Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 12:48 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,423,753 times

Advertisements

I prefer Deep Dish to thin crust.
Favorite pizza places

#1 Pequods (deep dish and my favorite pizza)

#2-sofar, Giordanos

Lou Malnati's is alright. I can definitely eat it. And Connie's is alright too.

My other favorite places are
Damenzos on Taylor (thin crust)
Bacci (5 dollar jumbo slice with coke! I think it's thin crust)
Villa Palermo on west Devon (Calzone and free pepsi!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 06:51 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
I prefer Deep Dish to thin crust.
Favorite pizza places

#1 Pequods (deep dish and my favorite pizza)
I never went to Pequod's and intended to before leaving town but forgot. Anyway, I'm getting better pizza and sub sandwiches down here than I was in Chicago, that's a surprise, many good Italian joints around here; people from Philly, New Jersey and New York.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:59 AM

216 posts, read 313,965 times
Chicago has many delicious signature foods that I would be happy to consume to the point of morbid obesity (Italian beef sandwiches for example), but Chicago-style pizza has never been my favorite, whether thin crust or deep dish. I think it's cause Chicago pizzas are made with short crusts, with added fat. This makes them more pastry or cake-like. I like pizza crust to be essentially bread, just flour, yeast, water and salt.

A Chicago thin crust sausage pie with plenty of cornmeal on the bottom is fine eating, but it's never gonna be my favorite.

I'd better say no more. My office is full of native suburban Malnati's partisans so I'm behind enemy lines over here.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:15 AM

591 posts, read 926,172 times
In Chicago, deep dish. And i'd probably go for deep dish at any time, but i did have a beautiful thin crust for $1 in New York

Old 12-27-2013, 01:28 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
My favorite local pizza by far is Dante's Pizza (They make a mean thin crust, which is my preference)
If I'm in the mood for a thicker, cheesier pizza, I go for Roots. Neither of these is a classic "Chicago Style", they just happen to be my favorites in Chicago. There are still a lot of highly recommended joints I want to check out (Like Pequod's for instance) but I'm out of their delivery area and/or they're in neighborhoods I don't find myself in very often.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:19 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I never went to Pequod's and intended to before leaving town but forgot. Anyway, I'm getting better pizza and sub sandwiches down here than I was in Chicago, that's a surprise, many good Italian joints around here; people from Philly, New Jersey and New York.
You blasphemer! It is sacrilege to say anybody else has better pizza! Although I had a REALLY good thin crust pizza in Burlington VT last week
And thin vs. Thick?! I say BOTH; yes I love BOTH.. Breaking this down to either or is as crazy as saying one needs to be a Cubs fan OR Sox Fan
Oh and send us some warm weather & Sunshine

Old 12-27-2013, 06:34 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Sorry if I already answered, but Lou's is the best. Time for another Manhattan, cheers. ..

Old 12-29-2013, 07:56 PM

473 posts, read 760,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
If I'm in the mood for a thicker, cheesier pizza, I go for Roots. Neither of these is a classic "Chicago Style", they just happen to be my favorites in Chicago.
Roots is actually Quad-Cities style pizza, where the pizza is cut into strips. Roots is the only place outside of the QC where I get taco pizza. No one else comes close.

One of the best thin crust pizzas is Marie's. The pizza along with the '70's ambience is an experience.

I agree with all who recommended Pequod's and LouMalnati's.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:04 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Lou Malnati's had downtown joints and IMO their Chicago thin is very good.
Tom, Lou's thin always amazes me. How the king of deep dish was able to come up with a thin pizza that is not only delicious but also unique (I've never tasted anything like it) is an amazing feat, especially in light of our expectations that a thin pizza here would be an after thought.

nobody…NOBODY!!!…..can offer the 1-2 punch that Lou's can!

Last edited by edsg25; 12-30-2013 at 06:18 AM..

Old 12-30-2013, 06:06 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
I tried Marie's when I moved to pizza desert (and beef desert) Lincoln Square, I thought it was a greasy mess. I'm talking a basic cheese and sausage. After several misfires with local pizza joints I tried Jimmy's New York style at Lincoln and Foster and stuck with it; that place is good.

Anyway, Jimmy's prepared me for my move down here and the several excellent East Coast style pizza joints I've found here. I found better pizza in St. Augustine than in my North Side neighborhood, A happy discovery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago