Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 07:54 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,187,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
For $1,000/mo? Maybe if it's one of those 200 s.f. dorm room-sized ones.
It depends. When I was apartment hunting earlier in year I found one of dorm sized ones for $850 off of Fullerton using Domu. It would have held a full sized bed, dresser, and a small bistro style table and chairs. Chicago Apartment Savvy then showed me one that was easily twice the size, if not more, with a large separated kitchen nook for $1050. It was off the Wellington stop though, so it was just barely in Lakeview, but still.

I didn't end up in either place though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Agreed, and really it'll be a little hard to get a 1 bedroom between Diversey and Grand and East of the Red Line. Also, in my opinion, the area north of Diversey along Broadway/Clark is actually better/a little cooler than the area South. That's me though, but I know there's a number of people who would agree with me.
I agree, I love Broadway with all the restaurants, shops, bar and grills, and grocery stores. It's so terribly convenient haha.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:12 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
It depends. When I was apartment hunting earlier in year I found one of dorm sized ones for $850 off of Fullerton using Domu. It would have held a full sized bed, dresser, and a small bistro style table and chairs. Chicago Apartment Savvy then showed me one that was easily twice the size, if not more, with a large separated kitchen nook for $1050. It was off the Wellington stop though, so it was just barely in Lakeview, but still.

I didn't end up in either place though.
So what did you end up renting, where at, and why?

Old 09-30-2013, 08:13 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,083 times
Quote:
I agree, I love Broadway with all the restaurants, shops, bar and grills, and grocery stores. It's so terribly convenient haha.
I see that Broadway and Clark intersect right near the Diversey red line stop. Does this mean that I should extend my range up to Belmont? What is so great about that area along Broadway?

Old 09-30-2013, 08:28 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
I see that Broadway and Clark intersect right near the Diversey red line stop. Does this mean that I should extend my range up to Belmont? What is so great about that area along Broadway?
The area along Broadway north of Diversey all the way up near Addison is full of a bunch of great shops, restaurants, eateries, etc. It's basically a continuation of what's south of that intersection (except that intersection has chains on it), but possibly with more and it's even cheaper on average possibly than what's south of it. There are also express buses that run along Lake Shore Drive like the 146 which runs express from Belmont Ave (which is north of Diversey) to Michigan and Delaware in the Gold Coast/Streeterville.

Really, lots of good stuff north of it for a little bit. Actually it's funny because my friend pointed out that along that stretch, there's been three chefs from restaurants on Broadway on Top Chef. Pretty funny.

Also, Diversey is not a Red Line stop. It's only a Brown and Purple Line stop. There are two Red Line stops about equidistant to the Diversey stop. One is Belmont to the north and the other is Fullerton to the south. The area closer to Belmont is cheaper on average than Fullerton. The time it takes on the red line to get from Belmont to Fullerton is also only 3 minutes, so you wouldn't be sacrificing much and IMO Lakeview is better than Lincoln Park.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
So what did you end up renting, where at, and why?
I ended up renting a small one bedroom not far from Addison, in between the Addison red line stop and the lake. I'd give you more specifics, but I'd prefer to not put my intersection on a forum.

I chose there because the one bedroom was cheaper than the large studio I found, albeit with a smaller kitchen, and wasn't far from the CTA red line and express buses to downtown. Being able to walk to bars in Boystown and Wrigleyville was also important, as that's where I primarily go out with my friends.

Also, the large studio had a security deposit instead of a move-in fee. I wasn't willing to cough up an extra $1050 up front at the time, as I was just about to start law school.

Quote:
I honestly would extend it up to Addison. For example, if you're standing at the intersection of Broadway and Addison you're right next to a Jewel and a Walmart Express grocery store. If you go another couple of blocks from that location you're at a Treasure Island grocery store on Broadway and a Whole Food in the opposite direction on Halsted. Broadway, especially between Addison and Belmont, also has a ton of places to eat, which was important to me.

PS: Diversey is off the red line track, but it's actually a brown line stop. Same with Wellington. Just a head's up.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:10 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,423,448 times
Quote:
PS: Diversey is off the red line track, but it's actually a brown line stop. Same with Wellington. Just a head's up.
If the OP works in the loop it probably doesn't mater if he takes the red line and gets off on State or the brown/purple line and gets off on Wabash though the brown line would add some time because it goes arround Wells and Vanburen before it hits the Wabash stops.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:26 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,285 times
With that salary, I'd urge you to stay under $900 if you want to actually have money to enjor the city.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:35 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,164,606 times
Quote:
If I were in yr position I'd go farther north on the red line, like near Lawrence or Argyle. More affordable housing there, still on red line.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:47 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,599,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
With that salary, I'd urge you to stay under $900 if you want to actually have money to enjor the city.
That would be barely over 1/5 of his salary. I guess it depends on what one does to enjoy the city, but he can spend more than that on rent of he wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago