Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 08:01 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,844,640 times

Advertisements

I'm going to disagree--strongly--with this notion that hockey before HDTV was unwatchable. I grew up in Vermont, and only 90 miles from Montreal, and we received several Canadian stations, includng a couple which televised "Hockey Night in Canada" from either Montreal or Toronto, and the viewing picture was always perfectly fine. Hockey is not a difficult sport to follow "on TV", and never has been...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 08:17 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,971,395 times
Maybe rural arwas had less multi path distortion / ghosts. In many parts of Chicago the reflected signal resulted in three / four copies of the "action" all sort of laid atop each other...

Old 07-18-2013, 08:55 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,176,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I'm going to disagree--strongly--with this notion that hockey before HDTV was unwatchable.
Absolutely. I grew up in Boston watching the Bruins on a small TV in the 70's and never felt that it was unwatchable. Based on the Bruin's fan base at the time plenty of people agreed with me. I remember when Fox started doing that stupid glowing puck thing and could never understand why they thought that was necessary.

That said, I certainly noticed the difference when we got our first HDTV. It was one of the things I liked most about the upgrade.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:11 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,181,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
I just read the NHL wikipedia page, and it confirms that this is a sport for cold places. All the major teams are centered around the great lakes.. So Chicago is best of these half-dozen cities, wowee, who cares?
Yep! Denver, Dallas, St. Louis, Los Angeles, NYC, Boston, Tampa, Raleigh, Philly, Phoenix, DC, etc. All well-known Great Lakes cities for sure.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Absolutely. I grew up in Boston watching the Bruins on a small TV in the 70's and never felt that it was unwatchable. Based on the Bruin's fan base at the time plenty of people agreed with me. I remember when Fox started doing that stupid glowing puck thing and could never understand why they thought that was necessary.

That said, I certainly noticed the difference when we got our first HDTV. It was one of the things I liked most about the upgrade.
Hockey Night in Canada in the 60s and 70s was extremely watchable...

Remember "Peter Puck" from the Sunday afternoon games on NBC in the 70s?

Old 07-18-2013, 09:48 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,971,395 times
I share season tickets. Sunday games were ones I took the kids to the Stadium.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:23 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,799,044 times
Quote:
I wouldn't expect countries without beaches to be any good in beach volleyball. So I would not expect cities without ICE to be good at ICE hockey! What's so hard to understand? Chicago is the biggest city with ICE that plays this sport, so should be #1.
Okay, it's called a salary cap (no team can spend more than x amount on their roster each year, and teams also have to spend a x amount to reach the salary cap floor), drafting, and free agency, which are irrelevant to the size of your city--it's not like baseball where the big markets have financial advantages. Also, it's called modern engineering and technology-they can build these facilities called ice rinks within a building that has technology that can keep it cold, and people can magically stake on them.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:25 AM

521 posts, read 700,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
Okay, it's called a salary cap (no team can spend more than x amount on their roster each year, and teams also have to spend a x amount to reach the salary cap floor), drafting, and free agency, which are irrelevant to the size of your city--it's not like baseball where the big markets have financial advantages.
So the average Joe who knows nothing about ice hockey is supposed to know all this So what you are saying is Canada and Chicago should dominate NHL, but because of "artificial" limits, they do not. So I am back to square one, where I still find the mania ridiculous.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
So the average Joe who knows nothing about ice hockey is supposed to know all this So what you are saying is Canada and Chicago should dominate NHL, but because of "artificial" limits, they do not. So I am back to square one, where I still find the mania ridiculous.
No, we're not saying this at all. And there's not really that much to know in the first place.

But it's clear that you don't understand any of this.

Give up this charade, while you're already behind.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:25 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,181,179 times
Quote:
I wouldn't expect countries without beaches to be any good in beach volleyball. So I would not expect cities without ICE to be good at ICE hockey!
Do you think professional sports teams are made up of players from the city in which the team is located, the same way Olympic teams are made up of players from the countries they represent? (Hint: They're not. They're made up of the best players from around the world that the teams can afford.)

Personally, I don't "get" hockey, either. I don't find it interesting, I find it difficult to watch on TV (can anyone actually see the puck?), boringly low-scoring, and I find bandwagon fans to be obnoxious. It's clearly a highly competitive sport, though, and it's clearly a big deal for fans of a team when their team wins the national championship. Nothing you're saying in an attempt to contradict or minimize that is making any sense whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago