Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 12:43 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
There are definitely more transplants sticking in Lakeview and probably a lot of other places, but housing, schools and COL still prevent *most* would-be suburbanites from setting up shop permanently.
In those neighborhoods, yes. The price of SFHs are often too expensive. I have a coworker who said he would live in the city again if he could find a good priced SFH in a neighborhood that has everything he needs but his place in the suburbs is a much better deal. He did say that he plans to move back to Chicago after his kids graduate high school though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 01:30 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,277,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
In those neighborhoods, yes. The price of SFHs are often too expensive. I have a coworker who said he would live in the city again if he could find a good priced SFH in a neighborhood that has everything he needs but his place in the suburbs is a much better deal. He did say that he plans to move back to Chicago after his kids graduate high school though.
I know several people in the same boat.

I do know a few middle class people who are raising their families in Andersonville and Lincoln Square, but in both cases they got their houses back in the 90s when the prices up there for SFH were more comparable to a suburb.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:45 PM

166 posts, read 259,780 times
Quote:
I know several people in the same boat.

I do know a few middle class people who are raising their families in Andersonville and Lincoln Square, but in both cases they got their houses back in the 90s when the prices up there for SFH were more comparable to a suburb.
And this is exactly what a neighborhood like EHP and Avondale is currently offering. You can buy an existing SFH and either tear down or gut rehab. You'll end up with a beautiful SFH in the city close to everything that's hot and still have a nice community. And the price will be comparable to the burbs.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:07 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedCubbieBlue View Post
And this is exactly what a neighborhood like EHP and Avondale is currently offering. You can buy an existing SFH and either tear down or gut rehab. You'll end up with a beautiful SFH in the city close to everything that's hot and still have a nice community. And the price will be comparable to the burbs.
Yep. And if your employer is downtown it won't take you 90 minutes & a case of road rage to get to work.

I also just realized the fact we're talking about East Humboldt Park and not West Bucktown really says it all. It means Humboldt Park itself has turned a corner and is now seen as an asset. And rightly so - it's an incredible park.

edit - what modest priced multi-unit buildings in Avondale and Humboldt Park also offer is a long term strategy of renting out a unit for 5 - 10 years, and then converting the building to a single family once you have built up the equity and/or saved up funds for the rehab.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:38 PM

190 posts, read 315,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
meh, i'm with Chet, there are only so many hipsters to go around.
my issue with this line of thinking is grouping everyone that moves into that area of the city as "hipsters".

hipster has pretty much just become a buzzword that means young, urban, and middle class and little else at this point.

i hear all sorts of people being called hipsters these days and those are the only unifying traits.

if a limited number of "hipsters" was going to be the thing to halt development, than i think gentrification would have slowed a long time ago.

the reality is that more middle class people want to live in the city than anytime else in recent history.

the (original notion of) hipsters might lead the way, but what follows are people who simply want to live in a safe enough area of the city that's also somewhat affordable.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbersoul89 View Post
my issue with this line of thinking is grouping everyone that moves into that area of the city as "hipsters".

hipster has pretty much just become a buzzword that means young, urban, and middle class and little else at this point.

i hear all sorts of people being called hipsters these days and those are the only unifying traits.

if a limited number of "hipsters" was going to be the thing to halt development, than i think gentrification would have slowed a long time ago.

the reality is that more middle class people want to live in the city than anytime else in recent history.

the (original notion of) hipsters might lead the way, but what follows are people who simply want to live in a safe enough area of the city that's also somewhat affordable.
The hipsters are important to the process, though, as they are the marginally employed people who venture further and further out looking for that $500 a month apartment.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Yep. And if your employer is downtown it won't take you 90 minutes & a case of road rage to get to work.

I also just realized the fact we're talking about East Humboldt Park and not West Bucktown really says it all. It means Humboldt Park itself has turned a corner and is now seen as an asset. And rightly so - it's an incredible park.

edit - what modest priced multi-unit buildings in Avondale and Humboldt Park also offer is a long term strategy of renting out a unit for 5 - 10 years, and then converting the building to a single family once you have built up the equity and/or saved up funds for the rehab.
It's potentially a good investment but I think EHP is still a ways away from Joe Family Man, who would otherwise be moving to Naperville.

Let's not go nuts.

I actually know three people who are home owners in EHP and can't get rid of the houses.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:47 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
The hipsters are important to the process, though, as they are the marginally employed people who venture further and further out looking for that $500 a month apartment.
They are important, but not necessarily the only ones who contribute to the process.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:21 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,988,331 times
Quote:
It's potentially a good investment but I think EHP is still a ways away from Joe Family Man, who would otherwise be moving to Naperville.

Let's not go nuts.

I actually know three people who are home owners in EHP and can't get rid of the houses.
I agree with this. We couldn't seem to give away our house in EHP. Things there are improving, but it will be a long time before I personally would consider moving back there.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:44 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,570 times
I do feel bad for anyone who sold in EHP between 2007 and 2012, what a bad play
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago