Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 03:22 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I agree! I've not seen this much racial tension before. I've gotten use to some of the ism but some of it I refuse to accept.

I was taking a walk along the lakefront a couple of days ago. A young white woman took a look at me, showed fear in her face and turned around to avoid biking past me. Now, I know I'm not that hideous so it must have been my race that scared the crap out of her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 03:22 PM

125 posts, read 172,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
I spent the summer in Chicago two years ago, and was absolutely shocked by the black/white divide in the town (and fwiw I saw very few hispanics outside of work crews, too). Now, I come from a pretty diverse town in TX (one of the most diverse in the country, actually), but the degree of self-segregation I saw, and of "he's black so I must fear him" I saw from whites was both unexpected and honestly quite jolting.

Not intending to trash Chicago, as I quite enjoyed the place in general and it's got a lot going for it. But I would agree that it has significant race issues.
I recently moved here from Tampa and I can see how racism can be easily adopted by people who have lived here a long time. In my daily routine if I see a black person they are usually either asking me for money or bagging my groceries. I'm not joking, being a dick or exaggerating, it's a fact. I live in Gold Coast and work in Streeterville. For a white person who has lived here their entire life and has only had negative interactions with people from other races, it's probably not easy to always give the benefit of the doubt. I have spent some time in Atlanta too, which is really quite different and the affluent black population is huge. Cause and effect being that, I don't think that racism has led to segregation, I think segregation has led to racism. Nobody is keeping anyone from living in X neighborhood. I'm probably going to move to a predominately Mexican and or Polish neighborhood in a couple months. Gold Coast is overrated.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:27 PM

896 posts, read 1,399,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
I spent the summer in Chicago two years ago, and was absolutely shocked by the black/white divide in the town (and fwiw I saw very few hispanics outside of work crews, too). Now, I come from a pretty diverse town in TX (one of the most diverse in the country, actually), but the degree of self-segregation I saw, and of "he's black so I must fear him" I saw from whites was both unexpected and honestly quite jolting.

Not intending to trash Chicago, as I quite enjoyed the place in general and it's got a lot going for it. But I would agree that it has significant race issues.
It is because of cultural and socio-economic differences more so than race. If you go to a place like Minneapolis. The divide is not as great because a lot of the people are "culturally" alike and can relate to each other.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:30 PM

896 posts, read 1,399,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvernsey View Post
I recently moved here from Tampa and I can see how racism can be easily adopted by people who have lived here a long time. In my daily routine if I see a black person they are usually either asking me for money or bagging my groceries. I'm not joking, being a dick or exaggerating, it's a fact. I live in Gold Coast and work in Streeterville. For a white person who has lived here their entire life and has only had negative interactions with people from other races, it's probably not easy to always give the benefit of the doubt. I have spent some time in Atlanta too, which is really quite different and the affluent black population is huge. Cause and effect being that, I don't think that racism has led to segregation, I think segregation has led to racism. Nobody is keeping anyone from living in X neighborhood. I'm probably going to move to a predominately Mexican and or Polish neighborhood in a couple months. Gold Coast is overrated.

That's another problem with Chicago. Most of the black interactions are negative to the average white Chicagoian so it shapes their views. Even though I have had some horrible interactions with people of all races.

The suburbs tend to be more intergrated and have a different and more individual mix of African Americans.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:33 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,030 times
While Chicago is segregated, there are also plenty of neighborhoods that are pretty integrated:

West Town, Logan Square, Avondale, Irving Park, Mayfair, Albany Park, Edgewater, Rogers Park, Portage Park, North Park are all pretty diverse and integrated.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:05 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I was taking a walk along the lakefront a couple of days ago. A young white woman took a look at me, showed fear in her face and turned around to avoid biking past me. Now, I know I'm not that hideous so it must have been my race that scared the crap out of her.
I've always seen subtle type of racism. Some grab their purse and you may get a little more attention than the other people.

Minneapolis a long with other new cities don't have the opportunity to segregate and there tends to be less neighborhood pride.

In my experience most educated middle class Whites are accustomed to dealing with and in most cases living with Blacks. Chicago has proven to be different.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:18 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I've always seen subtle type of racism. Some grab their purse and you may get a little more attention than the other people.

Minneapolis a long with other new cities don't have the opportunity to segregate and there tends to be less neighborhood pride.

In my experience most educated middle class Whites are accustomed to dealing with and in most cases living with Blacks. Chicago has proven to be different.
I've seen them hold on tight to their purses when I walk by too. Sometimes it's funny but other times it's kind of irritating. The next time a white woman crosses the stret to avoid me I think I'll crosss the street to just to mess with her. lol

I think one of the problems with many Chicagoans is that they are just too close-minded. It's a lack of social sophistication and laziness when it comes to interacting with others who aren't of the same race or social standing. Not eveyone is like that but too many are, IMO.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:34 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
Quote:

It's a lack of social sophistication
you summed it up.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:37 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,205,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbacchus View Post
Everywhere I go, I see minorities. On public transportation, in stores, in bars, and in restaurants. Is it the housing? How is segregation in Chicago measured?
Segregation doesn't mean no Black people. It means Black people and White people don't live in the same places. As for "how" Chicago is one of the most segregated cities in the country (and the most segregated by some measures), that's a long and complex story, but it clearly is.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:56 PM

928 posts, read 1,712,484 times
Quote:
I've seen them hold on tight to their purses when I walk by too. Sometimes it's funny but other times it's kind of irritating. The next time a white woman crosses the stret to avoid me I think I'll crosss the street to just to mess with her. lol
Please do. I would love that.

And what bars and restaurants is the OP going to where there's all this racial harmony? I wanna go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago