Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 03:05 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,575 times

Advertisements

Some of these were covered, but...

The only "must" in Chicago for an out of towner is Dusty Groove. In the sense that its incredibly well curated and theres few if any record stores in the country (or world) that are as well executed for that particular niche (jazz/funk/soul/world/hip-hop). If you're into that stuff you could pick up 5 records at random and leave happy. The staff are also walking encyclopedias.

Reckless is basically the 800 lb gorilla in the room that tries to serve everyone. (i.e. lots of Pitchfork/indie bands, token but under-represented jazz and classical sections, etc). Probably still the best option as a one-stop shop (Lakeview location being biggest). Lots of stuff to dig through.

Permanent is kind of a more refined Reckless. Smaller space but ultimately easier to sort through stuff you'd actually buy. More of a slant towards psych and experimental. They also have a consistently great used selection thats less picked over than Reckless.

Laureis Planet of Sound is....eh. Skippable unless you like used 70s classic rock, in which case you would probably like it. Must of the stuff there I dont feel is worth owning though and theres a heavy bargain bin emphasis.

Reggies Music Joint in the south loop stocks all metal.

KStarke in Wicker Park leans towards house/dance

Jazz Record Mart. Huge place in river north. Self explanatory what you'll find there.

As mentioned above, Logan Hardware has a fun classic arcade in addition to the vinyl. They just moved into a new space and havent checked it out yet, but supposedly larger. Arcade access is free with purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 03:09 PM

123 posts, read 152,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Logan Hardware by Western/Fullerton. Come for the music, stay for the enormous free arcade.
I second this. I've been to all of Chicago's record stores and Logan Hardware is by far my favorite. Of course, it all depends on your taste in music.

Laurie's Planet of Sound is a waste of time.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,228 times
Thanks for all the advice everyone! It's all really helpful!

This has jumped out at me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
Reggies Music Joint in the south loop stocks all metal.
I like my metal :-)

Old 07-23-2013, 12:04 PM

29 posts, read 120,366 times
Like someone already said, Reckless Records in Wicker Park and Lakeview. There's another location downtown, but it's tiny.

Rolling Stone, which is next to the Hip mall, although it's Norridge.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:20 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan alan View Post
Laurie's Planet of Sound is a waste of time.
I've actually found some very rare or hard to find albums there. Depends on what you're looking for. Technically speaking, Gramaphone could be a waste of time too if you're looking for a bunch of classic rock albums.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:31 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
I second this. Rolling Stones is awesome.
It certainly has an "eye-catching" exterior appearance. I've always been curious, but haven't been in there. So they have a good vinyl selection?

Old 07-23-2013, 12:35 PM

123 posts, read 152,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I've actually found some very rare or hard to find albums there. Depends on what you're looking for. Technically speaking, Gramaphone could be a waste of time too if you're looking for a bunch of classic rock albums.
Good point. It really depends on the type of music you're into.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:35 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
I've found a few purchases at Val's Halla records in Oak Park, but the last few visits the selection seemed very "picked through". But it's getting harder out there for vinyl collectors, especially if you are picky about condition. It's competitive. I used to go to the "new arrivals" section at Reckless on most Mondays, and people were literally lined up to get a shot at them first.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:15 PM

337 posts, read 929,951 times
Has anyone visited the Music Direct showroom?:

Music Direct | Audiophile Hardware, Vinyl Records and Analog Gear | (800) 449-8333

Would appreciate any feedback or reviews.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:01 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,285 times
There's also a very nice record store on 53rd in Hyde Park. I was there a few weeks ago and watched a jazz harpist play for a little while. It was a nice way to kill some time, and it's also cool seeing the street blossoming into a propserous corridor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago