Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 10:50 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I agree in general, but I think some parts of Logan Square are worse than they were 25 years ago,
Crime data certainly indicates otherwise. As the link in the OP of this thread shows, there are only a few places in the city as bad as they were then, let alone worse. Logan Square isn't one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 10:58 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Crime data certainly indicates otherwise. As the link in the OP of this thread shows, there are only a few places in the city as bad as they were then, let alone worse. Logan Square isn't one of them.
Right. This map shows changes in homicide rates from the 1990s to 2000s. Green is decline, red is increase. The darker the bigger decline/increase.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:05 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Right. This map shows changes in homicide rates from the 1990s to 2000s. Green is decline, red is increase. The darker the bigger decline/increase.
As I look at the dark green chunk of Rogers Park up top, I realize that I need to man up because I still get heebie jeebies up there.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:08 AM

285 posts, read 386,065 times
Meh, I still feel safest in Beverly and Mt. Greenwood, despite that they're red. I understand a low base can produce huge swings on a percentage basis.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
As I look at the dark green chunk of Rogers Park up top, I realize that I need to man up because I still get heebie jeebies up there.
Really other than the area around Juneway, I don't feel that about Rogers Park at all. I guess it had the largest drop of any Community Area in the City at 80% in that time period.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:50 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
You should take a look at the portion near Loyola's Lakeshore Campus sometime. The university is doing their best to beautify and gentrify the parts immediately around them.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prost View Post
Meh, I still feel safest in Beverly and Mt. Greenwood, despite that they're red. I understand a low base can produce huge swings on a percentage basis.
This map helps understand if an area is above or below average. Green being below. I actually find it hard to believe that this is right for Beverly or Mt. Greenwood now that I look at it. Beverly has had all of 3 homicides in the last 7 years, Mt. Greenwood has 0 in that time. Maybe I have to re read what this means....

Old 08-15-2013, 12:01 PM

158 posts, read 302,337 times
Mount Greenwood probably has more Cops and City Workers living there than any of Chicago's Community Areas. It's par with Edison Park, Norwood Park and Edgebrook in terms of safety.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:04 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
This map helps understand if an area is above or below average. Green being below. I actually find it hard to believe that this is right for Beverly or Mt. Greenwood now that I look at it. Beverly has had all of 3 homicides in the last 7 years, Mt. Greenwood has 0 in that time. Maybe I have to re read what this means....
It is probably because that doesn't appear to be only Beverly and Mt. Greenwood in that particular map. I believe those are police districts shown on these maps. Some districts are pretty large and won't tell the entire story about specific neighborhoods. Some neighborhoods will be pulled down by their neighbors while others will be pulled up.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:13 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
It is probably because that doesn't appear to be only Beverly and Mt. Greenwood in that particular map. I believe those are police districts shown on these maps. Some districts are pretty large and won't tell the entire story about specific neighborhoods. Some neighborhoods will be pulled down by their neighbors while others will be pulled up.
This. The police district containing Beverly and Mt. Greenwood appears to also contain Washington Heights, Morgan Park, and bits of Roseland and Auburn Gresham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago