Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 08:57 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,222,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Easy enough to say, but what would you propose as an alternative for low income people who need housing?
I didn't say to scrap the program. I just don't think you should start forcing it on neighborhoods or landlords.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 09:06 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
I didn't say to scrap the program. I just don't think you should start forcing it on neighborhoods or landlords.
Yep. Edited my post a few minutes before you quoted it, when I realized the misunderstanding.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:19 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,569,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
You asked for input. You got input. Now you're just being silly.
He didn't edit that post fast enough. lol

He's really just a typical, Chicago xenophobe. I ran into one today at work. She was talking about how she was afraid of black people, black neighborhoods, etc. Then she went on talking about people in her building that she thought were black because they had "big, black lips". I had to ask her to leave after about 10 minutes of listening to her crap. That's Chicago for ya.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:21 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,569,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Side Brandon View Post
Section 8 killed Chatham. It used to be a decent Middle Class Black Neighborhood but the underclass has taken over. Sadly this seems to happen too much as hard as Middle Class Blacks try to keep the Underclass out of their neighborhoods they get in eventually and bring the neighborhoods down.
There are a couple of section 8 renters in my building. They are both driving luxury cars while paying next to nothing in rent while working middling jobs. Funny stuff.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:32 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Landlords aren't "forced" to take section 8. They choose to take section 8 when its the best choice among all the available alternatives. .
Actually this is no longer correct, in Cook County anyway...

Fair Housing / Lending News: SECTION 8 IS NOW PROTECTED IN COOK COUNTY, ILLINOIS

And Chicago has protected Section 8 source of income for awhile now. I'm sort of leaning towards mjtinmemphis on this issue. I'd of course like to see the whole system reformed instead but, if we're going to force some people to take it, well, why shouldn't everyone take it? The County has already recognized this concept by providing a little more rental assistance for certain upscale areas but it's such a small bump that these communities will remain Section 8 free. It's nothing more than lip service to the inequitable distribution of the very poor.

As long as our policymakers and people of influence can isolate themselves from poverty, entitlement programs will continue as-is, and communities like Chatham will continue to get the shaft.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:41 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,285 times
North Side Brandon is really annoying in every thread.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:44 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
North Side Brandon is really annoying in every thread.
I have been thinking this since he appeared. Glad you typed it.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:45 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
chatham = new deli now huh??

I thought they lived in bungalows not huts...

Old 08-23-2013, 04:03 PM

158 posts, read 302,190 times
Hey sorry if my views bother you but I have a right to have them lol!

Old 08-23-2013, 06:20 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
I'm definitely a little narrow minded about her getting harassed by residents or being unable to drive past kids obstructing traffic. If that happens, yeah, it would be upsetting for both of us. And yes she's driving and won't likely be strolling around the blocks during her lunch break, but it's a neighborhood I know very little about beyond what I've read (none of which was reassuring), hence my posting in the first place.
I'm a Black woman and when I ventured to the NORTH side I was harassed by [who I presumed] residents of the North side-white men.

Unfortunately one of the things that comes with being a woman in our society is that you experience street harassment. In my case, the most common thing I hear is, "Hey pretty girl" or "Hey pretty lady" and that's about it. It's been my experience that most Black men don't really go out of their way to harass white women. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but here in racially segregated Chicago? Eh.

I used to spend some time in Chatham and I didn't fear for my life or my safety. Of course I'm a naive woman who grew up in the South, and I have since learned to become more aware of my surroundings while in Chicago. As many people have already said, she'll be fine.

A lot of crime tends to happen between people who know one another and most crime is intra-racial. I take it you're white, OP, and so is your girlfriend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago