Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 09:14 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times

Advertisements

Hollywood began in Chicago (true story), so it's just cycling back home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 10:53 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,823,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
While Chicago is clearly an awesome city, I don't think television does the city-scape any justice. While I get that Chicago can be a refreshing change to NYC in TV/Movies at times, Chicago just doesn't give me thee wow factor on TV.
I think a lot of it is the way they shoot. I mean they show nothing special of Chicago on those TV shows. They never shoot on the beaches during the summer. They never show Millenium Park, or the Museum Campus. Or Lake Shore Drive. They show the typical downtown area, that in reality aren't all that unique.

That show Betryal actually did a good job.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:28 AM

896 posts, read 1,399,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
I think a lot of it is the way they shoot. I mean they show nothing special of Chicago on those TV shows. They never shoot on the beaches during the summer. They never show Millenium Park, or the Museum Campus. Or Lake Shore Drive. They show the typical downtown area, that in reality aren't all that unique.

That show Betryal actually did a good job.

True, I think TV shows need to feature different areas of Chicago. All I knew before coming here in 2007 was tall buildings downtown and The South Side. I was in awe when I first saw Lakeshore Drive. I did not even know it existed.

If they shot more views like that Chicago would look amazing on TV. Unfortunately the only time I saw Lakeshore footage angles was on a story about Chicago Crime back in 2008 talking with Mayor Daley, but the views made Chicago look amazing!

Old 10-22-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
True, I think TV shows need to feature different areas of Chicago. All I knew before coming here in 2007 was tall buildings downtown and The South Side. I was in awe when I first saw Lakeshore Drive. I did not even know it existed.

If they shot more views like that Chicago would look amazing on TV. Unfortunately the only time I saw Lakeshore footage angles was on a story about Chicago Crime back in 2008 talking with Mayor Daley, but the views made Chicago look amazing!
Right they just feature downtown buildings that's all. While downtown is one of the most important parts of the city, if not the most, I don't feel it gives you a true feeling of the city. I feel like a true feeling of the city would be shooting in places like six corners on Milwaukee/Damen/North, or Lake Shore Drive, or Logan Square, etc. What really gives Chicago it's flavor. Downtown is amazing but is very sterile in character. Everytime I see Chicago in movies and what not, for the most part, Chicago is displayed in a sterile manner.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:36 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Right they just feature downtown buildings that's all. While downtown is one of the most important parts of the city, if not the most, I don't feel it gives you a true feeling of the city. I feel like a true feeling of the city would be shooting in places like six corners on Milwaukee/Damen/North, or Lake Shore Drive, or Logan Square, etc. What really gives Chicago it's flavor. Downtown is amazing but is very sterile in character. Everytime I see Chicago in movies and what not, for the most part, Chicago is displayed in a sterile manner.
Totally agree. I was trying to even find pictures once of Milwaukee/Damen/North on a typical weekend night and I couldn't find anything. Not even videos. People are out enjoying themselves, so it makes sense. I love street scenes and street vibrancy, so maybe I'll become like Vivian Maier and take some random pics all throughout town.

It's true though, besides the downtown area, the image of Chicago is not much. It's usually just "ghetto" (which we know that not all bad areas look bombed out anyway). Some shows like Chicago Fire have done an OK job showing other parts of town, but it still doesn't make you get a feel for the city like it should.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:13 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Don't forget the elevated trains. Holy crap does Hollywood love them some el tracks. If you had never been here and only knew of Chicago from movies/TV, you'd think we have at least one track crossing every block and parallel tracks above 1/3 of our streets.

The way Chicago was portrayed in Blues Brothers and Ferris Bueller made me want to go there as a kid. I still have friends who want to see locations from those movies when they visit the city.

I have no idea why LSD isn't shown more often by Hollywood, though. It really should be.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Don't forget the elevated trains. Holy crap does Hollywood love them some el tracks. If you had never been here and only knew of Chicago from movies/TV, you'd think we have at least one track crossing every block and parallel tracks above 1/3 of our streets.

The way Chicago was portrayed in Blues Brothers and Ferris Bueller made me want to go there as a kid. I still have friends who want to see locations from those movies when they visit the city.

I have no idea why LSD isn't shown more often by Hollywood, though. It really should be.
I think the only time I have seen LSD in a movie, was in some stupid Julia Roberts movie. It was actually a real nice scene. It's the view from in the area between North Ave Beach and Oak Street Beach and then pans up to the John Hancock.

I haven't seen the Blues Brothers since I was like 10 so don't remember much. But Ferris Bueller, I like how they represent the city. I feel like it real made Chicago feel like a cool and warm (people wise) city.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:57 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
While Chicago is clearly an awesome city, I don't think television does the city-scape any justice. While I get that Chicago can be a refreshing change to NYC in TV/Movies at times, Chicago just doesn't give me thee wow factor on TV.
While Chicago doesn't look anything like NYC on TV, it still comes across as very photogenic, IMO.

One TV show I used to watch just for the Chicago scenes was the 1990s show "Early Edition", starring Kyle Chandler. I thought the premise was pretty hokey -- some guy gets tomorrow's newspaper today and then has to go out and stop all the disasters from happening -- but when it comes to showing different parts of the city, I thought they did a pretty good job.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:45 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
While Chicago doesn't look anything like NYC on TV, it still comes across as very photogenic, IMO.

One TV show I used to watch just for the Chicago scenes was the 1990s show "Early Edition", starring Kyle Chandler. I thought the premise was pretty hokey -- some guy gets tomorrow's newspaper today and then has to go out and stop all the disasters from happening -- but when it comes to showing different parts of the city, I thought they did a pretty good job.

If they can portray Atlanta's Piedmont Park as Central Park in NYC in movies they damn sure can do the same with Chicago

Old 10-24-2013, 12:11 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Hollywood began in Chicago (true story),
Them plate tectonics is amazing, ain't they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago