Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 12:28 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,838,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
So they can get to their jobs in the Loop? YEAH, I think that's important!
While the trains all converge in the Loop, it's pretty frivolous to think that people just use the trains to get from the Loop to wherever (or wherever to the Loop). Far from the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 06:45 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,762,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
They are basically doing it because the CTA ordered a few billion dollars of new series of rail cars to start delivery in 2016. The track in some areas (pretty much all track for what they're replacing) couldnt work with the new cars - so they're replacing it.

Also it's been proposed to extend the Red Line over 5 miles south to 130th street (currently goes to 95th street) which would go through Washington Heights, Morgan Park, and into Blue Island. Not sure of what the status of this is. IMO they should be spending the money to make more E-W stuff. It would be nice to make an E-W line that connect says Lincoln Park or Lakeview to Logan Square/Avondale/Humboldt Park/etc and things in between. No offense to the far far south side.

http://www.transitchicago.com/redeis
Excuse my ignorance but what is E-W?

Old 06-28-2013, 08:18 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,968,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Perhaps, and this is going to probably be an unpopular statement, but is spending hundreds of millions of dollars to make traveling into the loop, for mostly low income households, slightly more convenient, really that important?

There are so many other under served (rapid transit wise) parts of the city that would actually have a great impact to the city as a whole, if those dollars were allocated there.
The low income folks who can't afford cars unlike the higher income people who can just makes more sense. After all you do have low income employees doing low income blue collar jobs in the city. I know since I use to be one of those people who can relate more and didn't have a car at the time relying more on public transit.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:54 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,838,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Excuse my ignorance but what is E-W?
East-West

Old 06-29-2013, 02:13 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,979,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
The low income folks who can't afford cars unlike the higher income people who can just makes more sense. After all you do have low income employees doing low income blue collar jobs in the city. I know since I use to be one of those people who can relate more and didn't have a car at the time relying more on public transit.
It is also an issuse of fairness. The El system extends past the boarder of Chicago to the north and west but to the South the Orange line stops a few blocks short of the boarder and the Red line even further short. It would be nice if people who live on 130th street in Chicago can do what people in Cicero, Evanston, Oak Park, Skokie and Forest Park can do, have an el stop! And people who do live in those areas do have reasons to go down town. A person who used to so some services with us but lacked a reliable car had to go from about 130th to the loop to pick up her check because the idiot company wouldn’t mail it.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:18 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,979,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
And they can't get there today?
They can get there but it means you need to hop a bus at 95th which increases your transit time by about 20-30 mins or so. Metra is infrequent and more costly plus the Red line serves more than just the loop(i.e. People do board and get off at the other stops).

Old 06-29-2013, 02:51 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,192,878 times
A lot of people also drive to 95th to get on the Red Line. The 95th/Dan Ryan stop has something like 11,000 daily boardings, which puts it in the same league as many Loop stops and the busiest Red Line stops on the Northside (which are also Brown and Purple Line stops). There is certainly a demand there, and due to existing rail lines and available land the cost will be significantly lower per mile than most of the other projects mentioned in this thread. Also, there is an actual demand for it from residents of the area, as opposed to the opposition that many new rail lines would face in residential neighborhoods in other parts of the city.

Last edited by Attrill; 06-29-2013 at 03:49 PM..

Old 06-29-2013, 03:48 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,382,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
I'm not sure what your point is....

Old 06-29-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
They can get there but it means you need to hop a bus at 95th which increases your transit time by about 20-30 mins or so. Metra is infrequent and more costly plus the Red line serves more than just the loop(i.e. People do board and get off at the other stops).
OK so there are a few options....How is the cost of the extension of the red line extension justified?

Old 06-29-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
It is also an issuse of fairness. The El system extends past the boarder of Chicago to the north and west but to the South the Orange line stops a few blocks short of the boarder and the Red line even further short. It would be nice if people who live on 130th street in Chicago can do what people in Cicero, Evanston, Oak Park, Skokie and Forest Park can do, have an el stop! And people who do live in those areas do have reasons to go down town. A person who used to so some services with us but lacked a reliable car had to go from about 130th to the loop to pick up her check because the idiot company wouldn’t mail it.
Well as the saying goes, life ain't fair. Additionally, its not like people moved to 130th street with a red line stop close by and it was shut down; it never existed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago