Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 07:48 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times

Advertisements

My son is in a new school this fall because his old school was on the closing list. Today when I dropped him off I crossed a very busy street. This secure crosswalk had lights and a crossing guard. So the kids and their parents could safety cross. Further down on the same busy street, right outside the school, is another crosswalk. It is clearly marked with bright white lines and it also have a large yellow sign that indicate that it is a cross walk. School crossing even. After I dropped my son off I attempted to cross this " so called crosswalk" . But apparently me and the other parents and children attempting to cross are the only once believing this to be a crosswalk.
Not a single driver attempted to stop. Non! I was half way out in the street and nothing. I had to back up on the sidewalk again in order not to be run over. To make things even worse, nobody cares about the school zone speed limit.
It's all kind of ironic because all this talk about safe passage to school, our kids will be safe bla bla bla, and this maps to direct our kids safety to school, and you can't even provide a secure and safe cross walk right outside the school itself. This is a large school with kids coming from all directions. You have only 1 secure crossing and that particular crossing also have a traffic light. This is the only cross walk you choose to put a school crossing guard! Really!
I have never seen anything like it. Is this a city thing? It seems like everywhere else I lived school zones have always been highly respected. The only cops I see outside the school is the once ticketing people parked illegally.

I'd like to bring this up to someone who can make some changes. Who do I contact?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 08:00 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
contact the school's principal.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:01 AM

Ok, I was thinking that but wasn't sure that was the right place to go. Thanks.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:14 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Where are Rahm's cameras? He could be raking in the dough for such flagrant disregard of designated crosswalk.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:16 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,838 times
Alderman & the Principal.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:53 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Many drivers are still completely unaware that they are required to yield the right of way to pedestrians at crosswalks (driving straight through on a green light being the exception). Even for those who are aware, pedestrians often don't make their intentions clear. Worse still is that many crosswalks are poorly marked, though I've noticed the city is getting better about clearly marking them.

I've found the only way to get drivers to respect crosswalks and pedestrian right-of-way is to basically play "ghetto chicken" where you just walk right out in traffic and dare them to hit you. Obviously the OP probably wouldn't want to gamble with her kid's safety like that. I've also given a small amount of thought to how to fashion together a portable/collapsable "STOP" sign like crossing guards use, maybe make one like one of those paper fans that opens up 360 degrees, only instead of a dainty floral pattern it opens up to a big red "STOP".

Old 08-28-2013, 06:28 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I have found that you need to be creative.

Do something to break the mold.

Try stuffing a pair of pants with rags and then putting shoes on the ends, tossing that setup in a pram and then heading out into the cross walk. Should get folks to notice, don't you think? --

Old 08-28-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Many drivers are still completely unaware that they are required to yield the right of way to pedestrians at crosswalks (driving straight through on a green light being the exception). Even for those who are aware, pedestrians often don't make their intentions clear. Worse still is that many crosswalks are poorly marked, though I've noticed the city is getting better about clearly marking them.

I've found the only way to get drivers to respect crosswalks and pedestrian right-of-way is to basically play "ghetto chicken" where you just walk right out in traffic and dare them to hit you. Obviously the OP probably wouldn't want to gamble with her kid's safety like that. I've also given a small amount of thought to how to fashion together a portable/collapsable "STOP" sign like crossing guards use, maybe make one like one of those paper fans that opens up 360 degrees, only instead of a dainty floral pattern it opens up to a big red "STOP".

Sounds like a great Idea Drover

Old 08-28-2013, 09:08 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
In the town of St. Augustine Beach the heavily used crosswalks across the heavily used beach road have small red flags available at the crosswalks. You wave the flag to attract attention and thus slow or stop the cars (the cars DO slow as the flags imply official recognition of the pedestrian's right of way) walk across and place the flags in the container provided on the other side. Good idea.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:13 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
In the town of St. Augustine Beach the heavily used crosswalks across the heavily used beach road have small red flags available at the crosswalks. You wave the flag to attract attention and slow or stop the cars (the cars DO slow as the flags imply official recognition of the pedestrian's right of way) walk across and place the flags in the container provided on the other side. Good idea.
A good idea if you live in a city with a civilized population.

They had some of those on Elston at Grace, a pedestrian crossing that sees a lot of use when there's a show at the Abbey. They lasted about 4 to 5 days before the flags were all gone, and maybe about another week before the containers holding the flags were torn off the lamp posts they were mounted to. I'm surprised it took vandals that long to get the containers off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: