Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 08:12 AM
OHW OHW started this thread

102 posts, read 147,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
OHW, why do you keep trying to frame it so that it's not affordable to him? Why can't you say that it isn't the place you'd prefer to live? I really don't understand why the person who can't afford to live in the area is the biggest influence in the decision. Maybe it's time for him to learn what being an adult is like. His parents are enabling him, and it sounds like you might be, too.
No, I've already let him know that I don't want to live there. I just need some reasons to help support my case other than that I heard the nightlife was lackluster on a message board.

Ultimately I think the affordability factor will work. While my friend is concerned with status as I mentioned, he's not completely unreasonable as I may have accidentally implied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 08:22 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHW View Post
It seems like my best argument for staying out of the Loop is that it plain isn't affordable for him.
No, that's your second-best argument. Your best argument is that you don't want to live there, and while he needs your income (and/or his parents' money) to subsidize the lifestyle he desires, you don't need anything from him.

The real question is why you want to live with him instead of having your own place? I completely understand wanting to help a friend who needs a place to crash, but all you'd be doing here is helping him in his attempt to portray a false "status." Most people in Chicago are going to see right through that, anyway, and are more likely to respect him for living within his means and supporting himself rather than mooching off of his friend.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:23 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,598 times
Downtown doesn't mean higher status in Chicago necessarily. There are plenty of status neighborhoods outside of downtown.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:33 AM
OHW OHW started this thread

102 posts, read 147,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
No, that's your second-best argument. Your best argument is that you don't want to live there, and while he needs your income (and/or his parents' money) to subsidize the lifestyle he desires, you don't need anything from him.

The real question is why you want to live with him instead of having your own place? I completely understand wanting to help a friend who needs a place to crash, but all you'd be doing here is helping him in his attempt to portray a false "status." Most people in Chicago are going to see right through that, anyway, and are more likely to respect him for living within his means and supporting himself rather than mooching off of his friend.
I go crazy living alone and I'm probably too much of a tightwad to do so. Knowing myself, it'll eat at me thinking of the amount of money I could be saving by splitting rent, the electric bill, etc...

Old 07-22-2013, 08:46 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHW View Post
I go crazy living alone and I'm probably too much of a tightwad to do so. Knowing myself, it'll eat at me thinking of the amount of money I could be saving by splitting rent, the electric bill, etc...
Okay, but that only works if he really does pay for his half of everything on time, doesn't mooch off of you when you go out, etc. Otherwise you're not really saving money, especially when you factor in that the place you would live in on your own would likely be much cheaper than the place you would split with him.

You know him, so I suppose we should take your word for it, but that's not usually how it works when a higher-income self-described "tightwad" lives with a lower-income person who likes to portray a status beyond his means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago