Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 11:28 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,285 times

Advertisements

Man, the ghetto really is an unstoppable force of (American) nature. No matter what, it'll be somewhere.

And as to the OT, I'm sure the UIC campus and nearby areas (though it's not like Tri-Taylor is some utopia now) would have been much crappier without the students and nearby businesses smoothing the roughness. It's not like the Italians would have stayed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 11:36 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
How about if UIC were in Hegewisch?

Old 09-19-2013, 11:50 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
If you haven't read the Daley bio American Pharaoh, I highly recommend it. There's a good bit of info regarding the UIC project, and yes, it seems like destroying Little Italy was part of the plan, and may have had organized crime overtones. There is certainly not enough info out there regarding post-Capone and how the Irish and Italian mobsters (street and political) co-existed.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:54 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,348 times
I've heard that UIUC almost ended up in Kankakee originally but have never been able to verify it. While Kankakee is currently a joke, both it and Chicago would have been better off with the state flagship school just 55 miles from downtown.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:58 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
I've heard that UIUC almost ended up in Kankakee originally but have never been able to verify it. While Kankakee is currently a joke, both it and Chicago would have been better off with the state flagship school just 55 miles from downtown.
I agree.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:09 PM

158 posts, read 302,304 times
Remember the West Side is a straight shot downtown. From Pulaski and Madison you are 5 Miles due West of Downtown you can see it from there. That was a great shopping area and it is also smack in between Harlem & Lake Oak Park's famous Commercial District and Downtown Chicago.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:25 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,435,938 times
I can't think of a single positive reason to destroy a city park for UIC, especially one of Chicago's grand parks linked by the boulevards. If the park was run down, then the city should have its feet held to the fire and devote resources to keeping it up - no park anywhere will just maintain itself.

If people were getting mugged in it, the solution is not to destroy the park, it's to ake changes such that it no longer is a crime magnet. If people destroyed parks where there was once crime, we would no longer have Central Park in NYC, the Fens in Boston, or Piedmont Park in Atlanta. What short-sighted thinking.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:27 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
If you haven't read the Daley bio American Pharaoh, I highly recommend it. There's a good bit of info regarding the UIC project, and yes, it seems like destroying Little Italy was part of the plan, and may have had organized crime overtones. There is certainly not enough info out there regarding post-Capone and how the Irish and Italian mobsters (street and political) co-existed.
Interesting. Most of the elite mobsters themselves had moved to the suburbs by then, but I'm sure Taylor Street and the surrounding area was still a hotbed for a lot of things.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:48 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
I suspect the greater driver was the potential for the residential character of the old west side to rapidly shift from old school types to the scary fist pumping rioters...

The architecture is a classic "brutalist" style that often accompanied "urban renewal" projects of that era -- the main classroom building even at DePaul's Lincoln Park Campus looks like something that could be used as a shelter during weeks long siege...

The specific paths of hemming in the campus serves to make a literally "blockade" against any potential angry horde storming into the Loop from the SW -- a potential that undoubtedly was not wholly impossible.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:21 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
^^ Yep and I noticed the windows on some of the buildings look like those built in the time period constructed purposefully so that one couldn't shoot/throw things through the windows. I'm talking about the ones that look like the MCC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago