Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 04:39 PM

29,500 posts, read 19,600,372 times

Advertisements

I'm a high school history teacher in the south suburbs... No, I would not encourage you to look for a position in CPS. They are a mess. My cousin and cousin in law both work for CPS. Outside Chicago throughout the suburbs, jobs are hard to come by. Once a teacher attains tenure they seldom leave until they retire. We had an English teacher retire last year and within one week 700 applicants applied for his position. Unfortunately Illinois is a mess. The two bills in the state legislature are asking for teachers to contribute more towards teacher retirement system (going up from 9% to 11%), as the pension liabilities are underfunded because the state has not paid their contribution for years. You're better off looking in Indiana if you want to stay close to Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 04:46 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,461,611 times
The massive CPS school closures was done for many reasons, one being a way to get rid of tenured teachers (they have the highest salaries). I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem finding a job at a charter school (and many will be opening, despite the City saying the closures were, in part, due to "underutilization"). I don't know your experience level, but they want young, inexperienced teachers so they can pay them less. I wouldn't try to get a job as a teacher in IL.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:59 PM

29,500 posts, read 19,600,372 times
Once a teacher's rife'd (Reduction in force) the new law PERA, which came into effect 2 years ago, states that school districts would be hired back teachers first based by evaluation scores, then their level of seniority. Prior it was only on seniority basis. So many of those tenured teachers who were at the schools that closed, did end up going to other schools within CPS, and taking jobs away from less senior teachers.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:57 PM

10 posts, read 10,557 times
Thank you for all of the information! It is good to know. It seems as though if I find a job in the system, it will be fine. It is just the "finding a job" part that will be extremely difficult. There is a rumor that we might get a raise this year and that might change my decision as to whether I move or not. I am sure if we do get a raise (and that's a big IF), it will be one-time thing to shut us up. However, it just does not seem that the teaching atmosphere is that great anywhere. Everywhere I look, districts are having a lot of turmoil and there is high competition for jobs. Of course, I would never move unless I had a job secured. The extreme conditions in NC sparked my interest to look for a job elsewhere but now that I am actually looking, I really do want to move somewhere else. A fun, new city. I would love to live somewhere where I can walk everywhere and use public transit. It seems that these are both great things about Chicago. I am just trying to determine if the teaching situation is worth it or if the teaching situation is just as bad as NC's. You all have helped a lot.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:25 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmreichelt View Post
Thank you for all of the information! It is good to know. It seems as though if I find a job in the system, it will be fine. It is just the "finding a job" part that will be extremely difficult. There is a rumor that we might get a raise this year and that might change my decision as to whether I move or not. I am sure if we do get a raise (and that's a big IF), it will be one-time thing to shut us up. However, it just does not seem that the teaching atmosphere is that great anywhere. Everywhere I look, districts are having a lot of turmoil and there is high competition for jobs. Of course, I would never move unless I had a job secured. The extreme conditions in NC sparked my interest to look for a job elsewhere but now that I am actually looking, I really do want to move somewhere else. A fun, new city. I would love to live somewhere where I can walk everywhere and use public transit. It seems that these are both great things about Chicago. I am just trying to determine if the teaching situation is worth it or if the teaching situation is just as bad as NC's. You all have helped a lot.
My reservation is based on your desire to eventually return to NC after a few years ( or more) of teaching in Chicago, until North Carolina cleans up its act; if you really would like to try another city, then go ahead, but if you're just "killing time" until it's time to return, I wouldn't bother...

Old 09-24-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
My reservation is based on your desire to eventually return to NC after a few years ( or more) of teaching in Chicago, until North Carolina cleans up its act; if you really would like to try another city, then go ahead, but if you're just "killing time" until it's time to return, I wouldn't bother...
I realize now that my post did come off like that. I am looking to move permanently. My whole family lives in NC and so it would be nice if I could make it back to NC some day but it is not my plan to return. If I move to Chicago, I would like to live in the city for a few years. Eventually, when I am ready to settle down, I will move somewhere else. Whether that is the suburbs of Chicago or a different city, I am not sure.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:40 PM

80 posts, read 102,855 times
I was in a similar situation as you. I was a teacher in FL for years making in the $30s. I just moved to Chicago to get away from FL and explore a city for a couple of years. When people say it's difficult to get a job at CPS, trust them. I know teachers are having difficulty everywhere ... but this is among the worst places in the nation right now to actually get a job. Chances are if you DO get a job at CPS, it will be at a very, very rough school. Some people love this because you are making a large impact. However, make sure you're prepared for the teaching environment.

I am very lucky that I did get a job. I work for the best charter school in Chicago (tried hundreds of CPS schools, but no dice). I teach on the West side and I cried every day for months. I dread going to work each morning and I fantasize about quitting daily. (Previous to this, I was a teacher for years in FL and never cried once and LOVED my job.) Feel free to message me if you want any more details. I don't want to discourage you -- just giving you one teacher's perspective.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:07 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Believe it fully...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjttt View Post
I was in a similar situation as you. I was a teacher in FL for years making in the $30s. I just moved to Chicago to get away from FL and explore a city for a couple of years. When people say it's difficult to get a job at CPS, trust them. I know teachers are having difficulty everywhere ... but this is among the worst places in the nation right now to actually get a job. Chances are if you DO get a job at CPS, it will be at a very, very rough school. Some people love this because you are making a large impact. However, make sure you're prepared for the teaching environment.

I am very lucky that I did get a job. I work for the best charter school in Chicago (tried hundreds of CPS schools, but no dice). I teach on the West side and I cried every day for months. I dread going to work each morning and I fantasize about quitting daily. (Previous to this, I was a teacher for years in FL and never cried once and LOVED my job.) Feel free to message me if you want any more details. I don't want to discourage you -- just giving you one teacher's perspective.
Back when I was teaching in CPS there was a guy teaching a different subject area that was younger than I was and went to private high school / college in Chicago, his parents were immigrants and he got scholarships but he was utterly shocked at how different his experiences were then those of many his students. Many times he was completely emotionally distraught by just how little care for education was exhibited by students and their parents / guardians.

He has continuesd to work in CPS and now has a position that includes administrative duties but the frustrations that jjjttt expresses are not uncommon in CPS...

Old 11-12-2013, 07:52 AM

Hi jjjttt,

Thank you for letting me know. What is your background? Meaning, what do you teach, etc.? I know it is hard to get a job everywhere so I figure that IF (and that's a big if) I am able to get a job at a good school, then I should go. I am also going to look at the suburbs surrounding Chicago, not just CPS. Is it your school that you dislike every day or is it the school system? Are your frustrations specific to teaching or to specifically Chicago? Although I work in a great school in NC, the teaching conditions are horrible. I am still very happy to be a teacher but if I stay in NC, I know that I will begin to wear down. I am fine with a ton of parental involvement (which I have) and the students needing a ton of help (I teach very special classes) but when the school system tells me that I am no longer allowed to give zeroes and that I have to pay for substitutes, I get frustrated.

Any insight would be much appreciated! I am looking at other big cities but it seems like Chicago has the city life that I want and the teaching conditions that I want (in the suburbs). I am very aware that there are some rough rough schools in CPS!

Old 11-14-2013, 08:22 PM

80 posts, read 102,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmreichelt View Post
Hi jjjttt,

Thank you for letting me know. What is your background? Meaning, what do you teach, etc.? I know it is hard to get a job everywhere so I figure that IF (and that's a big if) I am able to get a job at a good school, then I should go. I am also going to look at the suburbs surrounding Chicago, not just CPS. Is it your school that you dislike every day or is it the school system? Are your frustrations specific to teaching or to specifically Chicago? Although I work in a great school in NC, the teaching conditions are horrible. I am still very happy to be a teacher but if I stay in NC, I know that I will begin to wear down. I am fine with a ton of parental involvement (which I have) and the students needing a ton of help (I teach very special classes) but when the school system tells me that I am no longer allowed to give zeroes and that I have to pay for substitutes, I get frustrated.

Any insight would be much appreciated! I am looking at other big cities but it seems like Chicago has the city life that I want and the teaching conditions that I want (in the suburbs). I am very aware that there are some rough rough schools in CPS!
I don't want to be TOO detailed because I'm scared of being discovered. I taught Reading/English 6-12 for years in Florida. While FL has a pretty crappy educational system, I was ranked among the top 3 teachers 5 years in a row at my school. I did a lot of training for the district and had the highest passing rates on standardized tests.

I'm teaching Social Studies/Reading at a high school here in West Chicago. Because it's a charter school, I work 65 hours/week instead of my usual 55. Also, the school year is much longer and I get 1/3 the amount of days off as public schools. I imagine my complaints are more school-focused ... I am routinely criticized and the culture thrives on analyzing your faults rather than your strengths. I taught one of my most successful lessons ever (to make a long story short, I had high schoolers at a 3rd grade reading level analyzing and interested in primary documents, producing impressive work), but I was reprimanded because a few kids were slouching during the lesson. No exaggeration.

Anyways ... the suburbs are a great move, but it's intensely competitive. If you can get a job where you want in the Chicago area, I definitely say go for it! I don't regret moving here because everything except for my job is perfect - city life, personal life. However, I can't enjoy much because I'm constantly anxious and on-edge about work. Each day, I try to "give up" and care less so it doesn't affect me so deeply, but ultimately ... I can't give up on my students, so the vicious cycle continues.

As long as you are prepared to have a thick skin and deal with Chicago-style politics, it's a great move. Feel free to ask more detailed questions and I'll answer the best that I can!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago