Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 10:36 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times

Advertisements

Maybe this isn't just a Chicago thing but I've noticed straight women love hanging out with gay men. They even like to go to gay bars. The moment they find out I'm gay, a light goes on and they let their guard down and enjoy being around me. I don't mind the attention but wow! If straight men got the same attention, they would be in heaven.

What's up with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 10:43 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I think this pretty common in most urban areas. The gals on Sex & The City had their gay pals, it's a well known thing. Even in high school and such the straight girls in chorus and theatre clubs pal around the gay young men that share these interests. Heck on Project Runway the gay male contestest are always the "go to" pal for the straight girls when they do a team competition and get the biggest hugs when some one is cut.

Is suspect some gay man see this so often it is a stereotype that offends the but it seems to have a lot of basis in real life situations...

Old 08-04-2013, 10:46 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
They can clog up the friend zone which is a good thing.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:49 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times
Best looking women hang out at gay bars.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:49 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,413,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Maybe this isn't just a Chicago thing but I've noticed straight women love hanging out with gay men. They even like to go to gay bars. The moment they find out I'm gay, a light goes on and they let their guard down and enjoy being around me. I don't mind the attention but wow! If straight men got the same attention, they would be in heaven.

What's up with that?
What's up with that is that they know you won't be hitting on them all night, so they feel more immediately comfortable around you. It works the same way with married men and single women. They moment they find out you're happily married, you show them pictures of your kids, etc, they realize you're not trying to get into their pants and you're probably just out for a few drinks and some friendly banter with people in general.

On a related note, a close friend of mine from a former job is more or less your stereotypical Boys Town homosexual. A group of us would hit up the gay bars for his birthday every year. I don't consider myself to be a bad looking guy, but no one will confuse me for a model or anything like that. I would get hit on a lot...from the perspective of a straight guy in a bar at least. It got to the point where me and another of our friends just told everyone we were together. After doing this a couple times, it pretty much dawned on me that this must be what it's like to go out every night for an okay looking woman. If the experience was at all similar, I don't blame women at all for keeping their guards up at bars, even when a perfectly normal guy walks tries to chat them up.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:33 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post

What's up with that?
You are gay? I would have never thunk it. Seriously. Amazing when you live long enough you discover interesting things about each other.

As for me, my gay bff is and has treated me better than my now ex-husband. More respect totally for me and my kids. That says something.

When I started hanging in Lakeview, I went to the now gone Vortex, in the 1990's. They had a fun thing going on so I went. This was on a weeknight. They bartender who was participating in the fun event asked me to come back on Friday night, and from then on it was like a marriage made in heaven. From that point on, I started hanging with the people in Vortex, and then meeting a bff (not my current bff) and who showed me all the fun bars in the neightborhood, some of which are now closed.

So being with that whole crowd totally changed my life! In the greatest way possible. Thats part of why I love Lakeview and wish it would never change. You would have had to be with me in the 1990's to now to know why I feel this way about the neighborhood. And how it used to be,, and how it is now.. and how i never want it to change from the way I perceived it from the 1990's to now.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:28 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Because we can be ourselves just like we are with our girlfriends.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Because we can be ourselves just like we are with our girlfriends.
Good point. What kills me is when women want to take me with them to go shopping and get their nails done and when they find out they have to help me more then I help them is funny. I have no sense of fashion! Lol!

Old 08-05-2013, 07:49 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
I think some straight women treat their gay friends as mascots. I've never really cared for those kinds of women. Friends are friends.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
I think some straight women treat their gay friends as mascots. I've never really cared for those kinds of women. Friends are friends.
I see that a lot on the Northside.

Do you think it's trendy to have gay friends or some may think it shows them to be progressive or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago