Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 12:18 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,297 times

Advertisements

Normally I would agree that the BAC isn't relevent, but a .46 is insane. Most people have trouble walking at a .25, are unconscious with bladder failure at .35, and can have respiratory failure at .40. It takes something like 25 drinks in 4 hours to get a BAC that high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 12:21 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
The man was drunk enough to kill himself. At 1:30 PM.

Blood alcohol content - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yeah, that's crazy drunk, which makes you wonder why a beating was even necessary? The attacker could have easily taken the stuff and just ran off. The victim was not going to give chase being that drunk and even if he did, he wouldn't be moving very quick...

Old 08-26-2013, 12:34 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I don't know what to say.

Was there an altercation before the victim got beat? I know the blood alcohol level was above the legal driving limits. What does that have to do with it. There is more to the story. I will reserve opining for after I get the details if I ever will.
Yup, I also wondered with the BAL had to do with it. I also note, as has become the unfortunate norm with the Tribune in particular, is that there is no meaningful description of the attacker. I'm sure people will speculate why that is but, whatever the reason, it's inexcusable to withhold details like that when there's someone who beats people with 2x4s on the loose.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:48 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Yup, I also wondered with the BAL had to do with it. I also note, as has become the unfortunate norm with the Tribune in particular, is that there is no meaningful description of the attacker. I'm sure people will speculate why that is but, whatever the reason, it's inexcusable to withhold details like that when there's someone who beats people with 2x4s on the loose.
Age, height and weight. What else do you think we should know? What he wore? What race he was? His hairstyle? Would that be meaningful? No, it would still mean nothing when there are 100,000 people fitting that description in the city.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:02 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Age, height and weight. What else do you think we should know? What he wore? What race he was? His hairstyle? Would that be meaningful? No, it would still mean nothing when there are 100,000 people fitting that description in the city.
Then why bother with descriptions at all?

I get the implied message of BRU67's question, namely the Trib doesn't want to ruffle racial feathers by identifying the race of the perp. But that notion is quickly dispelled when you look directly to the right of these web page stories and find the Mook Gallery, aka "Mugs in the News," showing literally dozens of racial minorities along with persons of pallor. So I don't think they care all that much about racial oversensitivity.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:15 PM

102 posts, read 132,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I see.

I noticed when some are intoxicated they do run off at the mouth. I've seen it happen all the time.

I would like to purpose that we make Chicago dry. We will see how well the city functions.
Tried that in the 30's didn't work out too well.....

Old 08-26-2013, 02:32 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

I get the implied message of BRU67's question, namely the Trib doesn't want to ruffle racial feathers by identifying the race of the perp. But that notion is quickly dispelled when you look directly to the right of these web page stories and find the Mook Gallery, aka "Mugs in the News," showing literally dozens of racial minorities along with persons of pallor. So I don't think they care all that much about racial oversensitivity.
Exactly.

People also need to remember that police aren't going to release a detailed description unless they are looking for the public's help in locating someone. They very rarely ask for that because it usually just results in hundreds of phone calls and leads that are absolute garbage.

In this case I bet they have a good idea who did it, or have enough information to figure it out.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:50 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Exactly.

People also need to remember that police aren't going to release a detailed description unless they are looking for the public's help in locating someone. They very rarely ask for that because it usually just results in hundreds of phone calls and leads that are absolute garbage.

In this case I bet they have a good idea who did it, or have enough information to figure it out.
I concur with Drover then, why publish a description at all? In any event, it is what it is. To get back to the topic at hand (no pun intended), a definite shame. I cannot imagine why someone would smash down someone that drunk as a pure random act, especially in broad daylight. You have to think they knew each other, or something.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:17 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

We now have a new euphemism for white guys: "persons of pallor"

You read it here first

Old 08-26-2013, 05:10 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
We now have a new euphemism for white guys: "persons of pallor"

You read it here first
Yeah, but be careful not to call them "pallored people".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago