Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2013, 08:16 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
One of my recent warnings for calling out a troll... "Attempting to moderate by discussing moderation in forums"

This board is a joke.
This thread is a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 08:23 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
What kind of moron would go to Chitago as a tourist?

Of all the places in the world.............Chitago?
Troll alert.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:35 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post

Ever seen the rich in DC? They look insufferably boring. It doesn't stand out to someone from the midwest. Chicago actually has trendier people in some of the suburbs with high concentrations of Russians or Eastern Europeans than the city's yuppie neighborhoods.

Of course, LA is not all glitter, the majority of it is not. But it's not like people visiting make it a point to go check out Watts.
And glitter is something we're supposed to aspire to? Some of us call that tacky. You probably think the Kardashians are worthy of attention.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:44 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
One of my recent warnings for calling out a troll... "Attempting to moderate by discussing moderation in forums"

This board is a joke.
It's getting really bad.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:19 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,754,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post

Hermes, Gucci, Prada, Burberry, Brunello Cucinelli, Chanel, Louis Vitton, SuitSupply, Lanvin, Christian Louboutin, Jil Sander, Giorgio Armani, Emporio Armani, Moncler, Jimmy Choo, Paul Stuart, VINCE, Jack Spade, BCBG Max Azria, Ermenegildo Zegna, Ted Baker, Salvatore Ferragamo, Hugo Boss, and then a bunch more fashion forward ones in West Town have boutiques in Chicago for a reason. Brioni, YSL (again, they closed for two years), and Tom Ford within a few months will all be opening. Many others, I only listed a few ones. You can't find ANY of this in Minneapolis. In fact, you'd have a hard time finding it anywhere in the midwest except for Chicago. They pick cities they know they will have business in.
I'm not denying that, but the residents there are generally more fashionable (I have spent time in both cities recently), even with Chicago having more higher-end shopping. Minneapolis is also a fitness-oriented city and Chicago is not.

I know you have this strange law that requires someone live in a place at least a year before they can pick up on any of this stuff, but it really doesn't take long at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
And glitter is something we're supposed to aspire to? Some of us call that tacky. You probably think the Kardashians are worthy of attention.
No, I don't. At the same time, I have to respect the fact they've become multi-millionaires over a reality tv show.

It would be a big deal if they were seen in Chicago. Possibly main story on WGN. I have seen topics in this forum that went for pages about Rosie O'Donell moving to Lakeview. These types of things just wouldn't get the same mileage in LA.

Anyways, back to topic.

Last edited by tollfree; 07-25-2013 at 12:28 PM..

Old 07-25-2013, 12:27 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
It would be a big deal if they were seen in Chicago. Possibly main story on WGN. I have seen topics in this forum that went for pages about Rosie O'Donell moving to Lakeview. These types of things just wouldn't get the same mileage in LA.
Obviously, but then again the problem with your statement is the fact that you are putting too much weight on what people here think. This is only a small sample of an actual population and doesn't represent, necessarily, the views of the average Chicagoan. If you really think that, then you probably need to learn that and that counts for any forum for just about anything on the internet.

As far as celebrity stuff goes, yes it would be a bigger deal in Chicago since it's not as ingrained into the culture as LA, but not really that big of a deal to most people. No offense, but you sound like someone who lived in Chicago in the 90s and still thinks they know how things are today. Two weeks ago, George Lucas had his wedding reception in Hyde Park and a bunch of celebrities showed up to it. It was not on any TV news, it was like a side story on their websites about how a bunch of celebs would be in Hyde Park. Nobody made a big deal about it. Celebrities are in Chicago almost every day, but you don't hear about it much. I can't tell you how many I've drank next to at a few places or run into on the street. They are never mentioned on TV unless they are doing some huge fundraiser or party or something. The only mention of them are small blogs or the Chicago Tribune has a very small section of their site that sometimes shows where they were. It's not broadcast over the news though.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:28 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Again, I'm sure it can be found there, but you would think there would be more of a fashion-forward culture in a city as big as Chicago. It's more similar to Des Moines in this aspect when it should be closer to LA.
Well the most obvious reason is that in LA (and NY and Miami) the fashion industry is huge. Not so much for Chicago. Ever been to San Francisco? People there dress mostly horribly in my experience. And why wouldn't they? Dominated by the tech industry. Does that make SF like a lesser city like Des Moines? I guess if how other people dress is that important to you. But it seems really silly to me.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:32 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Ever been to San Francisco? People there dress mostly horribly in my experience. And why wouldn't they? Dominated by the tech industry. Does that make SF like a lesser city like Des Moines? I guess if how other people dress is that important to you. But it seems really silly to me.
I agree. Actually we had a very important researcher at my work the other week from San Jose/San Francisco. She showed up in shorts and a tshirt to our meeting. While that's bad fashion, it still doesn't say anything about her importance to various areas, how much money she has (probably a lot), etc.

At the end of the day, fashion is just a minor part of what makes a city and even if you're going for a hip factor - it's just one fraction of the overall picture. It's not the end all be on, and after awhile, most people follow trends, even in fashionable cities. Otherwise every single person would have different styles. There are very few true innovators - but just because you aren't original doesn't make you any less fashionable than someone else.

I like fashion quite a bit, it's a form of self expression, but it's not the end all be all of a city. I was talking to my friend who just moved here from Brazil (very fashionable guy...has been approached numerous times by big modelling agencies to model for them). He said "No, people are fashionable in Chicago. The problem is that many don't create their own fashions - they follow trends." I agree with that statement the most, and when I asked him if he cared, he said no because there's still a variety of styles around and they look good and contribute to the overall diversity. But when I mentioned that some people think that Chicago is not very fashionable, he disagreed with me, at least about various areas of the city.

While I'm contributing to the conversation, I think it's rather depressing that someone would rate how "cool" a city is because 90% of the residents don't follow the latest fashion trend that some celebrity's stylist created. I'd rather think for myself than be a follower, and most people in this world are followers no matter what it is.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:23 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,039 times
RonnieJonez continues to troll I see.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:44 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,754,124 times
marothisu, do you always use "qualifiers" for everything you post? It's like you have them stockpiled somewhere.

You always seem to magically know someone who supports your argument, the "qualifier". You mention the opposing viewpoint to them, they get back to you, tell you what you want to hear, you bring it to the forum. Has to get old. You have to keep in mind, lots of pandering goes on by newcomers, people can sometimes be afraid to offend established residents.

End of the day, Chicago is a city that caters to the midwestern mentality (beer and football rules all), even if a few neighborhoods don't follow this parallel. I'm sorry if that upsets some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago