Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2013, 09:32 AM

955 posts, read 1,831,897 times

Advertisements

Neighborhoods that gentrify often seem to have a uniqueness about them that draws people in. Wicker, Logan, UV etc. That's why I think gentrification likely will stall out just west of Humboldt blvd. and Logan Square.

Going west beyond that, you'll find mostly plain jane, aging, working-class Chicago. Not all too unique or aesthetic. It's densely populated and undergoing new hardships due to over-crowded schools, newly arrived
street gangs and a growing low-income population. I think it's going to take a lot more than trendy bars and restaurants to seed any significant gentrification. Gentrification needs new bodies with good incomes to settle en masse in order to make a big change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 11:00 AM

62 posts, read 135,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
Neighborhoods that gentrify often seem to have a uniqueness about them that draws people in. Wicker, Logan, UV etc. That's why I think gentrification likely will stall out just west of Humboldt blvd. and Logan Square.

Going west beyond that, you'll find mostly plain jane, aging, working-class Chicago. Not all too unique or aesthetic. It's densely populated and undergoing new hardships due to over-crowded schools, newly arrived
street gangs and a growing low-income population. I think it's going to take a lot more than trendy bars and restaurants to seed any significant gentrification. Gentrification needs new bodies with good incomes to settle en masse in order to make a big change.
Area close to park is improving now, I thing will stall out west of Central Park.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:01 PM

39 posts, read 52,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salata87 View Post
Area close to park is improving now, I thing will stall out west of Central Park.
No way it goes that far west. Best case scenario improvement reaches kedzie, but realistically it will probably stop around Humboldt blvd.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:36 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebizkit View Post
No way it goes that far west. Best case scenario improvement reaches kedzie, but realistically it will probably stop around Humboldt blvd.
There are many new homes (and a few multi dwelling buildings) and such being built between Humboldt and Kedzie, just north of North Ave. So you are already technically incorrect at least due to new construction north of North Ave at least.

I updated my map of NEW CONSTRUCTION building permits in and around the area. I extended it back to 2009, though the majority of these are from 2012 and 2013 with a handful in 2011, and then a little bit in 2009 and 2010. Based off of this, I bet it would continue to at least Kimball.

http://goo.gl/maps/t4Q0X

Old 10-13-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There are many new homes (and a few multi dwelling buildings) and such being built between Humboldt and Kedzie, just north of North Ave. So you are already technically incorrect at least due to new construction north of North Ave at least.

I updated my map of NEW CONSTRUCTION building permits in and around the area. I extended it back to 2009, though the majority of these are from 2012 and 2013 with a handful in 2011, and then a little bit in 2009 and 2010. Based off of this, I bet it would continue to at least Kimball.

http://goo.gl/maps/t4Q0X
Well if you want to be technical, anything north of north ave isn't even considered Humboldt park. I have seen a lot of people moving to areas around armitage and central park, but that's not Humboldt park imo. I still think the east Humboldt revitalization will reach Humboldt blvd but will lose its steam around kedzie.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Well if you want to be technical, anything north of north ave isn't even considered Humboldt park. I have seen a lot of people moving to areas around armitage and central park, but that's not Humboldt park imo. I still think the east Humboldt revitalization will reach Humboldt blvd but will lose its steam around kedzie.
Technically speaking, the borders do go north of North Ave. The official borders of HP go to a little part that is bounded by Humboldt Blvd on the east and Bloomingdale on the north, but it extends to Bloomingdale all the way to its western border ...technically. So there are actually a number of new SFHs (and a few multiple unit buildings) part of the map that are technically part of HP. Here is the official map from the City of Chicago:

http://www.cityofchicago.org/dam/cit..._W_Numbers.pdf

Also, it's showing a migration and inferring potential. Given the number of new/new-ish homes in that specific area, especially in the last 1.5 years, it would suggest that the migration may continue a little west and probably north of, or around North Ave. That is, depending on how many of those homes are developer homes and being bought, and how many are people building themselves. Even if you don't think it's part of HP, it's still happening at least in that little sliver on the border of HP and Logan Square.

Last edited by marothisu; 10-13-2013 at 10:47 AM..

Old 10-13-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Technically speaking, the borders do go north of North Ave. The official borders of HP go to a little part that is bounded by Humboldt Blvd on the east and Bloomingdale on the north, but it extends to Bloomingdale all the way to its western border ...technically. So there are actually a number of new SFHs (and a few multiple unit buildings) part of the map that are technically part of HP. Here is the official map from the City of Chicago:

http://www.cityofchicago.org/dam/cit..._W_Numbers.pdf
Fair enough, but I never said that improvement will not reach north of north ave, In fact I think North Ave will look better than Division in a decade. I'm just not sold on the idea that west of Kedzie will see significant improvement. Even though there is a bunch of building going on around Kedzie the map you provided shows a huge lack of building West of Kedzie.

Quote:
Also, it's showing a migration and inferring potential. Given the number of new/new-ish homes in that specific area, especially in the last 1.5 years, it would suggest that the migration may continue a little west and probably north of, or around North Ave. That is, depending on how many of those homes are developer homes and being bought, and how many are people building themselves. Even if you don't think it's part of HP, it's still happening at least in that little sliver on the border of HP and Logan Square.
New Life Covenant is buying up a chunk of properties as well, not sure if that's a good thing or bad... even though I'm leaning towards the latter.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Fair enough, but I never said that improvement will not reach north of north ave, In fact I think North Ave will look better than Division in a decade. I'm just not sold on the idea that west of Kedzie will see significant improvement. Even though there is a bunch of building going on around Kedzie the map you provided shows a huge lack of building West of Kedzie.
I agree with you about North Avenue as it's closer to some hipster or gentrifying areas so it will probably see more of that type of action, maybe... As far as West of Kedzie goes, it's not there yet, but I think it will be. I think if people are buying the houses in that area just east of Kedzie, then the area just west of it may become more attractive in the future.

Quote:
New Life Covenant is buying up a chunk of properties as well, not sure if that's a good thing or bad... even though I'm leaning towards the latter.
Interesting. Where about?

Old 10-13-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I agree with you about North Avenue as it's closer to some hipster or gentrifying areas so it will probably see more of that type of action, maybe... As far as West of Kedzie goes, it's not there yet, but I think it will be. I think if people are buying the houses in that area just east of Kedzie, then the area just west of it may become more attractive in the future.
Well if they ever decide to re-open Humboldt branch of the "L", that would probably create a boom in the area.

Quote:
Interesting. Where about?
Outside of the MEGA Church they are building on Division and Homan, I don't know the exact addresses of the other locations. But, if you drive up and down Humboldt Park you will find about half a dozen New Life covenant buildings.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Well if they ever decide to re-open Humboldt branch of the "L", that would probably create a boom in the area.
Is that the line that kind of followed Grand Ave for a little bit? That would be cool to re-open it, just like how the Pink Line was opened only 7 years ago.

Quote:
Outside of the MEGA Church they are building on Division and Homan, I don't know the exact addresses of the other locations. But, if you drive up and down Humboldt Park you will find about half a dozen New Life covenant buildings.
LOL messed up...I'm with you - I wonder how good or bad that will be for the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago