Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 12:10 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times

Advertisements

Chicago Not Actually ‘Murder Capital’ Of, Well, Anything « CBS Chicago

It took them awhile to catch on, but it's refreshing to see a mainstream news source opt for statistical accuracy over sensationalism for once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 12:50 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Anybody who knows math/statistics would think the article is obvious, but unfortunately for many people it's not. They think raw number is the end all be all of stuff (Of course we admit the number is too high but it's still not the whole picture) ,which is sad.

The article seriously sounds like they compiled a bunch of our posts on here and edited them down.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:46 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,980 times
Quote:
Regardless, next time someone says the “South Side isn’t safe,” do me a favor and fart in their face.
Journalism at its best

I agree with the article though.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:57 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
I never take the murder crime stuff seriously. It's all sensationalism at best. I know people who live in Detroit who are just as safe as any place. The same can be said with Chicago. Its about your life and choices you make. Not the city.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:02 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,421,409 times
Chicago obviously is the murder capital, in terms of raw numbers.

And it obviously isn't, in terms of proportions.

I never heard anyone claim that Chicago has the highest murder rate; though plenty of news sources say it has the highest number of murders (which is indeed true).

Trying to confuse the issue is useless, IMO. The fact is that Chicago has far too many murders, and has lots more than NYC and LA, despite being much smaller. Why is that?

Old 09-27-2013, 03:17 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Oh come now...

DOES NOT MATTER!

Must put head in sand!

Must stick fingers in ears!

Must shout loudly: So much better public transportation than LA, so much more dense! So much less expensive than NYC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post

I never heard anyone claim that Chicago has the highest murder rate; though plenty of news sources say it has the highest number of murders (which is indeed true).

Trying to confuse the issue is useless, IMO. The fact is that Chicago has far too many murders, and has lots more than NYC and LA, despite being much smaller. Why is that?

Old 09-27-2013, 03:46 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
I don't know the statistics but I think there is little doubt that, say, Chicago's worst half dozen to dozen neighborhoods are among the worst in the country.

The fact that, you know, technically some neighborhood extends to X Rd. and includes 20,000 people east of such-and-such viaduct who aren't blowing each other to pieces, thus dilluting the figure, is hardly noteworthy. (i.e. parcing just how bad New City is.)

Old 09-27-2013, 04:05 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,980 times
Oh no....another 10 page thread is brewing..

Old 09-27-2013, 04:33 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post

The problem is that most people only pay attention to raw numbers, and many don't even have a concept of proportions in this case. Really even then, proportion isn't good enough on the whole level. A city is pretty complex, so the safety of a city, even at the neighborhood level, is not good enough sometimes. Sometimes safety can be completely block-by-block or within a few block radius of some point. I know of areas of town here that are "unsafe" at the high level when you say the neighborhood, but there are safe areas within the neighborhoods completely. Of course, there are whole neighborhoods here that are completely safe. Really, all big cities are like this, but most people don't have a concept of this nor do they understand statistics or proportions for that matter.

Quote:
I'm not going to go into "why", but NYC and LA have both done a better job than Chicago in the last 20 some years in reducing their homicide rate. However, what also gets lost in the fold is that although Chicago still has a lot, it's about half of what it was in the late 80s and early 90s.. Not sure how many people even realize that but things were overall much worse 20 years ago than today. Most types of serious crimes in many (no, not all) neighborhoods have actually been decreasing for awhile.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:26 PM

498 posts, read 724,499 times
India, the murder capital of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago