Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 09:35 AM

44 posts, read 75,607 times

Advertisements

Love Amtrak as a quality option, buses are awful! Air is an option but PRICEY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 09:56 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Forget Amtrak, assuming the person is flying to Chicago to begin with, I don't see why they wouldn't just transfer on through to Champaign's airport.
Cost vs time. Flight is about 45 minutes verses 3 hours or more by train. The afternoon flight costs about 8 times more than Amtrak. If the track is not completed to Champaign yet, there will be a layover at Normal while the OP waits for a Grayhound bus. If this is the case it might be cheaper to fly into Bloomington and pay a buck for a bus to Normal Amtrak.

Since I don't visit B-N or C-U, I do not know if the track is completed or not. In any case it is painful to get from O'hara to Champaign unless you hire a limo.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:52 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
If anyone still cares : (as I suspect OP found a solution to her problem...)

The On Time performance of the Illini Service (which includes stops in both Champaign and Carbondale) is good / excellent.

Station Resources — Great American Stations

The travel time is listed as 2:10, there is no "bus transfer". The cheapest seats are on the 8:15AM for $15 It does not take 3 or more hours...

On jobs figures and how accurate they are: ShortFormBlog

I am not a fan of fake high speed rail but when what does exist is misrepresented I sorta have to shake my head...
'

Old 07-16-2013, 01:55 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,169,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
How about the price?
Right now you have a range of options from Dallas to Chicago at around $425, and Dallas to Champaign at around $575.

For $150, if you can afford to fly north to begin with, it's well worth the price difference. Amtrak would be at least $60 round trip, so the cost savings is really only $90. Maybe that's worth it for a student spending their own money, but I recon a professor or even research assistant's time is worth more than $15/hr (based on round trip time) to a university.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:27 AM

116 posts, read 397,321 times
Thanks for the information. This is the first time I have done travel for a visit to UI@UC. This will be the last time we use the bus. BTW, he is a Jr. Faculty Member and travel funds are limited. But with all of the other options you have provided, the next time anyone from my department must visit UI@UC, I will recommend Amtrak or flying directly to Champaign. Cheers!!

Old 07-17-2013, 08:39 AM

44 posts, read 75,607 times
Tell your faculty member to dress for insanely warm temps, it is VERY hot here right now.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:31 AM

1,131 posts, read 2,025,613 times
Champaign from downtown Chicago? Hands down, Amtrak is the way to go. But from Ohare? I'd just bite the bullet and ride the bus (Peoria Charter). IMHO, The Amtrak isn't enough nicer to justify the hassle of dragging your luggage behind you on the L, from the L station to Union station, through Union station, and going through the Amtrak boarding process there which sometimes is almost as much of a hassle as going through security at the airport.

Next time you have to book travel to Champaign, consider flights into Midway instead of Ohare. It's only 2.5 hours by bus to Champaign instead of 4 hours.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:25 PM

116 posts, read 397,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepLiquid View Post
Tell your faculty member to dress for insanely warm temps, it is VERY hot here right now.
I've been reading about the crazy temperatures in your "neck of the woods." Take care and avoid heat exhuastion and dehydration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago