Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 11:39 PM

35 posts, read 71,582 times

Advertisements

I have lots of friends from the west side neighborhoods such as wicker park, university village, pilsen ect. and they are some of my fav places I have been to in the city. Other than Humbolt Park I see nothing dangerous about the west side, why do people bash it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 11:41 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,901,368 times
Austin, Garfield Park, North Lawndale, and some other West Side areas are among the most dangerous ghettoes in the city. The areas you named are the nice parts of the West Side, except for Wicker Park which is really on the Northwest Side (it's north of the West Line C&NW railroad tracks).

Old 07-21-2013, 01:31 AM

30 posts, read 62,936 times
Is Humbolt Park really that dangerous? What about daytime?

Old 07-21-2013, 01:44 AM

367 posts, read 671,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvery View Post
Is Humbolt Park really that dangerous? What about daytime?
the west side of HP is pretty terrible, at least visually. i don't know if it backs up its blight with bodies

Old 07-21-2013, 01:47 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,865,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjt123 View Post
the west side of HP is pretty terrible, at least visually. i don't know if it backs up its blight with bodies
Yeah the West side of HP is not great. The east side closer to Ukrainian Village and Wicker Park is not that bad in my opinion.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:35 AM

367 posts, read 671,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yeah the West side of HP is not great. The east side closer to Ukrainian Village and Wicker Park is not that bad in my opinion.
Yeah, California has quite a lot of gentrification going on

It gets pretty industrial in the southern portion near the railyards. I wonder if that will thwart gentrification or if they'll be designer lofts in 10 years a la Long Island City in NYC

Old 07-21-2013, 05:54 AM

9,903 posts, read 9,554,021 times
I was out riding in my car yesterday.. went over to the old Cabrini Green area, totally looks different. I think this is one part of the near west side that is shortly going to be really gentrified shortly. In fact, the people walking by were mostly young people (20 somethings) and mixed races. Looks like Old Town and Lincoln Park expanding type of neighborhood there.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:21 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,047,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMonroe View Post
I have lots of friends from the west side neighborhoods such as wicker park, university village, pilsen ect. and they are some of my fav places I have been to in the city. Other than Humbolt Park I see nothing dangerous about the west side, why do people bash it?
That's because you haven't been to the REAL west side at all. Drive down Roosevelt Road from downtown all the way out to Berwyn sometime. The blight seems endless. Come back here and tell us what you think after that.

University Village and Pilson are both very close to downtown. And Wicker Park is often considered the north side.. Go further out sometime without heading north..

Old 07-21-2013, 08:11 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,916,954 times
To me, the west side refers to Garfield Park, Austin, etc. like what was mentioned above. Wicker Park, West Town, U. Village are the Near Northwest side, or some call them just the north side. I am not sure if Humboldt Park would be considered NW or W or in part of both.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:15 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,452,277 times
I chuckled reading this post too (no offense to the OP). The west side is bad, but not as terrible as people make it seem. The west and south sides are made up of native (black) Chicagoans, and that scares a lot of people. Most people who move to a new city are not going to live where the natives do, as natives generally don't live near the city center (because of affordability).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago