Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 09:49 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
While I agree that it is a neighborhood to watch, I think it is going to be a bit longer than 5 years before it will be considered a hot neighborhood.
You may be right. There has to be retail. I know nightlife may be coming over the next few years. It will never be a hipster haven or a Lincoln Park type area and I don't think it should try to be. I do believe it will be great again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 10:06 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
You may be right. There has to be retail. I know nightlife may be coming over the next few years. It will never be a hipster haven or a Lincoln Park type area and I don't think it should try to be. I do believe it will be great again.
I think the legacy of the housing projects is slowly being removed from the neighborhood. Bronzeville had WAAAY too many housing projects that pretty much destroyed most of the neighborhood.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:39 AM

90 posts, read 101,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
I think the legacy of the housing projects is slowly being removed from the neighborhood. Bronzeville had WAAAY too many housing projects that pretty much destroyed most of the neighborhood.
Is it safe to travel through Bronzeville during the day on the weekend? I am not asking as a scared little rabbit but I do know that there are still some stuff happening over there and I have gone as far as 31st and State.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:52 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i love living foods View Post
Is it safe to travel through Bronzeville during the day on the weekend? I am not asking as a scared little rabbit but I do know that there are still some stuff happening over there and I have gone as far as 31st and State.
Are we talking about walking around or driving through? Driving through you'd be perfectly safe. If we are talking about walking around, I'd say stick to north of 35th except for the remaining housing projects along State.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:46 AM

158 posts, read 302,304 times
My favorites are Edison Park, Mount Greenwood, Belmont Heights, Belmont Terrace Norwood Park, Edgebrook, Logan Square, Avondale and Old Irving. I love the ethnic Catholic makeup of the far Northwest Side and the far Southwest Side. We ethnic Catholics were majority in Chicago before 1960 those of us of Irish, Polish, German and Italian blood. I love Old Irving because of it's lovely homes. I love Logan Square and Avondale because of my Father's side of the family and it's long history in those areas. I spent my earliest years there too. I also like the direction of those neighborhoods. They have alot going for them.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:43 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Side Brandon View Post
My favorites are Edison Park, Mount Greenwood, Belmont Heights, Belmont Terrace Norwood Park, Edgebrook, Logan Square, Avondale and Old Irving. I love the ethnic Catholic makeup of the far Northwest Side and the far Southwest Side. We ethnic Catholics were majority in Chicago before 1960 those of us of Irish, Polish, German and Italian blood.
I grew up on the West Side in the 50s and 60s and didn't meet a Protestant until I was about 18 years old. Oh, besides Catholics we had plenty of Jews and Greeks but Prods were strange creatures rumored to exist north of North Ave. and in Oak Park. Even to this day I've had few Protestant friends, I just don't run into the buggers.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:40 PM

928 posts, read 1,713,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post

You got me with the swirling. Is the rum at least in a nice glass?
I imbibe only from the finest dollar store drinkware.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:44 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
I imbibe only from the finest dollar store drinkware.
I guess that will do.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:59 PM

158 posts, read 302,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I grew up on the West Side in the 50s and 60s and didn't meet a Protestant until I was about 18 years old. Oh, besides Catholics we had plenty of Jews and Greeks but Prods were strange creatures rumored to exist north of North Ave. and in Oak Park. Even to this day I've had few Protestant friends, I just don't run into the buggers.
In East Garfield Park it was the same deal. My Great Aunt is half Irish half Bavarian and my Great Uncle is all Irish. My Great Uncle grewup at Our Lady Of Sorrows and my Great Aunt and my late Grandmother and their three other siblings at Precious Blood Western and Congress. Their neighborhood was 75% Italian and Irish with decent sized Jewish and Greek populations mixed in too. East Garfield, Near West Side West Garfield, West Humboldt Park and Austin were very similar neighborhoods. West Humboldt Park had the most Poles of any of those neighborhoods while West Garfield Park was the most Irish. Austin was almost an even balance between Irish and Italian. St. Thomas Aquinas, and St. Lucy's were Irish heavy while St. Peter Canisius was mostly Italian and Our Lady of Help of Christians and St. Angela's were split right down the middle.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:28 PM

19 posts, read 28,460 times
South Loop, like 500-800 S Dearborn w/ the old bldgs and small retail, plus the best blues club and the best jazz club are in that area. The neon sign from that Plymouth Court bar/ restaurant is really cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago