Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 11:22 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,181,179 times

Advertisements

As Google moves in, West Loop rebounds from recession with explosion of new real estate developments and businesses | WBEZ 91.5 Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 11:31 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,971,395 times
I wish I could say I am eagerly waiting for the release of the first Motorola phone officially done completely under google ownership but the early buzz on this device is not encouraging. It is troubling becuase I really do thing that some folks from Rahm's adminstration are pinning a whole lot more hope on this move providing some kind of economic impetus for job growth than is warranted. The likley faceplant this flop will represent for the management team that google installed at Motorola could very well have a serious negative backlash on efforts to showcase this as some kind of Chicago talent-drive creation when the real decision makers are all the same ad side genuises with a smattering of military contract tainted disgraces...

Old 07-22-2013, 11:33 AM

4,620 posts, read 8,118,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I wish I could say I am eagerly waiting for the release of the first Motorola phone officially done completely under google ownership but the early buzz on this device is not encouraging. It is troubling becuase I really do thing that some folks from Rahm's adminstration are pinning a whole lot more hope on this move providing some kind of economic impetus for job growth than is warranted. The likley faceplant this flop will represent for the management team that google installed at Motorola could very well have a serious negative backlash on efforts to showcase this as some kind of Chicago talent-drive creation when the real decision makers are all the same ad side genuises with a smattering of military contract tainted disgraces...
Chet's moved from using "will" to using "could," so I think everything will be alright after all.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:58 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,492,854 times
Quote:
Just because you may not like it doesn't mean it's a flop.

You're overreacting over nothing, basically.

Also, Google is reportedly putting down $500 million in marketing for this device. That's unheard of for one device. I don't think it's going to flop at all... just look at all the marketing that's gone into the Samsung Galaxy series. Now imagine even bigger marketing for the Moto X.

At least wait until the phone comes out and the sales numbers come out after the phone has been released for about a financial quarter.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:01 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,181,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Chet's moved from using "will" to using "could," so I think everything will be alright after all.
That is an excellent observation and probably an accurate prediction.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:56 PM

Default Marketing dollars have little impact on customer acceptance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
Just because you may not like it doesn't mean it's a flop.

You're overreacting over nothing, basically.

Also, Google is reportedly putting down $500 million in marketing for this device. That's unheard of for one device. I don't think it's going to flop at all... just look at all the marketing that's gone into the Samsung Galaxy series. Now imagine even bigger marketing for the Moto X.

At least wait until the phone comes out and the sales numbers come out after the phone has been released for about a financial quarter.
As illustration:

Microsoft, which has had some success with HW like the XBox still seems prone to Zune like faceplants with other HW ventures, despite huge marketing budget -- Microsoft's Surface RT: Doomed from Day One or Millions spent marketing Windows Phone 'will make little impact in US' | Technology | guardian.co.uk

Heck even their SW marketing efforts are less than stellar currently, and the amount they spend is like comparing Moto X slingshot of $50M to Win8 thermonuclear bomb -- Microsoft Estimated to Spend $1.5 Billion on Windows 8 Marketing | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

The bigger issue is that once folks answer the Android vs iOS question is whether ANY sort of deviation from the "generic" experience of a Samsung device really warrants other makers from even trying anything different? In the case of LG their flops are pretty legendary: http://goo.gl/PTfjWc or http://goo.gl/78Infx or Androidgynous » Sprint opens up pre-orders for LG Viper, no one signs up Unlike kindergarten, when you get encouraged for trying, the real world of phone business is a brutally competitive place where continued failure threatens to put one out of business... Being part of the cheering crowd won't help make Moto profitable if the marketplace continues to reject its efforts.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:15 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,492,854 times
Quote:
As illustration:

Microsoft, which has had some success with HW like the XBox still seems prone to Zune like faceplants with other HW ventures, despite huge marketing budget -- Microsoft's Surface RT: Doomed from Day One or Millions spent marketing Windows Phone 'will make little impact in US' | Technology | guardian.co.uk

Heck even their SW marketing efforts are less than stellar currently, and the amount they spend is like comparing Moto X slingshot of $50M to Win8 thermonuclear bomb -- Microsoft Estimated to Spend $1.5 Billion on Windows 8 Marketing | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

The bigger issue is that once folks answer the Android vs iOS question is whether ANY sort of deviation from the "generic" experience of a Samsung device really warrants other makers from even trying anything different? In the case of LG their flops are pretty legendary: http://goo.gl/PTfjWc or http://goo.gl/78Infx or Androidgynous » Sprint opens up pre-orders for LG Viper, no one signs up Unlike kindergarten, when you get encouraged for trying, the real world of phone business is a brutally competitive place where continued failure threatens to put one out of business... Being part of the cheering crowd won't help make Moto profitable if the marketplace continues to reject its efforts.
Explain to me what you find to be so underwhelming about the Moto X. They said from the get-go that it was going to be a mid-range device. That's exactly what it looks like it's going to be from all the rumors shown regarding the specs.

Google already has their main line of phones with the Nexus series, I can understand why they're making a mid-range device with Motorola. Who knows, maybe in a year or two, they may move the Nexus series onto Motorola and have their engineers design the phone themselves instead of doing what they're doing now which is partnering up with other manufacturers.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:27 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,771,714 times
Chet is always doom and gloom about tech ****. It's always funny to hear what he says considering I work in the industry and do a lot of web/mobile and what I know to be true for a fact.

It's funny Microsoft is brought up when they aren't even in the top 2 for mobile. Also Surface is brought up...funny.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:54 PM

Laugh all you want. This is about spending and investment and (hopefully) return on those dollars.

Just like folks that understand the HUGE transfer of property tax revenue from CPS into TIFs that enriched connected developers while snuffing out hopes for a reveral in generations of underperfromance it is pretty clear that what google has done is effectively burn through a huge pile of money while wasting the productive resources of engineering talent from Motorola. The net result of this is to make the region less likely to ever have the kind of influence it once did in attracting those with skills to develop future telecommunications technologies.

While google's massive money pump driven by advertising won't really see this as more than blip the net effect for the region may very well be that any promise there was in true R&D driven investment fueling a real sustainable "silicon prairie" will be extinguished...

Old 07-22-2013, 01:57 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,771,714 times
I am laughing, because this is my industry and I have a pretty good idea of what's going on it. I don't really care that you worked with the guys who signed Dennis Ritchie's paychecks 30 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago