Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 02:44 PM

66 posts, read 103,989 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for the responses........

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
South Loop is OK. It's not the most boring place in Chicago, but it's not the most happening either. There are some nightlife places and a fair amount of restaurants, but it's not even in my top 5 I'd go to on purpose on a weekend to be honest with you. I'm personally not a big fan of SLoop.

What is your budget, and how old are you? What kind of "stuff" are you looking for in a neighborhood?
I currently live in a city where driving is the norm, so I've gotten so accustomed to traveling for my needs that this question never really occurred to me. I'd say grocery shopping, entertainment, and as a young and single guy, the nightlife. That's just off the top of my head though. I'm sure those will shift around a bit once I settle in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 02:45 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
What about an area like Wicker Park or Ukrainian Village type of area? On the Blue Line with a bit more nightlife..UK Village/East Village/Noble Square is cheaper than Wicker Park. Avondale is another one if you're on an even lower budget, though there's some nightlife going on,it's still a short ride to Logan Square and Wicker Park and on the blue line.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
South Loop is a newer construction and highrise type neighborhood. It's completely gentrified (compared to a lot of north neighborhoods that are "up and coming"), with a good mixture of families, students, yuppies, lgbt, medical professionals, etc.

Groceries:
All your main chains: Jewel-Osco, Dominicks, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Target all pretty much on Roosevelt Road. A new Costco also opened up which is more University Village but for some reason the store's official name/location is South Loop. There are tons of independent convenience stores as well. Lots of highrises will have one in their building or at least nearby.

Shopping:
Sloop is close in proximity to State Street shopping and Michigan Avenue, but also has some stores in the neighborhood as well (Target, DSW, Marshalls, Bed Bath Beyond, Home Depot, Best Buy). See also Roosevelt Collection.

Entertainment:
Show Place Icon - movie theater, Museum Campus (Adler Planetarium, Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium), Sports - Soldier Field (which also holds lots of concerts and music festivals), Grant Park - music festivals, movies in the park

Restaurants:
Everywhere, basically.

Nightlife:
Nothing compared to Lakeview/Wrigleyville, Wicker Park or Rush Street or other "bar neighborhoods". Some of the sports bars at Wabash and 14th attract a similar nightlife-kind of crowd, but not a hot spot. There are some smaller bars/taverns that stay open late too.

Public transportation:
You'll be off the Red Line with easy access to all other lines.

Hope this helps.
WOW! Awesome info, thanks!! I went to visit the school back in October, but my friends and I were so enamored with the city that we took the El all over the city to see it. Met some cool people who pointed us in the right direction and ended up in Wrigleyville, Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, Rush St, and near Chinatown. Somehow, we spent so much time exploring the city that we didn't explore my neighborhood! D'oh! But your post makes me feel better.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
What about an area like Wicker Park or Ukrainian Village type of area? On the Blue Line with a bit more nightlife..UK Village/East Village/Noble Square is cheaper than Wicker Park.
Well here's the thing. I'm moving to Chicago (Chi-town? Chi-city? Ehhh, Chicago lol) for grad school. I know no one there and have only visited once ever. So I chalked up my ego and signed up for grad housing. I'll stay there for a year until I know the city better and make some friends. Then I'll move into my own apartment. As much as I hate the idea, it seemed/seems like the smartest thing to do.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:26 PM

285 posts, read 385,997 times
For better or worse, the South Loop is nothing like Pittsburgh. I traveled to Pittsburgh weekly for almost two years. Loved it.

I'm sure within a year you will see various neighborhoods and be able to make a decision about whether or not you want to leave the South Loop. You'll be fine.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillers View Post
Well here's the thing. I'm moving to Chicago (Chi-town? Chi-city? Ehhh, Chicago lol) for grad school. I know no one there and have only visited once ever. So I chalked up my ego and signed up for grad housing. I'll stay there for a year until I know the city better and make some friends. Then I'll move into my own apartment. As much as I hate the idea, it seemed/seems like the smartest thing to do.
It happens, but tons of people move to Chicago without knowing anybody. I happen to be one of them..

Old 07-30-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prost View Post
For better or worse, the South Loop is nothing like Pittsburgh. I traveled to Pittsburgh weekly for almost two years. Loved it.

I'm sure within a year you will see various neighborhoods and be able to make a decision about whether or not you want to leave the South Loop. You'll be fine.
Yeah I love Pittsburgh, born and raised here. But I feel like I've outgrown it. I've heard people who've been to Chicago and compare it to Pittsburgh, though... Mainly because it's a "neighborhood city".

Old 07-30-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
It happens, but tons of people move to Chicago without knowing anybody. I happen to be one of them..
Nice! And you seem to have settled in well. I see your name around here lots.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillers View Post
Nice! And you seem to have settled in well. I see your name around here lots.
I have no life, jk. Yeah I mean it took a little bit to get a GOOD group of friends, but I've found a few now. My first 6-8 months were lonelier. I went out with people from work every weekend for awhile. I can make friends with anybody - that's easy, but I am picky about who remains my close friends, but it took less than a year to find some real good friends that I am still tight with to this day.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:52 PM

241 posts, read 465,605 times
Quote:
I have no life, jk. Yeah I mean it took a little bit to get a GOOD group of friends, but I've found a few now. My first 6-8 months were lonelier. I went out with people from work every weekend for awhile. I can make friends with anybody - that's easy, but I am picky about who remains my close friends, but it took less than a year to find some real good friends that I am still tight with to this day.
Glad to hear this. We talked about this briefly in a thread of mine (you may or may not remember) and I have the same ways about myself. I can make acquaintances or "group" friends like nothing ("group" friends being friends that I'd hang out with in a group but not close enough to grab a coffee alone with). But when it comes to close friends, that I life talk with and hang out with probably semi daily and every weekend, etc., it takes a while. I've kept with the same two circles, one of old neighborhood friends I've known since I was ten, and one circle of high school friends that I really became tight with in late school and college. It's hard to imagine ever having another tight knit circle like that in a whole new city, as an adult. But I guess people do it, right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago