Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 11:31 AM

4,620 posts, read 8,116,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It was infact a hyperbole, but the media when I grew up made it sound like Chicago had THE worst winters of any city (major or minor) in the entire country. All the time. Even when I told people from Chicago that I was moving there, from Minnesota, they would act as if their winters were worse and I was "in for it."

Yes, Chicago winters are cold, but it could be worse is the point and sometimes it's exaggerated by some media into making you believe the weather is actually worse off than it is. I tried to get my ex girlfriend, who is from Hawaii, to move here. I met her while in college in Iowa. She basically said she couldn't handle the cold. Then I showed her weather data between Chicago and this city in Iowa we both lived in, which is roughly the same winter weather, but Chicago gets less snow. She was shocked because she'd been made to believe that Chicago was much, much worse by the media.

I spent 2 1/2 years in Minneapolis and nothing about Chicago winters fazes me at all anymore. I tell people that Minnesota "innoculated" me against Chicago winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 12:14 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,560,460 times
yes it's cold here in the winter, yes the media hype makes it seem like North Dakota and yes it's getting warmer every year.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:47 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times
If this summer is any indication we're in for a hell of a cold winter this year.

(Unless your name is marothisu in which case we're in for a perfectly mild winter, never mind the frozen breath beads clinging to the fibers on your scarf and the snot-cicles forming in your nose.)

And I don't know anyone from Chicago who honestly believes our winters are worse than Minnesota. So yeah, I'm not buying that one. Even if it were true, surely you weren't thick enough to actually believe it.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:46 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,764,559 times
Doesn't matter to me if you "buy" it or not - it's an internet message board.

Some people from Chicago said it to me, but it's not like I believed it. However, if you are coming from outside of the region and don't know any better, then yes, you may believe it. I have friends here from warmer parts of the country (i.e. Florida and Southern California) who say the winters aren't as cold as they were made to believe. But yes, obviously still cold to them, just not severe frozen tundra "don't go outside or you may get frostbite" cold. I have a coworker who just moved here from Atlanta the other month who has never experienced snow before. He asked me about winter and thought it would be in the negative degrees every day. When I told him the average high is in the 20s or low-ish 30s in the winter (with colder days obviously, and the lows lower than that) he was a little relieved it wasn't negative every day. I also have another worker who just spent 20+ years in Indianapolis. On one of the cold days a few months ago, we were discussing winter and he thought the exact same thing as above and that Chicago was "much colder" in the winter than Indianapolis. When I told him that it's not much colder than Indy in the winter, he didn't believe me and just said "Dude, it's Chicago..it's way colder" even though he's never been to Chicago in the winter (only summer).

Last edited by marothisu; 08-28-2013 at 02:57 PM..

Old 08-28-2013, 03:00 PM

But you didn't come from outside the region. And you say it's not like you believed it, yet you also say "opinions of the winter beforehand are even worse than it actually is due to the bull**** that they're fed (I am guilty of being fed this too)." So either you swallowed what you were fed or you didn't. Probably depending on how to best position yourself when arguing about perceptions of Chicago winters.

I don't really care who told you what or whether you believed it or not or whether other places are colder or whether thousands of people move here from the hottest f&#king places on Earth and manage to survive -- winters are cold here, period.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:07 PM

It's one thing to be exposed to it, it's another to believe it. Just because you don't believe it doesn't mean some people try and say it and don't expose you it. This isn't about me - it's about people coming from outside of the region who don't know any better who are more apt to believing it.

I never said Chicago isn't cold. I said it's not as cold as some people (i.e. some media) make it out to be - the ones who say you can't go outside without getting frostbite type of crap. That's all. It's not that complicated to understand.

Think of it this way - it's similar to the people in the news making you believe that everywhere in Chicago is full of crime and dangerous. The same thing, although to a way minor degree, happens with winter weather here making you believe it's worse than it actually is. It doesn't mean it's not cold - it means that it's not in the negatives everyday like some think it is.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:17 PM

WTFever. Winters are cold here, period.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:20 PM

2,081 posts, read 3,555,082 times
I think Chicago gets undue attention for being a cold city (which might lead people to think it is colder than it is) simply because of its size. Other than Moscow, I don't think there is a city on the plant larger than Chicago that is also colder.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
WTFever. Winters are cold here, period.
I never said it wasn't cold. I said it's not as bad as some media makes it out to be. It's not that ****ing complicated.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:30 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,137,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
I think Chicago gets undue attention for being a cold city (which might lead people to think it is colder than it is) simply because of its size. Other than Moscow, I don't think there is a city on the plant larger than Chicago that is also colder.
Toronto, Montreal, I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago