Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 08:57 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
Yeah, my family has had Hawks season tickets going back to 2005 and there were plenty of nights where there were no more than 5k people there. The Hawks most definitely reported tickets sold and not actual people in the building. They started consistently selling out at the end of the 2007-2008 season and I believe have been sold out since.
Do you have any idea how small a crowd 5000 people constitute! There are more folks than that at most minor league games. Seriously. You can prattle on all you want about it but the fact is I posted the average attendance links and there would have to some incredibly bizarre circumstances for the number you cite to be routine and the averages still in the range cited...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 09:16 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Do you have any idea how small a crowd 5000 people constitute! There are more folks than that at most minor league games. Seriously. You can prattle on all you want about it but the fact is I posted the average attendance links and there would have to some incredibly bizarre circumstances for the number you cite to be routine and the averages still in the range cited...
I used to go to 20-25 games per year during the dark ages. Keep in mind that average attendance is number of tickets sold and given away, not how many were there. There were often just a few hundred people in the 300 level, the largest seating area in the UC, for most games and entire sections would have nobody in them. Keep in mind that the suites were empty and those are bought and paid for for all UC events as well. They'd always sell out against Detroit and bring in good crowds against the other O6 teams though.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:17 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prost View Post
I agree, but had the Blackhawks been winning, I think they would have had far better attendance, regardless of Bill Wirtz. I highly doubt fans would continue to boycott the games if they were making runs deep into the playoffs. Bill Wirtz is a convenient scapegoat. But, it's a moot point because he was a bad owner and didn't do enough to help build a good team to make these runs in the first place.
Correct, if Wirtz didn't push out fan favorites for garbage because he didn't want to pay for them, the team would have been better and more fans would be there. But that's exactly why fans hated him. The game, and the world, had long passed him by, and his stubborn refusal to change drove the organization into the ground.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:27 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
It's a business. Sorta like the differnce between somebody that plays poker to pay his rent and somebody that plays for the fun of it, sometimes the thrill of trying to draw a straight makes no sense when the pot just ain't that big...

Old 07-20-2013, 11:57 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
Not meaning to be a troll, but I find the obsession by white people for Blackhawks ridiculous.
Hmmm - still working through the thread - but wow!

Harrier has to wonder what people besides white people should be Blackhawks fans?

Old 07-21-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
I understand how the draft thing works. My point is cities without a "culture" of ICE are not going to afford a good team and have any kind of fan base. Like I said before, you can count on one hand the big cities that do have ICE. So it is no surprise Blackhawks should win. They are champions of a sport only a few cities play at their level.
Harrier submits the Los Angeles Kings to prove you wrong.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Yep! Denver, Dallas, St. Louis, Los Angeles, NYC, Boston, Tampa, Raleigh, Philly, Phoenix, DC, etc. All well-known Great Lakes cities for sure.
Yep. Not to mention that storied NHL team currently playing in Milwaukee.

Oh, wait...

Old 07-21-2013, 08:32 PM

541 posts, read 912,627 times
Its been established.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:37 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,609,630 times
Someone probably said this by now..But even with the op's crazy logic, wouldn't all Canadian teams in the NHL be favored over Chicago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago