Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 10:16 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times

Advertisements

I sounded like you were asking for more details about where the OP intends to leave the car, like an address. That seems like a foolish move if they are headed out of town and would likely clue-in every low life car thief to make an easy week's worth of headway before the OP could even make a police report...

I assume anyone with half a brain that does routinely leave their car parked on-street has some way on checking on it more than once a week.

Anyone that will be out of town for an extended period and can't rely on friends or family (or halfway decent neighbor watch types ...) to keep an eye out for the car ought to consider the remote / extended lots at the airport...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 10:23 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,464,397 times
Why on EARTH would you assume I'm asking the OP for an address??? Besides, I doubt criminals are reading CD waiting for carjacking opportunities. The people on this forum are funny.

When I first saw this topic, I thought the OP would be worrying about parking tickets. That's the FIRST thing that came to mind--not whether it's safe to leave your car in the South Loop (as if it's Englewood or Roseland). Seriously? lolllllll

Old 08-10-2013, 11:58 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,599,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I sounded like you were asking for more details about where the OP intends to leave the car, like an address.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:07 AM

Default Yeah, where would I get that idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Wait a minute. Are you worried about leaving your car in the South Loop for a week? I just want to be clear on location.
And the title of the thread already says "open air lot" so "clear of location" could very well mean address or closest intersection, which is nuts..

Old 08-11-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
And the title of the thread already says "open air lot" so "clear of location" could very well mean address or closest intersection, which is nuts..
Sure. You and I both know why you said that. It's baffling to question the safety of a cleared, parked car in the South Loop, so I wanted to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me. Wonder if this question would have been posted if the OP planned to leave the car on the Gold Coast. Probably not.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:54 AM

Default It absolutely would be the same.

My goodness you are really thick. I know EXACTLY what I posted and why I posted it. I suggested that even an enclosed garage in the South Loop makes more sense than an open air lot. Kids and bums do not wander into garages they way they can mess with cars is an open air lot late at night / on weekend.

If the OP was considering leaving their vehicle unattended on-street or an open air lot even in a very safe suburb I would have same concerns. Cars get vandalized/stolen from all kinds of places and it just makes a lot of sense to put it someplace where there are some provisions for extended parking. South Loop, Gold Coast, heck downtown Kenliworth are all places that folks generally park for business hours and then move the car daily. The airports or the remote / third party lots just make a lot more sense. Assuming it is a newer car the couple of bucks for some kind of approved parking is well worth it..

Quote:
Sure. You and I both know why you said that. It's baffling to question the safety of a cleared, parked car in the South Loop, so I wanted to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me. Wonder if this question would have been posted if the OP planned to leave the car on the Gold Coast. Probably not.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:55 AM

You just keep exposing yourself with each post lol.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:57 AM

Default Really?

Quote:
You just keep exposing yourself with each post lol.
Get a clue, I often recomend that folks looking for a more affordable spot for a condo / apartment that is convenient to park/libraries/museums/offices consider the advantages of South Loop.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:25 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,599,678 times
Quote:
My goodness you are really thick.
If only Chet had been looking in the mirror when he typed this, he'd at least have step 1 out of the way.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:42 PM

Default Got anything helpful to add to the discussion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
If only Chet had been looking in the mirror when he typed this, he'd at least have step 1 out of the way.
Here are some cheap options:

http://www.onestopparking.com/ord-ai...FbFDMgod2lEAKA

Midway Park Saver - 4607 W. 59th Street Chicago, IL 60629

Airport Parking Express at 4832 W. 47th St. - Chicago Parking

Here are some links to parking regulations:

City of Chicago :: FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) About Parking and Red-light Tickets and Other Parking Issues

City of Chicago :: Parking and Standing Violations

City of Chicago, Office of the City Clerk

Here are sites run just for dealing with parking in Chicago:

Parking Ticket 101- Know The Law! | theexpiredmeter.com

Chicago Parking Tickets | Fight And Avoid Them - Chicago Parking

I can tell you where to look too, pal...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago