Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 10:32 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,367,423 times

Advertisements

It's hard to find a job for the unskilled. I have two younger brothers- both live in the Morgan Park neighborhood and it's hard for them to find jobs. Neither of them have a "record" and even have "some college" but there aren't many job opportunities on the south side. The places that are hiring only dishes out 10-15 hrs a week and wants you to have an open schedule. One of my brothers did find a job in Logan Square mentoring children- it's a hour and a half commute by train that pays $8.25 and 20 hours a week, but hey it's a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 12:26 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,203,827 times
The problem with the young people in these disadvantaged neighborhoods is that they want good-paying job s with no skills. They want instant gratification and aren’twilling to start at the bottom and work their way up, which is why many of them resort to selling drugs. They want high pay with minimum skill and effort. They complain that the jobs only pay minimum wage, ignoring the fact that they have no advanced skills or education that would command a higher salary.

They don’t look at the big picture. They don’t look at things and say, “I’ll take this minimum wage fast-food/retail job and work my way up into management.” They don’t understand that fast-food and retail could grow into management, health benefits, college tuition reimbursement and a way into the corporate offices (or even franchise ownership) if they are on time, do great work and learn how to run the store in all areas and cross-train. If they can’t have a high-paying job right now, they’d rather not work it all. It also doesn’t help that they don’t know how to present themselves when looking for a job.

If you have only one job giving 20 hours a week, then you get a second job if your aren't in school.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:16 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,566,936 times
You don't always have an option of getting a second job when the manager can/will ********* with an inconsistent schedule at their whim. That's part of the reason for restaurant turnover; managers practically sabotage their employees' abilities to work second jobs by refusing to give consistent hours. And good luck getting a managerial position without a degree or internally; that is not the norm by any means these days.

Frankly, your whole post is condescending. Sure there are some people in poor areas - oh wait, that's all areas - that want a well paid job despite a lack of academic and employment history, but when you hear about openings at a new McDonalds where 100s if not 1000s of people are waiting outside to apply, knowing full well the jobs pay minimum wage, having come from impoverished neighborhoods, then you see a lot of people hungry for work.

Edit: I can't say "*********"? The heck??

Old 06-24-2013, 02:29 PM

118 posts, read 193,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
The one thing that banning concealed carry does is allow police to bring in suspected gang members in when they find a handgun on a person or in a car.
And they still will be able to do so. How many suspected gang members do you think obtain FOID cards or will go through the training and background check requirements to get a concealed carry permit...somewhere near zero.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
You don't always have an option of getting a second job when the manager can/will ********* with an inconsistent schedule at their whim. That's part of the reason for restaurant turnover; managers practically sabotage their employees' abilities to work second jobs by refusing to give consistent hours. And good luck getting a managerial position without a degree or internally; that is not the norm by any means these days.

Frankly, your whole post is condescending. Sure there are some people in poor areas - oh wait, that's all areas - that want a well paid job despite a lack of academic and employment history, but when you hear about openings at a new McDonalds where 100s if not 1000s of people are waiting outside to apply, knowing full well the jobs pay minimum wage, having come from impoverished neighborhoods, then you see a lot of people hungry for work.

Edit: I can't say "*********"? The heck??
I have worked two jobs. I have worked retail and fast food and have had consistent schedules in both. I know some companies may want more flexible schedules but I have never not gotten a consistent schedule when I have asked for one. I'm not being condescending. People work two jobs all the time in retail and fast food. I worked a restaurant job from 2010 to 2012 and I had a regular schedule every single day. What you do is you find a restaurant that works in shifts:lunch shift and a dinner shift. The morning people work the morning shift every day, same with the evening. I know because I have done it.

I have always worked since I was 16, fast food being my first job. I'd never been out of work until the last recession, and as a woman in my 30's, I took a fast food job when I was laid off and worked my way into manager training because it was what I had to do. I am now back in an office job fortunately but they have recently cut my hours. What I am doing? Looking for a part-time retail job as we speak until I get something better.

I'm not saying that all people don't want a good paying job, but you can't expect a good paying job when you have NO experience, NO skills, and NO education beyond high school or you haven't finished high school yet. You can't afford to be picky in those circumstances. Like I said, look at where you are, start there and work your way up. The very thing black people say they can't do, I see Latinos doing it all day every day. Low-income African-Americans have to stop making excuses and sacrifice to get ahead.

I am black by the way...

Old 06-24-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
It's hard to find a job for the unskilled. I have two younger brothers- both live in the Morgan Park neighborhood and it's hard for them to find jobs. Neither of them have a "record" and even have "some college" but there aren't many job opportunities on the south side. The places that are hiring only dishes out 10-15 hrs a week and wants you to have an open schedule. One of my brothers did find a job in Logan Square mentoring children- it's a hour and a half commute by train that pays $8.25 and 20 hours a week, but hey it's a job.
You can get a job with no skills if you present yourself professionally, show that you are willing to work hard, and that you have an eagerness to learn. I'm not saying it's easy because this last recession has been a real game-changer for everyone, but it can be done.

And we all have some skills or something we are good at but many of us who were brought up on the south side were not taught to play up those skills or how to present ourselves when looking for a job. I am fortunate that from a very young age I had a mother that taught my siblings and I how to speak and how to present ourselves when looking for work, and to be persistent when making contacts.

If you can't find a job on the south side, keep looking elsewhere. As a teen I traveled from the south side to the south suburbs or from the south suburbs to downtown to go to work. Was it a pain? I didn't think of it that way. I just knew I had to get to work so that's what I did.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:57 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,191,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWaterhouse View Post
And they still will be able to do so. How many suspected gang members do you think obtain FOID cards or will go through the training and background check requirements to get a concealed carry permit...somewhere near zero.
There are plenty of gang members with valid FOID cards - they work for gangs as straw purchasers. The difficulty of getting a concealed carry permit will depend on how tough the requirements are, and I'm sure you're pushing to see tough regulations

Old 06-25-2013, 02:08 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,662,744 times
This all happened in 1 day?? Yikes! This was in one area right?

Old 06-25-2013, 02:17 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,192,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
This all happened in 1 day?? Yikes! This was in one area right?
Three murders in an American city of nearly 3 million in one day is not unusual. In terms of murder rate it would be the equivalent of Denver having one murder in two days.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:20 PM

9,892 posts, read 9,533,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Just like people in northwest indiana, who commute one hour each way to work in chicago, these people looking for employment may need to take the train to get to work if they want to work. or maybe they could move closer to their job of choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago