Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 03:57 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Sigh...I should really give up on you, as everyone else appears to have wisely done, but I refuse to believe you are truly too dense to get this, especially when you're staring right at it, so I will attempt once again.

First of all, there is no list of "overall crime rate" (whatever the hell that would even mean on a global scale) at that link. There are, however, numerous "first world" countries (again, whatever the hell THAT even means in 2013..I'm assuming you mean countries with large economies) above the U.S. on the list in EVERY SINGLE CATEGORY listed. Belgium, Australia, England, Canada, Germany, Mexico, France, and on...and on....and on.
My original post recieved 3 reps. I've gotten 5 reps on this thread. And one person publicly back me up on the forum. I made people think and obviously pushed some buttons too.

America still has one of the highest crime rates out of any developed nation yet one of the largest prison populations. Is anyone gonna disrupte that? Is the point of my post really refuted if it's only "one of them" and not "number one"? In "EVERY SINGLE CATEGORY " the United States is pretty high on the list. And yet we have the largest prison population of any developed nation. What's up with that?

Even more data is on my shelf in the book Crime And Punishment In America. You should read it.

Last edited by urza216; 06-28-2013 at 05:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 05:35 PM

*dispute that

Old 06-29-2013, 07:26 AM

Actually, the U.S has THE highest incarceration rate in the world. So why isn't it one of the safest? At the very least, it has an ABOVE AVERAGE crime rate among developed nations. Is anyone gonna deny that?

Sorry for being stubborn and dense and making everyone sigh but it just doesn't make sense to me..

Old 06-29-2013, 08:21 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Actually, the U.S has THE highest incarceration rate in the world.
Correct. Not disputed.

Quote:
At the very least, it has an ABOVE AVERAGE crime rate among developed nations.
Also correct. Also not disputed.

Once again, you're changing your argument.

Last edited by nearnorth; 06-29-2013 at 09:02 AM..

Old 06-29-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post

Also correct. Also not disputed.

Once again, you're changing your argument.
No, I am not. My argument has been exactly the same and my argument has never actually been tackled by anyone. Me saying the U.S has the highest crime rate of any first world county has been disputed. But the whole point of me saying that was to criticize the justice system..

My argument is that the U.S has a high incarceration rate and high crime rate so that whole statement about "the justice system should stop f***ing around" is silly. Handing out life sentences like parking violations (or whatever the OP said) isn't gonna work..

The point of my post hasn't really been called out, only a specific thing I said. And my premise is far from false as you just admitted by saying "not disputing".

And I NEVER said the U.S has a higher crime rate than all other counties. I was only talking about First World countries. What do you mean "once again"? Do I really have to explain this again? The whole sentence referred to first world countries not just the end of it.

Last edited by urza216; 06-29-2013 at 10:18 AM..

Old 06-29-2013, 11:36 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
My original post recieved 3 reps. I've gotten 5 reps on this thread.
So you've got that going for you, which is nice.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
So you've got that going for you, which is nice.
Yep, and my last post got another rep on this thread. Soo.. Do you even disagree with what I said and the justice system? What exactly is the problem here?

Old 06-29-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
No, I am not.
Not only are you, it's practically all you do. You've established a well-observed pattern here by now.

Quote:
Me saying the U.S has the highest crime rate of any first world county has been disputed.
It wasn't disputed. It was disproven. Learn and accept the difference.

Quote:
My argument is that the U.S has a high incarceration rate
That is an accurate statement. That's why nobody called you out on it. The other statement was inaccurate, which is why several people called you out on it. See how that works?

Quote:
And I NEVER said the U.S has a higher crime rate than all other counties. I was only talking about First World countries.
First you said one, then you said the other. That's moot, though, since both were incorrect. Multiple people posted multiple links clearly illustrating that both were incorrect. You actually read the links (or at least claimed to), and continued to claim that you were right. Surely you can see how people are going to call you out on that.

It really is easy to just admit you made a mistake, move on, and have everyone respect you. For your sake I hope you try it sometime. For the sake of entertainment on this forum, though, a part of me hopes you never do.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Yep, and my last post got another rep on this thread.
Gosh, that must mean that you're right and the data from the UN is wrong, then. There's no disputing the highly scientific C-D "rep" system.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:

First you said one, then you said the other. That's moot, though, since both were incorrect. Multiple people posted multiple links clearly illustrating that both were incorrect. You actually read the links (or at least claimed to), and continued to claim that you were right. Surely you can see how people are going to call you out on that.

It really is easy to just admit you made a mistake, move on, and have everyone respect you. For your sake I hope you try it sometime. For the sake of entertainment on this forum, though, a part of me hopes you never do.
What's your problem? Do you think I'm lying or something?

My sentence was, "America has the highest crime rate and yet the highest incarceration rate of any first world country" or something to that affect. I NEVER said it had the highest crime rate of any county. I know it doesn't. You can't tell me what I know or don't know. Just because you misunderstood my comment, that doesn't make your misunderstanding of my comment what I meant to say. I NEVER said America has the highest crime rate of any country. Why do you people keep on insisting I said something I didn't say when I explained myself over and over again?

The only mistake is the poor reading comprehension of my comment and the lack of clarity. However, the entire sentence was referring to first world countries not just the end of it.

Quote:

It wasn't disputed. *It was disproven. *Learn and accept the difference.

That is an accurate statement. *That's why nobody called you out on it. *The other statement was inaccurate, which is why several people called you out on it. *See how that works?
The data in Drover's link placed the U.S in a high crime rate in all categories. What other first would county was placed in a high crime category in every single category in that cluster of data? Nothing was disproven. This is why no one can name one first world country with a higher crime rate than the U.S. You are far from a scientific mind if you think that link disproved my statement.

Perhaps the real problem is that you have a problem with me. You don't really think that link PROVED anything, do you?

Proof that America doesn't have the highest crime rate out of any first would country =
Being able to name one first world country with a higher overall crime rate

Sooo.. The U.S is number 1 in crime on here. Let's hyper-focus on Drover's link and pretend no one posted this though.

I'm willing to bet a million bucks ChiNaan didn't even click this link. No, I don't have a million bucks but that's fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago