Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 10:39 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,563,434 times

Advertisements

I checked out Chicago a few years ago for a year to see if I would love to come back there again, but the urban decay was just too much for me. Chicago is dirty, filthy and old, old, old. Just too much urban decay. TOO MUCH! And for all winter and most of fall, a good 6 months of GRAY, GRAY, GRAY! Boo!
Does anyone else find Chicago's urban decay depressing besides me? The people that live there (and haven't been anywhere else) don't seem to notice. But it gets to me. Am I alone here?
Chicago's people are great once you get to know them, very cosmopolitan/sophisticated, wonderful architecture, fantastic restaurants even on the cheap, lots to do and see...but that urban decay against 6 months of gray skies all the time was just too much for me.
Is it just me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 10:45 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Have you been to any other big cities in the world? The U.S. is a toddler comparatively. What about some of the really old European ones such as Venice or Paris? Things get old. Deal with it or live in the brand-new, freshly built, lacking in any kind of charm or architectural interest ex-urbs.

Yes, winter is gray, but what does that have to do with urban decay? i just think you're grumpy

Old 11-13-2007, 10:50 AM

101 posts, read 411,006 times
I'll have to concur with aragx6 in that if you think ANY U.S. city is bad in terms of urban or even moral decay, walk the streets of western Europe, you'll beg to be a part of Chicago again. Also, if anything, I think the gray weeks of winter complement the character of the city on the basis of comparison.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:51 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
6 months of gray? This aint Seattle, babe. We average 50% sunshine in the winter months, almost 70% in the summer months.

Sure there are old and decaying parts of Chicago, most cities DO have those areas. For its age, I think Chicago holds up well, most areas are well-kept and very clean, despite having old surroundings.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:52 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Where specifically did you notice the urban decay that bothered you? Much of the city is dingy and falling apart, but there are many neighborhoods that are very well-maintained and beautiful. And some of us find beauty in the historical patina that graces this city. I'm not from Chicago originally (although my mother is), and I find the city beautiful and endlessly fascinating. If I lived in a slum I would probably have a different attitude, though. Or if I was returning to an old neighborhood that has since declined...

Old 11-13-2007, 11:34 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Have you been to any other big cities in the world? The U.S. is a toddler comparatively. What about some of the really old European ones such as Venice or Paris? Things get old. Deal with it or live in the brand-new, freshly built, lacking in any kind of charm or architectural interest ex-urbs.
You took the words out of my mouth. Its funny, you ask someone in a U.S. city to name the oldest bar in their town...they'll inevitably drop the name of some place from the late 1800s/turn of the century. Go to a European city and ask the same question, and you will get a much different response . Hell, London has pubs that date to the 1400's. Think about it: the New World hadnt even been discovered yet! U.S cities are babies compared to the world stage. Age IMO is desirable...i find older cities much more interesting since they have had a chance to mature and develop character. and while i see what you mean about "decay", i actually like and prefer the gritty feel of inner cities. its the sterile environment of new suburbs which i find noxious. the thing which has to be maintained is infrastructure (bridges, roads, sewers), and unfortunately our country has swept that under the rug for a long time and its come back to bite us.

and to the OP, you call Chicago dirty...have you ever been to NY?

Last edited by via chicago; 11-13-2007 at 11:52 AM..

Old 11-13-2007, 12:21 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
TootsieWootsie - what is your basis of comparison here? I'm not arguing that there are some parts of the city that are in dire need of help, anyone who has been to the west-side of town could tell you that, but I'm honestly curious what cities you fell have it right as far as the 'decay factor' is concerned.

Oh, and you want to see some serious urban decay versus just an 'old city'? Visit Moscow, Russia sometime, I did in the early 90's, it was pretty eye-opening.

One 'old city' that I love, but would probably send TootsieWootsie over the edge was the old part of Edinburgh, Scotland where there are meandering alleys, ancient vaults and caves under peoples homes, old soot covered buildings, etc .... and I loved it.

There is a difference between 'urban decay' (the burnt out swaths of ghetto) and just an older city, much of Chicago I feel is just an older American city (not even the oldest by far), but some parts of the city are legitimately succumbing to 'urban decay' (e.g. parts of the west and south sides, the areas razed by 'urban renewal', etc), but it is by far only a part of the city, not the entire thing.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:30 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Oh, and you want to see some serious urban decay versus just an 'old city'? Visit Moscow, Russia sometime, I did in the early 90's, it was pretty eye-opening.
Although Ive never personally been to Russia, my grandparents have been. They brought back some video footage that was absolutely mind-boggling. Some parts of the city were so bad that I couldnt help but think that the poorest of the poor here on Chicago's west side have it "good"! Seriously, their videos of Moscow were sad and eye-opening at the same time. As I said earlier, for its age, Chicago is very clean and very well kept. Many areas are decrepit and crumbling, but overall I think Chicago is doing a great job.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:40 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,507,729 times
I have no idea in the world when that pic of NYC is from, but there is no WAY in hell Bloomberg would EVER let it get that bad. I can see that being in the 1980s when NY was a complete hell hole, but it is very clean now. As for Chicago, yes there are areas that need updating and to be cleaned up, but for the most part Chicago is very clean for it's sheer size. I have to give King Richard credit where it is due, and this is one area he has proven himself. Our downtown looks amazing, the streets are immaculate and even the areas around the downtown too now.

As for the weather I can see where the drury weather can get to folks as it is known to create sunlight deprevation in folks around here come Feb and March and you can totally tell in those months that folks around here have had it with winter as many become very edgy.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:29 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,563,434 times
Well, I am in the minority here, so I will concede.
However, FYI, I have been and lived in many countries (23 to be exact), so, yes! I have traveled heavily from Europe to North Africa to Mexico and Canada, of course.
Re the photo: That sure doesn't look like the backdrop of Sex and the City. I'd be curious to know when it was taken. An old friend of mine refuses to go back to NYC due to all the filth...but he lived there in the 70's. I heard Giuliani really cleaned it up, so this is an old photo maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago