Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 12:51 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
No one mentions the west loop / meat packing district? Down Lake Street from Halsted til about Ashland? I used to go to warehouse parties all the time and the local residents always complained.
I assumed he was looking for something more run-down or abandoned, not right in the middle of such a gentrified neighborhood.

Quote:
Sketchy enough to party is usually sketchy enough for a murder.
Hence all the murders at Wrigleyville and Milwaukee/Damen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 04:35 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat_man View Post
Does anyone have any idea which police precinct would cover this area? Finding that information has proved harder than I thought.
I think it's the 12th distrcit, beat 1214.

" + theTitle + "

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
I assumed he was looking for something more run-down or abandoned, not right in the middle of such a gentrified neighborhood.
Yeah, but he also didn't want something way out in the middle of abandned nowhere on the southside. Otherwise, there's more run-down places, but not really near the city center or any residences.

Quote:
Hence all the murders at Wrigleyville and Milwaukee/Damen?
I'm currently talking to Chet about property valuations in DuPage county..

Old 09-15-2013, 08:40 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
check these out on Google maps just to be sure before you galavant over there -

Division & Clybourn.
Wabash, south of 8th street to maybe Roosevelt.
Pullman area (115th and Michigan).. if you check the old Pullman area.
Bridgeport
area near Chinatown on Cermak
Suburbs - 25th St in Broadview, lots of warehousy area.

Did you check that area by Calumet Fisheries?

Old 09-15-2013, 11:43 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Definition of abandoned (adj)
Bing Dictionary
a·ban·doned*[*ə bándənd*]***
empty:*left empty because of not being used or lived in anymore
alone:*left alone without being cared for or supported
unrestrained:*without restraint or self-control
Synonyms:*discarded, forsaken, derelict, vacant, dumped, neglected, cast off, empty

Hard to see how that applies to densely populated parts of Chicago...

Of course it is also hard to understand why the OP would try to write a short story about a part of Chicago they clearly do not have experience with, involving an extremely unlikely scenario, and rely on an online forum to "up the authenticism" of such a story...

Old 09-16-2013, 06:23 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,153 times
Quote:
Yeah, but he also didn't want something way out in the middle of abandned nowhere on the southside.
A few examples were given of places that are neither.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:19 AM

42 posts, read 129,614 times
Again, I thank everyone that has offered advice and information. I usually just lurk this site for insight but this one was a surprise deadline as another author had health issues and wasn't able to finish by deadline and I was helping out with a story I had started and never finished.

Now then.....Specifically directed at chet everett. I'm sure it is hard for you to understand the reasons for my inquiry, so let me shed some light for you. You are correct that I have no experience with neighborhoods of this type. There is a very specific reason for this. My wheelchair doesn't do well in most of them. It's really hard to find a "rundown" neighborhood that is ADA compliant with wheelchair ramps at the corners and handicapped parking spaces. Let alone the chances of having to outrun a mugger/attacker/gang member/etc., on battery power. My legs don't work at all and I have limited use of my arms. My mind, though, is quite active making my part time job as an author a pretty damn good fit.

As for the "unlikely scenario" angle....maybe you don't read much. (See I can make assumptions too) Pick up a book by authors like Jeffrey Deaver or Patricia Cornwell and see how "likely" those story lines seem. The movie The Bone Collector (Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie) was based on the book by Deaver. How "likely" are those death scenarios? Hell, one victim is chained in front of a steam line and "steamed" to death. If you want really "unlikely" you don't have to look much farther than Stephen King. Yes, I know these are novel writers, but if you know anything about authors like King, you will know that they write more short stories than novels. Pick up one of King's books of short stories like "Everything's Eventual". These are the size stories I write. Sometimes it is "unlikely"....that's why they call it fiction.

As for "upping the authenticity", if you read most fiction you will see that many aspects of stories and novels have authentic attributes to them. It is a way the author makes the story seem more believable. Most good authors write about what they know, and when they have exhausted that, research what they don't know and keep writing. Unfortunately, I have neither the wherewithal (use your Bing dictionary to look that one up if you don't know the meaning) nor the ability to travel to do research so I have to use what I do have. That being the Internet and its' many forums, Google Maps and Earth, and image searches. And an audio to digital typing program for when my hands and fingers are tired, but my mind isn't.

There. Hopefully I have enlightened you, chet, as to why I asked the question directly instead of lurking to find what I needed. The next time a question is posted and you can't understand why it's being asked maybe this will help.....it's being asked because the "asker" doesn't know the information and is wanting help in finding out the answer. Nothing more, nothing less. If you can't answer the question in a positive and constructive way, then don't answer at all.

To everyone else, my thanks for helping me finish a story I pulled out of the archives and making my deadline. It is really appreciated.

Last edited by hat_man; 09-29-2013 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: stupid audio program

Old 09-29-2013, 11:50 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,394,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Suburbs - 25th St in Broadview, lots of warehousy area.
Most of those are in use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra<3 View Post
Washington Heights, Roseland, and the Pullman area. Specifically the area around 119th and Halsted. Also, 127th east of Halsted.
There isn't abandoned warehouses on 119th and Halsted or 127th east of Halsted.

103rd and Harlem in Palos Hills has a huge abandoned warehouse and there are a few near Bedford Park off of 73rd and 65th streets between Harlem and Cicero. There are also some near 47th and Kostner, but most of them are still in use
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago