best value" schools and "most in demand majors", I suspect there are few people aware of those ratings either....

I'm not asking if people in Scotland know that U of C is highly ranked. I'm asking why people in the US don't realize where it falls (roughly) in ranks. There are educated people outside of Chicago who may not even have heard of the school. As for one's choice in major or debt burden when going to U of C, that is really OT (and would apply to schools like Columbia as well).

Old 06-22-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
Off the top of their head, I can expect someone not to because it isn't as notorious as a Stanford, MIT, Yale, Harvard, Princeton. You hear about those schools in the news, media, and movies a lot -- references to them. With U of C, you don't hear about it as much.
That's probably it

Old 06-22-2013, 11:26 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post

So why don't people (in Chicago and across the country) seem to realize how highly ranked it is?
In the first place do people really not know it's highly ranked? Maybe your premise is in error because everyone I talk to about colleges knows U of C is top shelf. And I talk more to building trades people who send their kids to college than to college graduates. So if the average boilermaker or pipefitter around here knows the school's excellence I have to think the college educated know too.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:40 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,598,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
Chet, you are a ray of sunshine in almost every thread.
Damn those smarty-pants educated urban hipsters! Don't they know they're supposed to attend crappy schools so they can be doomed to bitter dead-end life in the suburbs, trolling internet forums in their spare time? Get off my lawn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago