Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 05:40 PM

138 posts, read 637,573 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a recipe for Chicago Red Sauce? My boyfriend wants to make it but can't find a recipe. He doesn't know what spices go in it, just says it is sooo good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 07:08 PM

146 posts, read 468,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenn or ozark bound View Post
Does anyone have a recipe for Chicago Red Sauce? My boyfriend wants to make it but can't find a recipe. He doesn't know what spices go in it, just says it is sooo good.
I am unsure if you are asking for a BBQ sauce or Italian gravy (red sauce) recipe.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg453 View Post
I am unsure if you are asking for a BBQ sauce or Italian gravy (red sauce) recipe.
Italian gravy. It's for putting on a Chicago style beef sandwich.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:29 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,512,756 times
A Chicago style beef sandwich doesn't have red sauce. It's not tomato based. More like beef broth with a bunch of spices.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
A Chicago style beef sandwich doesn't have red sauce. It's not tomato based. More like beef broth with a bunch of spices.
My boyfriend is messing me up. He asked for the recipe, but now he says you are right about Chicago beef sandwiches. He had a sandwich at a Chicago style deli in Reno, NV with red sauce and he wants to know what was in it because it was really good. I said, "How are they going to know what you are asking?" He said, "They won't". Now I am rolling my eyes, but I can't find a smiley for that.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:17 PM

367 posts, read 1,205,204 times
Quote:
My boyfriend is messing me up. He asked for the recipe, but now he says you are right about Chicago beef sandwiches. He had a sandwich at a Chicago style deli in Reno, NV with red sauce and he wants to know what was in it because it was really good. I said, "How are they going to know what you are asking?" He said, "They won't". Now I am rolling my eyes, but I can't find a smiley for that.
You can get an italian beef sandwich in Chicagoland with red sauce. Or at least you used to be able to, my grandma used to take me someplace that would do red sauce, but that was 15 years ago.

Maybe that doesn't make it a "Chicago style beef sandwich", but I eat what tastes good, not what's most "Chicago".

Old 09-10-2009, 11:15 PM

68 posts, read 215,069 times
Chicago pizza places that offer Italian Beef used to have red sauce, not so much anymore. Of course, you can still get it that way if you ask, they have plenty of red sauce. A basic tomato sauce recipe is ridiculously easy to find, just google it. If you really want to get into it, make sure you use imported Italian plum tomatos, however, I will tell you, that there is one brand of tomatoes that is the BEST in the world, they are from CA, and the brand is Alta Cucina, look for them at Italian grocery stores, they are well worth the effort.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:54 AM

35 posts, read 106,879 times
Quote:
have you been diligently waiting almost 3 years for a reply?

Old 09-11-2009, 02:39 AM

146 posts, read 468,100 times
Quote:
Red sauce (marinara style) is more commonly available on a combination (combo) sandwich which is Italian beef and Italian sausage. It is more of a personal preference than a rule.

Here is a basic Italian beef recipe that is posted on Gonnella Bread Company's website for Italian Beef.

Gonnella - Gonnella at Your Grocery

Old 09-11-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjaja View Post
have you been diligently waiting almost 3 years for a reply?
I have not, but the computer remembers. Apparently when I posted my question three years ago, I subscribed to the thread so that I would receive an email if anyone responded. I had forgotten that I even posted my request here. But the program duly sent me my email. And my boy friend still wants the recipe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago